5.0 out of 5 stars Charges iPad faster than the stock charger
Published on January 12, 2011 by W. Costley

1.0 out of 5 stars worked for 1 month then died
worked great -- then died... while i was (am... i write this from the road) traveling! And 2 weeks after return window ended.

update:
Published on November 5, 2011 by WorldTraveler

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges iPad faster than the stock charger, January 12, 2011
This review is from: Griffin Technology PowerDuo 2 amp Power Charger for iPad, iPhone and iPod (Black) (Personal Computers)
This item includes a wall plug adapter, a cigarette lighter adapter, and a sync/charging cable that works with various Apple devices (such as the iPad, iPhone, and most iPod models). The advantage to this particular set is that the charging port puts out 2.1 amps, which means that it is designed to charge the iPad at the same rate as the adapter that is packaged with the iPad. Some reviewers on Amazon and elsewhere have reported that it actually charges the iPad slightly faster than the original adapter, and I confirmed with my Kill-a-Watt that the Griffin actually draws about 10% more power from the wall than the stock adapter (see details below). I do not have the tools to accurately check the current draw from the cigarette adapter, but I wouldn't be surprised if it also charges an iPad more quickly.

STOCK iPad ADAPTER:
When first plugged in: 11W
After a few seconds: 10W
Above 80% charge: 9W

GRIFFIN POWERBLOCK WALL CHARGER:
When first plugged in: 12W
After a few seconds: 11W
Above 80% charge: 10W

The cable packaged with the Griffin chargers works not only as a charging cable, but as a sync cable as well; i.e. you can use it to connect your Apple device and your computer to sync data between them. If you have an iPad, it WILL charge as well--although the iPad screen will probably say "Not charging" and the charge rate will be much slower (.5A from most USB ports, compared to 2.1A from the wall or cigarette lighter).

The Griffin chargers are light but seem well built. The wall charger, although longer than the stock iPad charger, is only slightly thicker but not as wide (see my customer image), and it also has a folding plug. So it has a nice form factor that is just as convenient for travel as the original adapter. I just measured the cable (albeit roughly, since I don't have a tape measure handy) and it's about 42 inches long. I think it's about the same as the OEM cable that comes with the iPad.

This set is also available at the Apple store, so obviously Apple endorses this set of Griffin chargers for their own products. However, it is considerably cheaper here on Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great for iPad, iphone 4 and itouch 4th generation, December 29, 2010
Sam I Am "soff3" (Woodmere, New York United States) - See all my reviews
Finding a decent charger for Apple's newest products is not as simple as you think. All of the products above require newer more powerful chargers and most older ones will not work at all. In addition, the cheap newer copies are hit or miss and you really can mess up your i-product. This Griffin charger works great and charges quickly with no annoying messages popping up on your device. The company is very respectable. The conversion from wall to car is handy for traveling and the cord is long but not too long. . Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charges a Kindle 2, August 12, 2010
I have tried several of the USB wall chargers and none have been able to charge my Kindle 2. This one has charged everything I have tried it with. I really like the folding prongs on the wall charger, makes it easier to pack. I also like that this package gives you the ability to charge both in your hotel and in your car, all with the same USB cables.

I travel with a Kindle 2, a Blackberry, and a Ipod Touch. It works with them all. Additionally, one of my friends has the Ipad and I confirmed it does charge the Ipad in a reasonable time frame.

The light is not annoyingly bright like some other USB chargers, but easy to see.

My only wish is that the wall charger had multiple USB ports, but not dividing the current may be why it charges the Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best charger I've tried, November 30, 2010
I've gone through about half a dozen chargers for my various iDevices, and this one is the best by far.

* Charges very quickly compared to other chargers
* Works consistently with iPad and iPhone (no compatibility errors)
* Solid quality materials (superior to Apple's which I found to be quite prone to having a frayed/separated connector)

I will never again buy a cheapo charger. The quality in this one is well worth it. Highly recommended.

1.0 out of 5 stars worked for 1 month then died, November 5, 2011

update:
Now that i'm back from the field -- let me explain: It worked fine -- very well, in fact, for 5 weeks. Then I started to get a notice on my iPad that it was "Not Charging". In fact, it was still working, but only at a trickle charge rate. Basically, it stopped working, and according to all documentation from apple, it's the fault of the charger. It just crapped out -- after 5 weeks. Damn, I had high hopes for it. I'll try to contact the manufacturer and let you know how it goes, if they help, I'll improve the review!

update #2:
Griffin Technology will replace the failed charger. I'll still have to pay shipping, but at least I will get a working charger, right?

5.0 out of 5 stars Cable does work for syncing, May 2, 2011
There must have been a different cable in earlier packages. The one that came in my order syncs fine and allows playing through the headphone jack at the same time it's charging.

This works great for charging the iPad and iPod Touch 4th gen. I was a little worried about charging my iPod with these since they puts out more power than chargers designed for an iPod only. Not to worry, each device will only draw what it needs, the charger won't put out more power than the device can handle. So, one charger for both my iPod and iPad when I travel is very convenient.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Charger, March 21, 2011
ideal for short travels, voltage 110-240

works with:
ipod touch 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation.
ipod classic 160gb (2009 only)
ipod nano 4th, 5th and 6th generation.
iphone 4, iphone 3gs, iphone 3G
Ipad.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Price and Works, December 23, 2010
EWR (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
Well I had a bunch of old chargers for older iPods, but the new iPod Touch 4 does not work with the older chargers as it needs 2amps like the iPad. At this price and including a car charger it couldn't be beat. I even like that I now have use for my extra USB cables to charge other USB Charged device.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good charger for iPhone and iPad, August 18, 2011
Purchased this after we found out the Griffin car charger we have doesn't power the iPads, so I looked for a replacement. We found this one that also comes with a standard AC adapter to use at home plus the car charger and figured it was worth a shot.

It charges the iPod Touch, iPhone 4 and iPad 1 and 2 beautifully. I have had no problems with any of our six iDevices. All have charged quickly and with no problems. A nice feature on the AC unit is that the plugs fold into the unit making it perfect for travel. We packed this on a week trip recently and it performed great.

The included sync/charge cord is roughly three feet long. You get that plus the aforementioned car charger and home charger that can also be used for other USB devices as they both have a standard female USB port.

For the price, a very good buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warning for travelers to foreign countries, December 4, 2010
The product works well in the United States. The transformer specs state 100V to 220V input range. However, when it was used in Japan, where the power outlet voltage is 100V, it discharged my 4th generation iPod Touch. Fortunately, my friend had a charger made by apple; it was able to charge my iPod Touch in Japan.