Griffin iTrip Auto FM Transmitter for iPod Black
Price:$5.57 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on October 23, 2009
Verified Purchase
On my quest to find a FM Transmitter, I bought a different itrip from Griffin, but it did not charge my ipod nano 4th Gen. So I called Grifin and they told me that in order to charge my ipod nano 4th Gen that it needs to be an itrip with Smart Scan technology. So i returned it and bought this one, and i'm very happy with it.

1. This unit charges our ipod nano 4th Gen no problem. The ring of light on the cigarette lighter plug lights up red when initially connected denoting power to FM transmitter, then amber once the ipod is connected (charging), and then it turns green when the ipod is fully charged.

2. I have a sealed radio in my car so therefore don't have an audio input unfortunatley (2005 Volvo s40 2.4i) and so FM Transmitters are a way of life for me. Your not going to get the perfect sound quality from these like you would with a direct input, so check to see if you got an aux input in your car first and then just buy a charger and a double male head phone wire. I have a Sirius Radio has an FM Transmitter so i'm use to dealing with changing frequencys every so often. I live in NJ and am in NYC and Long Island a lot. My car can tune to 87.9 which I use for the sirius radio almost everywhere, but sometimes while in NY I use 93.3 (pretty high on the frequency list, but for some reason it's clear).

3. Check to make sure your car can go into 87.9 range first, these channels are hardly ever used by radio stations, then switch this grifin itrip autoscan to international frequencies just press function, then press AND HOLD mode for roughly ten secons until a new menu appears. It'll give you US, EU, and JP choices above each of the three buttons on the itrip. I picked JP (for japan) which enables all the normal US frequencies plus the lower range, lower then my car can go, my car only goes to 87.3 or something. A funny thing is that when i tune my car and itrip to 87.9 i get static, but if i keep the itrip at 87.9 and tune my car to 87.8 it comes in perfectly clear. It doesn't do that in my wife's car, 87.9 is 87.9. Just set one of your car radio presets to that and your good to go!

4. I took someone else recomendation to adjust the ipods equalizer to "Acoustic" and that definetly sounds better.

5. Long story short, I like this product, I got it for a heck of a lot cheaper then any FM transmitter at the apple store. One downfall which people do mention is that it is a tad bit hard to read the display of the itrip when you got a glare, but you can set your own presets on the itrip. Autoscan function is stupid, but apparently this is the model that'll charge the ipod nano 4th gen. Scan the radio yourself for static/ or free channels and then tune the itrip to those.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 1, 2008
I've bought many FM transmitters from Kensington to Monster to DLo. This one is by far one of the best ones I have used. Kensington worked well, but stopped working after about 3 months of using it. I had returned others because there was too much static. I like this one because it searches for the 3 clearest channels that you could use, a feature that many others FM transmitters do not have.
Verified Purchase
As soon as you plug this FM adapter into an iPhone 3G you get a message stating that it really is not and truly can never be an official iPhone product and if you would like to turn off every feature of your iPhone that makes it an iPhone (namely the phone) just click "yes" and your iPhone will go into the aircraft mode and pretend that instead of crawling around in South Florida traffic you are jetting off to Europe.

The first couple of times I got an abbreviated and less descriptive version of this message, conditioned as I am to doing everything Steve Jobs wants me to do if I am using any Apple product (and I have a lot), I said "yes, yes, turn off that phone feature."

This was a mistake you can avoid by careful attention to this review. Here is our little secret (and please don't tell Steve I told you). If you click "no", the iPhone works just fine. You will be able to receive incoming calls, incoming emails, and text messages from your kids who have fingers far nimbler than yours ever were at any age.

Your iPhone will even pause the music before the phone rings so you can pick up business calls and actually speak without Jimmy Buffett singing "why don't we get drunk and screw?" in the background. If like me you actually receive calls from people other than your significant other, this is a useful feature which in its own way promotes marital harmony.

Now that feature alone would be worth the price. But it also charges your iPhone 3G, something even Steve Jobs doesn't talk too much about. And it contains another feature called "SmartScan" (to differentiate it from competitors' "dUMBsCAN" versions I guess). This feature is one you can read all about on the Amazon website but not in the so-called owners manual which I cut in two trying to get the unit out of its protective packaging. Anyway this feature automatically scans your radio to find the three most ideal channels to play your iPhone over your car's radio. Well here is how smart the system is-it ignores the fact that automobiles do not stay in one location and that legal (and pirate) radio stations cover the dial. It is truly a lot easier just to find an open spot on the FM dial and set the transmitter accordingly, a feature I learned from the dUMBsCAN folks.

Now let's cut to the chase. Does it work? Will your collection of Club Med Silly Songs actually play over your car radio. The answer is "yes" at least until someone wants to call you.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 8, 2008
This is one of those products that is only as good as your level of expatiation. I own a 2005 Subaru which has a sealed music system. There is no reasonable way to get into it. If you have any direct connect alternative, I would strongly recommend doing so and avoiding any FM transmitter. If you do buy the iTrip as I did, expect some compromises.

Just sending music over FM alone will diminish the quality. This is to be expected. What really effects this product is where you travel. I live half way between Philadelphia and New York city. The FM airwaves are crowded with stations. Including TV in the 87 range. Depending on where I drive, it is almost impossible to listen to. I could endlessly scan and try to find dead air, but there are just too many stations to deal with. If you have read some of the other reviews as I did this is no surprise.

Knowing the limitations, why did I buy the iTrip anyway? I didn't want or expect to use it on my daily commute, I bought it for taking on road trips. I take several trips a year to rural locations. There is very little radio and the trip is long - perfect for getting into some music. This is where the iTrip works well.

The scan feature is good, but the display is impossible to see in bright sun. If you travel alone this could be a problem. You will have to turn the volume to max on your iPod - and I had to adjust the settings to find a tone range that didn't sound too bad. The built in charger is a must.

Bottom line is if there is any way to avoid this product - do so, but if you have no choice this will keep you from going crazy listening to those country stations on long trips.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 9, 2009
Verified Purchase
Let's cut to the chase: we bought this to hook up an iPod to the car stereo without lugging around a bunch of cd's. With the 8gb Nano, it holds a lot of music (sorry, I'm not into watching movies on a tiny screen. If you do, you got to get a life). I'm using this in a metropolitan area and the frequency I'm using is as low as possible - 88.3.

Pros: Simple to use. It CHARGES the new iPod Nano during use, (not listed in the Amazon site). The buttons make it easy to tune in a specific frequency. It has idiot lights to let you know the status of your iPod and the unit itself. Went to the Griffin web site to check the compatibility just to make sure. Uses a mini 2 amp fuse to protect the iPod and that is a great feature!

Cons: The "search" feature didn't always find the clearest channel especially at higher FM frequencies. As in previous reviews, I tuned it to the lowest frequency possible that would deliver a clean sound. My radio doesn't go down to 87.7 so I had to find the next higher and clearest signal. This is not really a con since for the money we are all trying to maximize our iPods for the lowest dollar amount we want to spend and to use this in the car for those long trips or just wanting to hear your favs are worth it.

HINT: The tuner function is great. Find the clear space on the radio and tune the iTrip. Usually the lower the frequency, the less "white noise" is present. Also, adjust the iPod's EQ to fit what would sound best to you, (I set mine to Acoustic) and adjust the tone quality of the car radio. The car radio volume will have to go up a little.

This is a great little product at a fair price. So the sound isn't perfect, but what the heck . . . you got your iPod playing in the car!
on April 6, 2009
Verified Purchase
I was hesitant at first because I read reviews about the display being hard to read in the daytime and about the sound quality to be crap but found that both of these reviews were wrong. I live near DC so we have a lot of radio stations and depending on where/how far you're driving will determine if/how frequently you'll have to change your FM transmitter station. I really like this type of transmitter compared to the docking station kind because I can pass the iPod in the car to whomever to flip through songs as opposed to having to be in arms reach of the cigg lighter and twisting it to see the iPod display. It worked so well we bought one for the other car and although it didn't say it in the description at the time this also works for our 4th gen Nano.

**Edit- Although the bought both from the same store the second one I received had a different screen than the first. The first had a plain screen as the one shown in the picture but the second one seemed to have a gray/quasi reflective screen. I can still see the display fine during the day and you wont be changing the station constantly so it shouldn't be a huge deal.
on January 3, 2008
I have been a loyal user of the Griffin iTrip products for over 3 years now, and have always thought they worked well. I currently am using the Griffin 9501-CBL iTrip, available on Amazon for $39.25 new, with my 5G video iPod. I've never had a problem with this transmitter - decent sound quality, easy to use, and pretty great signal integrity. I bought my wife an iPod Nano for Christmas, and thought she'd like to have her own FM transmitter to use in our minivan (2006 Odyssey). Purchased this new version at Best Buy for $89.99 (highway robbery, I know). We opened it up and trialed it on a trip to the relatives and I was immediately taken aback by how terrible it was. You could barely read the LED screen in the sunlight in the car, although it looks cool. It's reflective, and you can't see through it when the light is hitting it! That's an awesome idea. Secondly, it has this "smartscan" feature that seemed to work more like "dumbscan". Instead of supposedly finding the 3 best stations to use on the FM dial (that had the least interference), it was actually finding REAL RADIO STATIONS in our area. It found our public radio station, saying that was a good channel to use. It does not go to 87.9, so I dialed it down to 88.1. There was huge feedback and hiss throughout our entire drive, and I had to have my wife actually hold the cable to get the hiss down to a tolerable level.

We then did the same trip 4 days later (3 hours in the car across Iowa and Wisconsin) with my old Griffin iTrip, and it worked perfectly in our minivan. So it's not the car. It's the iTrip.

I took it back to Best Buy last night, and plan on purchasing my wife another of the old iTrips right here on Amazon.

Do yourself a favor and do NOT buy this thing. Get the old iTrip and you'll thank me.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 28, 2008
If you live in/near a populated area, this thing is a piece of garbage unless you put it into international mode, then it works decently (although still not perfect). I read a lot of people saying they did it by going to settings - mode and holding down the middle button, which didn't work for me, it just gave the firmware version. I was about ready to throw the thing out, but then I got it to work by hitting the settings button, then holding down the "mode" button. It takes a while, but then I could pick US/EU/JP which allowed me to set it to 87.5, which my car stereo picks up, and there is no interference.
on January 19, 2009
I feel I should start by saying that my 5-star rating reflects the scope of the product: that is to say, I am not considering the superior sound quality that I would achieve if my car stereo had a line-in jack when writing this review.

My old FM transmitter was recently stolen so based on reviews and my satisfaction with the previous generation of iTrip I decided to give this one a try with my 2nd gen iPod Touch. In my area (a fairly dense suburb), I know a station that works very well for me and so I didn't use the SmartScan feature at all for quite some time.

However on a recent trip from San Francisco to Los Angeles I used the SmartScan feature frequently and it worked so well that I decided to write this review. I changed stations maybe five or six times in roughly 400 miles, and each time I wound up with crystal clarity. The trip from SF to LA is pretty sparsely populous, mind you, but even while passing through larger towns this thing really surprised me.

I recommend you try and find a good station for your usual driving area through trial and error. For me, the SmartScan doesn't actually pick up the station that I use. The reason I prefer my own choice is that it works very well in almost all surrounding cities, rather than being "perfect" in only my very immediate area.

As with my previous iTrip, the sound quality is excellent. Virtually no static is apparent.

I keep the antenna on my car retracted. I don't have any strong evidence to support my theory that this helps the transmitter to overpower radio stations, but it seems to work out for me.

The previous generation of iTrip that I owned had an annoying problem where it wouldn't always remember the station I was on each time I started up my car. The new one does not have this problem.

I can't say this iTrip will work well for everyone everywhere (it won't), but that SmartScan button was sure a life-saver during my recent road trip. Great product.
on July 23, 2010
BACKGROUND:
I had been looking for a FM transmitter/charger that worked with my new iPod Touch 3G 64GB since my old adapter/charger did not function with the 3G. I also needed it not put any undue weight on my car's DC socket. My DC socket had been cracked already due to undue stress from the drink holder's location directly above the socket by the previous owner. So I couldn't purchase one of the holders that use a long bendable cable and the socket as a base.

PROS:
Charges and broadcasts simultaneously
Auto-scan for weak stations good for broadcasting a signal. (this worked fine for me unlike what other reviewers have said)
Auto pause when the ignition is switched off.
Great reception in my 98 Toyota Corolla with a front antenna
Relatively inexpensive
Plug and play with no obnoxious disclaimer from my iPod telling me I was not using an authorized device.

EDIT: This tuner works poorly in my wife's 99 Prizm with REAR antenna.

CONS
It broadcasts over FM and can't get better reception than FM provides, DON'T expect CD quality.
If you drive long distances you will probably have to switch stations due to interference at some point in the drive.
If you leave your radio on, when you start the car there is a brief 1.5 sec interval of jarring broadcast static while your device "remembers" what the last setting and station was. (Not a big deal but this did not occur with my old FM transmitter.)
Some cars have poor antenna placement or signal interference that will prevent ANY FM transmitters from working well.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations