5.0 out of 5 stars Non-obvious grilling recipes, well organized, March 22, 2008
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
Chris Schlessinger and John Willobughby were the authors of The Thrill of the Grill which was among the earliest books I encountered for "gourmet" grilling. There may have been other books, but Thrill of the Grill got me to think of cooking on the barbecue rather than just slapping a hunk of meat on the coals. _Grill It!_ follows in the same theme, this time with some inspiring photos (the sort that make you say, "Yum! Let's make that!") and with more ethnic flavor.

Most books in the grill/BBQ genre are organized by main ingredient (such as Beef) or by the stage in the meal (such as dessert). This one takes a different angle, which I think works very well: the way you cook the item. So while there are chapters for "things with wings" and "water-dwellers," there are also technique-based chapters like "on a stick" and "put a lid on it." It works for me, though I've already had to consult the index because I wasn't sure where to look for the "grilled figs with blue cheese and crispy ham" recipe I remembered seeing.

The recipes range from the relatively mundane with a special twist, such as "rosemary-grilled New York strip steak with caramelized red onion jam" and "mustard-glazed pork tenderloins with date-sage relish" to the exotic or unusual, such as "port-glazed grilled pheasant breasts" or "grilled super-fiery west Indian chicken breasts with sour orange mojo." Instructions are clear and follow-able, using ingredients generally available, and the full color photos (for at least half the recipes) make me drool.

That'd be worth five stars right there, but this book also promises grilling techniques, and I think it delivers well. (I've been grilling long enough that I have a hard time remembering what confused me about the basics.)

One thing I appreciate is "flavor footprint" for each ethnic region; for example, the section on India shows you which five spices you _must_ have for grilling with this cuisine, and gives you a few starter recipes that use them (such as "all purpose Indian masala rub" and "curry-mint paste"). A clear photo identifies each of the 12 "signature ingredients" so someone new to the cuisine can recognize them. These short sections would be handy for a newbie even without the grilling theme.

It is, incidentally, about _grilling_, and primarily with wood or charcoal rather than gas. Not that the recipes wouldn't work on a gas grill -- that's what we use -- but if you're a charcoal type, the author's instructions will be especially helpful. There are a dozen slow-cooked items, including "smoke roasted whole duck with orange, ginger, and hoisin-chile sauce" and a Texas-style slow beef brisket, but they're definitely assuming you're cooking slowly on a grill rather than (in my case) in a smoker. I haven't made any of the slow-cooked items yet (though I do have my eye on that duck recipe...) but I think they'll all work fine in my smoker, too.

Overall: This is a really good grilling book. I like it, and I trust these authors. I think you'll feel the same way.

5.0 out of 5 stars I DO LOVE THIS BOOK. PERSONALLY TESTED SEVERAL DISHES FROM IT., January 8, 2009
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
Grill It by Chris Schlesinger and John Willoughby may not be the only grilling book you will want to own or read, and I certainly would not recommend it as such, but if you can only afford one book, this would be my choice. These authors are the same two that brought us The Thrill of the Grill, a very nicely done work in its own right, but they have out done themselves with this one.

To begin with, just about every bit of basic information, and some not so basic, you will need to know about grilling is found between the covers of this one. The book begins with types of grills available, with plus and minuses noted on each, types of fuels and the plethora of tools now available to the backyard enthusiast.

Chapter headings in this book include Firing up, Steaks, Chops and Ribs, Water-Dewellers, Put a Lid on it, On a Stick, Salads from the Grill, Sides and Snacks and Sips and Sweets. The book in not necessarily stuck in the same old order that you normally find in such works. This one sort of goes back and forth, giving you grilling techniques along with wonderful recipes and recommendations as to variations. This may sound a bit complicated, but it isn't. In fact, this is one of the most useful works I have read on the subject.

Other than the general headings mentioned above, each section also addresses glazes, spices, accompaniments, and is extremely strong on describing techniques. We have full meals, veggies, fruit, baking salads, steaks, chops, fowl, sea food and so much more fully described and photographed. This work is also very strong on ethnic delights, from South American, Turkish, Oriental, Moroccan, Mexican, and everything in-between. There are literally hundreds of dishes represented here; each is accompanied by wonderful photographs and excellent, easy to follow instructions.

One of the many things I like about this book is the author's attitude toward cooking. They encourage experimentation and are not hung up on "exactness." There attitude seems to be "try it and if it works, great, if it does not work, well then try this....." I guess this fits my attitude also, so I was able to understand exactly what they were saying.

Now as to specific recipes; I certainly have not tried ever one of the ones presented in this book...yet. I have personally cooked up several which include many of the vegetable dishes, Cuban-Style Smoked Ribs, Mediterranean Spiced Rubbed Port Chops, three Moroccan-style dishes using scallops and most of the Turkish dishes using lamb. I have also used several of the fish and shell fish recopies and techniques in this work. This list is not all inclusive, but is a good example of what we have tried. There was not one of these dishes that was not absolutely delicious and not one that did not receive rave reviews from friends and family! Now I am not an expert cook as my wife is; am not a gourmet cook as my wife is, so if someone like me can turn out the dishes that I have prepared using this book, then anyone can.

(A note of caution here and/or advice: When cooking the meat dishes, the success or failure of your dish will greatly depend upon the cut and quality of meat uses. Do not skimp in this area!)

Unlike so many cookbooks of today, the ingredients given in this one are, for the most part, available locally, and if they are not, can easily be found on line, particularly some of the spices. It should also be noted that the fare presented here goes from the quite simple to the quite complex and there is something in this book to please just about every taste.

What I would suggest, which is what I did; first check this one out form the library and try a couple of the dishes and give the book a going over. If you like what you cook and find (which you will), then go ahead and purchase the thing. We have a vast collection of cookbooks gathered during the last fifty or more years and I have to say that for outdoor cooking, this one is probably he best of the bunch in that category.

Don Blankenship
The Ozarks

4.0 out of 5 stars Great reference, August 13, 2008
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
Got this book as a reference for my husband after we purchased a new grill. Great reference and making it easy to experiment with new recipes. We had grilled fruit last night for dessert. Wow!

5.0 out of 5 stars visually stunning, March 23, 2008
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
beautiful pix, excellent recipes from a couple of grilling veterans. I bought three copies: one for me and one for each of my two sons. This book makes your mouth water!! Arthur J. Goldman

5.0 out of 5 stars everything in it it so good., July 8, 2014
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
I have since bought five more copies of this book to give as gifts. everything in it it so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Grill It! (Paperback)
This book is well written and with good simple recipes & pictures as well. It's a must have if you like to cook outside and so fourth.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, January 31, 2013
This review is from: Grill It! (Paperback)
Very instructive and inspirational. Goes through the basics as well as more advanced stuff. Lots of fish and chicken recipes as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner., May 13, 2012
J. Raposa (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
Another great book from the author's. I have owned Thrill of the Grill for almost twenty years and this one is just as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Book, February 14, 2013
This review is from: Grill It! (Hardcover)
Book came in when estimated time was scheduled. Also is in great shape and came in the way it was suggested to be

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of "Grill It" book, July 24, 2011
This review is from: Grill It! (Paperback)
This is the first time I have purchased any used item thru Amazon, and I'm highly impressed. The copy was like new. Again, I take my hat off to Amazon, for their efficiency, speed and courtesy. Thank you so much.

Grill It!
Grill It! by Chris Schlesinger (Paperback - April 19, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.88