5.0 out of 5 stars Grilled Pizzas are terrific!
Published on October 20, 2008 by Mary Karlin

3.0 out of 5 stars gift
purchased as gift for my son in law who loves to grill out. Lots of different recipes. Only gave 3 star as the recipes don't appeal to my pallet but I think he will like the book.
Published 8 months ago by j***********

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Grilled Pizzas are terrific!, October 20, 2008
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
This book is a fabulous tool for any of us who love to grill; especially pizzas. It's the best how-to book I've seen on the topic. I teach alot of cooking classes and students always love learning to make grilled pizzas and flatbreads. Kudos to Craig Priebe and Dianne Jacob for creating a well-focused and thorough book on this popular topic. Craig's professional and competition expertise in this arena are ever-present on the pages. This expertise is obvious in the featured recipes as well as the coverage of a variety of grilling devices, how-to tips and party planning. Readers always love photos and this book features more than most these days; almost every recipe has a photo. What a treat! I love the unexpected choices for dessert pizza and piadini, especially the Pizza Sugar Cookies and the Churros! These are really tasty treats!

4.0 out of 5 stars These pizzas are a big hit, May 29, 2008
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
These pizzas are easy and can be quickly finished during a party. Our guests have all raved about them. The dough is simple and very well behaved. My only problem with the book is the number of sections that need to be bookmarked for easy access. For the first batch, when I needed to follow the instructions carefully, I was going crazy turniing pages back and forth. I finally put tabs on the dough section, the basic oils and sauces section, and the assembly and grilling instructions, so that I could find them easily as you need them for each recipe. I also suspect that being an experienced cook has helped as some of the recipes have too much cheese for my taste - or my ability to pile the quantity onto the pizza base - and some sauces need thickening adjustments.
All in all though, this is a great way to make pizzas, the results are fabulous, and I may be giving a few copies of the book away as gifts.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best grilled pizza!, November 13, 2008
Grillin' Mama (Decatur, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
Wandering the cooking aisle at our local library, I came across this delightful book. I love love love grilling, so thought I'd give it a try. What a totally delightful surprise! Instructions are thorough and clear for cooking absolutely tasty pizzas - a novice can do it! My family loved the rather simple but complex tomato/basil pizza. Twas so fresh, and new - it had us literally dancing on the deck with delight! I kid you not. Needless to say, I bought the book for myself. Piadinas are definitely coming soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Could Be the Grilled Gourmet Pizza Bible, February 8, 2010
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
Have made Grilled Pizza on four occasions with this book in the last 10 days. It is a marvelous book with exacting instructions on the dough, sauces and toppings - which I appreciate.

The dough is relatively easy to make, it is the preparation of the other items if you're making different pizzas, that takes time. And I do mean lots of time even though the authors make everything relatively easy to assemble and cook - herbed oil, sauces, grilling chicken, steak, sausage, carmelizing onions, saute' onions, chopping that and that, etc... Making pizza is more time consuming than steak, mushrooms and sweet potatoes.

Make the dough first -- because it needs to rise for an hour, then placed in the fridge for a couple of hours (for more flavor), then you've got to take it out to get it to room temp... So you might make the dough the day before -- it only takes about 10 minutes to make the dough - it's easy. You can also cut prep time by making only one type of pizza. But I like variety and this book gives you variety.

It also gives you pizza that tastes alive and fresh! My guests said it was the best pizza they've had in their lives -- and these were no spring chickens I was feeding -- they were accustomed to gourmet pizza.

Enjoy the book -- the authors have put their heart, soul and organization skills into it. Great pics! Great Salads and Deserts in addition to the Pizzas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile and clear, July 12, 2008
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
I love the versatility of this little book. The reader is shown how the various pizzas can serve as appetizers, main dishes for the family, as well as party fare. (There is even a party planning section with the various easy tasks for the party organized day-by-day!) The pizzas and piadinas are creative and yummy, and I found myself inspired to try my own creations as well. I loved the clarity of the lay-out--the techniques of dough preparation, rolling and grilling are first clearly explained and once (easily) mastered, the recipes are a cinch. The dough is great--you can roll out several pies, quickly grill them, then freeze these without toppings for future meals. And if you've never tasted pizza from the grill, you are in for a treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest grilling cookbook you'll ever own, July 5, 2008
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
If you really want to impress your friends, invite them over for gourmet grilled pizzas from this amazing cookbook. And the best part is all the prep work is done before anyone comes over so that you can quickly make the pizzas (alone or as a group) when the company arrives. The book is gorgeous and recipes are easy to follow. The Gamberian Pizza (with shrimp and pesto) and The Morrocan (with chicken and a sweet curry glaze) are to die for. And the kids go crazy for the Smores Pizza. You'll never view pizza the same way after you taste these.

4.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite thing, July 2, 2008
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
I love this book. The art of grilling pizza is simplified with great photos and descriptions on each step of the process, along with directions on how to do it on every kind of a grill including an indoor one or none at all. I started with the basic Margheritan - fresh mozzarella, fresh tomato sauce and basil. It was delicious and as mouth watering as the photo. Actually the final product turned out a lot like the picture which I always think is the sign of good cookbook. The Fresh Tomato Sauce recipe has become one of my favorites for more than grilling pizza. I now look through the book longingly envisioning my next pizza night - which pizza will it be? or should I make a piadini? Fresh figs are in season - hmmmm I think I'll try the Parma e Fiche pizza - fresh fig, prosciutto & Gorgonzola! Or maybe the Chicagoan - with steak baked potatoes and sour cream...what an enjoyable dilemma!

5.0 out of 5 stars Yum! Yum!, June 27, 2008
Daphne Alexander (Latitude Cultural Center, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
This week, I made the Thai and Gamberian pizzas for a group of 14, and they were a huge hit among very discerning diners. Everyone raved about them. One guest said that the Thai pizza was the best new thing she's tasted in years. Nothing was left. Can piadinas be far away?

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome book!, August 9, 2009
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
This is an all-inclusive (or nearly so) pizza recipe book. The recipes are pretty simple and involve ingredients that are readily available. The photographs are top notch. This book is a wonderful addition to any kitchen where the cook(s) like to make their own pizza. I still love one from my favorite pizza joint, but making one at home is a treat too. And this book has taken me to the next level!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grilled Pizza is Now My Favorite Food, May 24, 2013
This review is from: Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas (Hardcover)
This is a beautiful, well designed cookbook chock full of great photography and excellent recipes written by a pizza expert.

When I first purchased the book, I spent quite some time reviewing the various steps to making a grilled pizza before I rolled up my sleeves and started. The first section provides an overview and info on grills and gadgets. Next comes the section on mixing, kneading, rising and preparing the dough, followed by a section on sauces and toppings. Then the section on grilling is inserted, supplemented by many detailed photos so you know exactly what you need to do. The subsequent chapters list recipes for pizzas with meat, chicken, seafood or vegetables. Each of the pizza recipes is printed in a two-page layout with a picture on one page and a 2-column format of ingredients and instructions on the opposite page. The clean layout and great images satisfy my need for cookbook browsing.

There are additional sections for piadinas (a flatbread sandwich), salads, desserts and finally a section on party planning. Now that I've mastered the pizza grilling process and a number of the recipes, I'm definitely ready to throw a pizza party !

The process seems a bit daunting at first, and requires a lot of flipping back and forth between different sections in the book, but once you've made a few pizzas, you won't need to refer to the pages on how to grill the crust and how to cook the pizza - you can concentrate on the 2-page spreads of colorful and delicious pizza toppings. The process includes:

1) mix and knead the dough; let it rise for a couple of hours then refrigerate
2) make the pizza oil and fresh tomato sauce
3) prepare the toppings
4) roll out the dough and grill on one side
5) flip the dough over, spread on the herbed grill oil, add your toppings
6) grill pizza
7) slice & eat !

Among my favorites (so far) are The Millenium which features ground lamb, feta and kalamata olives; the Trattorian with sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms and bacon (a meat lovers delight !) I also love The Gamberian - sautéed srimp with pesto and tomato. I have made up my own recipes too, based on what is in the fridge. Once you've made a number of pizzas from the book, you start to understand the types and quantities of ingredients that will make compatible toppings. If you have picky eaters in your household that don't like the same toppings, you can make half and half pizzas or two smaller pizzas with different combinations.

Making the dough takes a few hours, but you could make a batch on the weekend and refrigerate or freeze it for easy weekday meals.

We can all have a trattoria in our homes if you adopt the recipes in "Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas
Grilled Pizzas and Piadinas by Craig W. Priebe (Hardcover - April 21, 2008)
$22.00 $16.45