Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: How The Grinch Stole Christmas (1966 TV Film)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Format: Audio CD|Change

on January 12, 2001
This album truly fits the bill. It does cover all the songs and full narration of Boris Karloff but be warned... it's not an exact soundtrack from the TV show. When Cindy-Lu Who speaks in this version, it's actually Boris himself which is quite a surprise. Charming nonetheless. A true classic.
on August 2, 1999
If you want the songs and story from the grinch christmass special that you watched as a kid and not some cheap sound alike, this is what you are looking for. I was very pleased. This is exactly what I wanted. This will be the best christmass ever! Now if only I can get a CD version of the Brady Bunch Christmass, my second childhood will be complete.
on December 23, 1998
How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a great Christmas movie, and with this CD, you can hear the music all year long. I highly recommend this CD because of it's entertaining music, and great beat. I think that if you are conscidering whether to buy this CD or not, do by it! Not only will you enjoy it, but for those of you who have kids, your kids will love it! Trust me, I know. How the Grinch Stole Christmas is a great story that teaches us all the Christmas spirit. It is a timeless classic that should be shared.
VINE VOICEon November 26, 2002
The Grinch has successfully displaced Ebeneezer Scrooge as the spirit of anti-Christmas for today's audience. And there are similarities. Just as Tiny Tim was a strong factor in Ebeneezer's redemption, the children are a strong factor in the Grinch's redemption.
It's a pleasure to be able to hear the great Boris Karloff narration, along with the songs, and then afterwards to again hear the songs reprised.
Of course, this is a short CD, just barely 30 minutes in length. One must realize that while the program was supposed to be a half hour long, nearly a third of the time was used for toy advertisements. The irony of it all, a beautiful story telling us that the joy of Christmas is in the spirit of Christmas, not in the getting toys is aired for the purpose of selling overpriced and non-imaginative toys.
Anyway, this is definitely a 5 star CD.
I've been a fan of the TV show for years, but didn't even know this disc existed until last year. I immediately bought it, and I love it.

It claims to be the soundtrack for the 1966 TV special of Dr. Seuss's How the Grinch Stole Christmas. I see some reviewers say it is different. I've only noticed one difference. Whether it is note for note exactly the same or not doesn't matter to me. It's still a great disc.

It only has 5 tracks. The first is Boris Karloff reading the story. It sounds remarkably like the TV special. It even has the songs edited into the story. The only change I noticed is here. Boris does all the narration, including Cindy Lou Who.

The other four tracks are the songs from the special by themselves. "Welcome Christmas" gets two tracks, with the second being a longer reprise. That track has additional words and an instrumental bridge. "Trim Up the Tree" is just as nonsensical as in the special.

Which brings us to "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch." I love this song in the special, and it is preserved exactly as it is here, including Thurl Ravenscroft wonderful voice. It's one of my favorite parts of the special, and I love having it here. I'll confess, I often listen to it two or three times in a row.

So if you are a fan of the TV show and love the songs, you'll be glad you got this CD.
on December 26, 2006
Here it is FORTY years after its premiere---and the "Grinch" soundtrack stands as one of the last of a great musical tradition that extends all the way from the 30's: completely scored in a colorful, very "legit" technical manner, based on a thorough grounding in classic song-writing and background scoring/orchestration. And this cd presents it all in bright, clean and detailed sound.

What is puzzling and fascinating is this: considering that the production of "How the Grinch..." in 1966 was apparently not an especially lavish one, how is it that the soundtrack exists in TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT VERSIONS, each with its own similar but different background music, and each with DISTINCTLY DIFFERENT arrangements of the three songs??

It's too bad that all of the major musical figures---Albert Hague (composer), Eugene Poddany (the guy who did the intense work of scoring the whole thing TWICE) and Thurl Ravenscroft (singer of "You're a Mean One..")---have all passed on; as institutional memory goes, we may never know why the work was scored and recorded one way for the film and another completely different way for the MGM soundtrack album. I can see some cutting and patching together of the film soundtrack and an EXPANSION of the songs for the LP---that would be logical---but an ENTIRELY new score?

I know I sound like a broken (LP) record, but I will continue to wonder about this. In any case, the 21-minute version of the soundtrack contained on this cd is great. And I must say that Boris KArloff's narration is absolutely BRILLIANT; it's so easy to take it for granted, since we all know it practically by heart. But take the time to really listen to Karloff's reading---the subtlety, the nuance, the pacing---the amazing RANGE of sound and vocal color--and the sensitivity of "the Grinch's small heart grew 3 sizes that day"......GREAT stuff!

And to think, Karloff could pull off this tour de force barely a year or so before his own death. (You will notice a frequent change in the audio

quality of the narration--sometimes with much low rumble and surface noise; sounds like it was assembled from a variety of audio sources).

The cd also contains the songs themselves WITHOUT narration as additional tracks---so you can really enjoy the tunes and lyrics of Hague and Suess AND the fabulous work of Mr. Poddany.

Yes, the CHORAL work is quite different from the TV version too. The women's voices are really pretty raw in this soundtrack version (Thurl says they only used 4 women total in the session), but at least you don't have to put up with that raucous, out-of-tune kiddie chorus which was looped over the adult voices in the TV soundtrack.

All-in-all a delight, and a great tribute to the talent of the people who created and performed it.
on December 10, 2015
Just the kind of moment, I need to get me through the holiday season! Lol I love children's movies and music for the holidays, brings back childhood memories. Happy w purchase and would definately recommend the Grinch for all this Christmas season!
on December 16, 2014
To me, Christmas isn't complete without a viewing of the classic "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" cartoon. Yes, I'm 27. If I had to pick only one Christmas movie to watch ever again, it would be this one (Christmas Vacation gets an honorable mention nod). So, that said, finally having the soundtrack makes my life complete (slight overstatement). "You're A Mean One" never gets old to me, and it must be sung by Thrul Ravenscroft. This is a must-have soundtrack for Grinch fans!
on June 4, 2016
The narration is just as I remembered it as a child. I like the animated version (1966) better that the recent one with Tim Carry. The recent version lacks have the voice of Boris Karloff which makes the narration.
on November 1, 2012
Really? Is there any reason to review such a classic? This is one of the most imaginative stories, one of the best takes on the meaning of a holiday that has been hijacked by retailers. Yes, I know, you can watch the DVD or see it on television numerous times during the holidays but there's something to be said for listening, sitting and listening to the story unfold. So stop reading this, click on buy it (while you're at it buy a copy for a friend) and get it on its way. Will bring you back to your childhood in the best sort of ways.