Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Sweepstakes in Prime Music Outdoor Deals on HTL

Format: DVDChange

on November 27, 2010
I was hesitant to buy this because there are so many reviews that say the color transfer was bad, but it seemed to be the only option to own this movie, so I decided to risk it. Colors on our copy were brilliant and the sound quality was great and clear - much, much better than the worn out video I grew up with. The Grinch was definitely very green. I assume that there must have been a problem with a batch of these DVDs that has since been fixed. I'm really happy with this purchase.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 1999
HANDS DOWN my all time favorite holiday special. When I find myself starting to hate the whole Christmas season [the crowded stores, combat drivers, and the noise, noise, noise....] I take the time to watch this show. Then I feel I have the stength of ten grinches plus two and the true meaning of Christmas comes shining through! From the memorable songs to the Chuck Jones animation. The brilliant casting of Boris Karloff to narrate and the uncredited singing of Carl Ravenscroft [voice of Tony the Tiger] for "You're a mean one mr. Grinch" really make this a great holiday special with a lesson for us all. I also have the privalage of working with a girl whose great uncle was Theodor Geisel [Dr. Seuss]. Although she never met him, I still think that's pretty cool!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 25, 2010
I have always been a fan of "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and ordered it in blu ray. It is beautiful in that the colors are vibrant and clear. The sound is excellent. Yet none of the original charm is lost.
I also like the way it allows me a free digital download of the film.
Highly recommended.
on December 9, 2010
I wanted to take the time to post this comment because I know that the re-colorized version has a horrible BROWN Grinch and that some comments mention their copy of the DVD had the same "ugly" Grinch. I almost didn't buy it because of that fact but decided to purchase it anyway since my daughter loves it so much and I didn't think she would mind a brown Grinch. However to my pleasant surprise he was green and, in fact, the colors were beautiful! As for the story - it's a classic that leaves me a bit teary-eyed in the end.
on September 20, 2011
I just purchased "Dr. Seuss' How the Grinch Stole Christmas"[Blu-ray], which comes with a DVD copy. GOOD NEWS! I'm writing to report that THIS dvd (unlike earlier versions) has ALL the correct colors intact. In earlier dvd versions, the Grinch was either brownish or a mustard-yellow. THAT PROBLEM IS OVER!!! The Grinch is his original green, and the entire production's colors look exactly as they were originally drawn to look. FANTASTIC!!! .....and the Blu-ray looks superb, too!
on December 15, 2008
The color on this version is terrible. Completely oversaturated to the point where much detail is lost. It is so bright that it is distracting. Yes, the Grinch is green - an unpleasant, over-the-top shade of green. They have also tried to justify the "50th Birthday Deluxe" title by creating some weird panning effects that are not on the original version. I was so distracted by the color and 'effects' that I found myself cringing rather than smiling nostalgically. I would not recommend this for those of us who grew up loving the original TV version. Cleaned up of dust etc. is one thing, but a reinterpretation is another. That is what you are buying here. A kindler, gentler, less heavy-handed approach to remastering is what I was expecting and sadly did not get. Now I have to find a different version. This one is going in the dustbin.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 1998
This is my all-time favourite Christmas video. It tells the well-known story of...well.."How the Grinch stole Christmas"! (the title says it all!) But more importantly, it communicates a very powerful message about Christmas. We get so caught up in all the "floof" and "fuzzle" that we forget what Christmas is really about.
"Every Who down in Whoville, the tall and the small, were singing without any presents at all. He hadn't stopped Christmas from coming, it came! Somehow or other, it came just the same."
The video also features memorable songs, I mean, who doesn't know the Whoville Christmas song? My favourite is "You're a mean one, Mr. Grinch". Listen to the lyrics, they're very funny! All in all, I highly recommend this video to any Who of any age. Have fun watching it and Merry Grinchmas!
on December 19, 2010
I actually saw this when it was first aired on TV, so when I realized I could get it on DVD, I had to have it to add to my Christmas collection of films for the holiday. Every year I watch a set of some 20 films at Christmas time that has become a personal tradition. Not all of them are specifically about the holiday, but many of them are set during Christmas or are about the underlying spirit of the holiday. For me the Grinch is very much part of that.

The DVD version appears--at least to me--much as it did when it first came out. The cartoon setting is very minimalist in character, in keeping with the tradition of animation during the 60s as developed by Hannah Barbara, for cartoons like Yogi Bear and Huckelberry Hound, and in stark contrast to some of that featured earlier in the genera, like Mickey Mouse, the Old Farmer, and others. The setting is less cluttered with detail, and features broad blocks of color that give an impression of content and emotive character and delight the eye. There is not the slightest attempt at creating "reality," which makes the magic of the story acceptable even to the most pragmatic.

Boris Karloff does the narrative and is the speaking voice of the Grinch. They couldn't have selected a better actor for the role. My mother once told me that a record company that featured stories for children had asked the man to narrate some of them, but that they had so scared the children that they failed miserably. She said she saw him once when we lived in California, and he seemed like a lovely, grandfatherly old gentleman who wouldn't scare a fly! This combination of the scary voice and the lovely, old grandfather seems to come across brilliantly in his narration of the Grinch story.

The music is simple and memorable. Who can't remember at least a few lines of "You're a Mean One Mr. Grinch?" The poetry by Suess is wonderful, well rhymed and tempoed work with wildly improbable words and great pairs of lines that give punch to the meaning of the words.

My favorite character is and always has been the little bewildered dog. How cute. That single much pruned horn tied to his head to make him look like a "reindeer" is just wonderful, especially when viewed frontally! And his manful and surprisingly successful attempts to move the huge sleigh uphill in deep snow is also delightful. I'd watch the film just for the little dog!

Especially for young children, the rather unthreatening "villain," his reclamation at the end, and the underlying theme that Christmas "doesn't come in a bag" makes the Grinch a wonderful choice for family holiday films.
on November 10, 2015
Warner Brothers has failed again with their "Deluxe edition" 50th anniversary. No sound upgrade is the biggest disapointment .If you have the original Bluray do not buy this. Imagine, Warner Brothers has both the Grinch and Charlie Brown Christmas 50th anniversary and they put only one out (The Grinch) and no remaster on the sound!!!! Even the 45th anniversary editions of frosty and Santa Claus is coming to Town have been remastered into DTS-MA 5.1 But all we get with this is basically a repackage..
on March 12, 2009
Be careful if it is "fulfillment by Amazon' and sold by "pieceofmindmedia" It arrived with just a clear case and claimed that it was listed that way, it wasn't. I was able to ship it back to Amazon for free for a refund.