5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Especially For the Price
Published on May 25, 2012 by Rossputin

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: This is NOT a burr grinder!
Published 22 months ago by Terrence Oas

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE: This is NOT a burr grinder!, September 1, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
This is not a burr grinder. It is an impeller grinder masquerading as a burr grinder. Underneath a metal plate meant to look like a burr are impeller blades like those found in the high speed impeller coffee grinders. You can tell this the instant you turn it on because it makes the high pitch whir of an impeller grinder. Like all impeller grinders, this grinder produces a grind with a lot of fines no matter how coarse the setting, which makes for very BITTER coffee. The low cost IS too good to be true. Don't buy it unless you want something a little more automatic but which produces the same results as a conventional impeller grinder.

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive Especially For the Price, May 25, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
I bought this because my Capresso Conical grinder conked out. I didn't want to buy another Capresso because I wasn't that thrilled with its performance. (Ground coffee gets packed around the grinding burr and is hard to get out. Also the machine generates a lot of static electricity, so when you pull the container away from the machine coffee gets all over the place.)
This Tru machine doesn't seem to have those problems, particularly not the annoying static electricity one. No coffee ends up on the counter. It also seems to grind to any size needed. A couple reviewers had problems not being able to grind for espresso. I had the opposite problem, the machine was grinding for espresso and I wanted drip. After playing around with the top (which controls the grind) I got what I needed. The settings on the machine just aren't very accurate or precise. But for under $40 bucks, I can live with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars A burr grinder for under $40 that works!, May 7, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
I purchased another inexpensive burr grinder that ground beans just fine, only problem was more coffee ended up on the counter than in the container. However, this grinder leaves zero coffee behind, it all goes into the container. I have been using this grinder now for a week, and it is easy to clean, fairly quiet (for a grinder) and not messy. I'm sure some people may ding it for not being able to grind anything other than coffee, but it's a coffee grinder, not a spice or nut grinder. Based on the fact this is a coffee grinder, it is an excellent coffee grinder and it is well worth the purchase, especially if you don't want to drop over a benjamin for a grinder.

I'm glad my blade grinder died, now I can have properly ground coffee with no "half beans" in the mix. Give this grinder a shot, you'll probably be impressed by it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect..., May 6, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
This is one of the best burr grinders I have purchased...consistent grind, very easy to use and very little mess. The biggest problem however, is that it will not grind fine enough for espresso, which is what I purchased it for. Regardless of what the manufacturer says, it's really only made for a French Press (coarse grind) or drip coffee maker (fine grind).

5.0 out of 5 stars Very happy with my new TRU Burr Grinder!, June 19, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
When you consider what you're getting for the price, I think this is a great deal!

I have a Drip, an electric (Presto 12 cup) percolator, a Bonjour Monet 8 cup French press, a 3 cup Bialetti Moka Express, and lastly an espresso maker. What can I say, I like coffee. I like the variety of coffees I can produce with this range of machines. Up until now I have been using a Braun Grinder which I bought many years ago for $20. I had successfully, for years, been using that grinder for all my coffee needs with satisfactory results.

For just a little more than I purchased one of those old school grinders I got the TRU Burr Grinder and I love it.

I have not had a problem making the grind fine enough for my espresso machine or coarse enough for my French press and everything in between. Everything is relative however. Perhaps a purist, or retired coffee house barista, would take exception. For me, however, I was able to make the same serious 'get-the-HELL-up-and-GO' strength brew out of my espresso maker with the fine grind of this machine.

I use this grinder 1-3 times a day. I've made coffee for 12 with my Presto perc and coffee for 2 for my wife and I with consistently delicious results. I like strong coffee. Very quickly I determined the ratio of 2 to 3 when I make coffee with this grinder. If I make 6 cups in the perc, I set the quantity selector to 9. If I make 10 cups I set it to 15. Works every time! Of course you may have to come up with a ratio that suits your tastes, but that's easy.

I did a lot of research and this price point is pretty much the entry point for burr grinders which go up into the hundreds! So, if you'd like to treat yourself, and don't consider yourself a coffee 1%'er then you'll probably be quite satisfied.

I'm no coffee snob but I'm no slouch either. If this thing sucked I'd tell ya.

Other Pros:
- Nice, attractive design.
- Relatively small footprint.
- Quantity setting with auto off.
- The ground catcher does not shimmy away while grinding. All the grounds go into the container and not on your counter.

Again, for the price, it would be hard to do better!! I am completely satisfied. With that, I highly recommend the TRU Burr Grinder.

1.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself!, August 15, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
I made a classic mistake -- trying to save money, i'm going to end up buying two grinders. The TRU grinder is loud and very slow (2+ minutes for a pot's worth), but I could live with that. Its huge problem is a terrible, terrible, terrible design. If you look at the picture, you can see the little canister that catches the ground coffee. It has a tiny little top that balances on top of the 1mm plastic sides and then the whole thing latches into the grinder in two places. It has to lock in for the safety to light up.

The top falls off at least five times every time you try this, spilling ground coffee everywhere. The ground coffee accumulates in in the latch, making it very difficult to latch. Then, as it grinds, it pops out. You'll find yourself doing the balance dance, then hugging the whole thing to try to keep it from disengaging while it chugs away. This thing is so messy, it ought to ship with a broom.

I am throwing it in the trash -- i might jump on it a few times first -- and paying up. Don't make my mistake!!

5.0 out of 5 stars It Gets the Job Done!, May 31, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
This is my first burr grinder and I've been enjoying it quite a bit. I've always had an old school coffee grinder where you hold down the button and the blades whir around so this is a new thing for me. It also means I don't have anything to compare it to, but I really enjoy this Tru Grinder. It holds a nice amount of coffee beans, you only have to push a little button once and it grinds up as much or as little coffee as you set it to, and you can choose whether you want it finely ground all the way to coarse. And the price was nothing to sniff at either. Very affordable compared to the others online.

I am no coffee connoisseur by any means but my coffee tastes good and strong in the morning just like I like it!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment in functionality, July 7, 2012
Linda (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
Grinds coffee nicely; however, the grind container into which the ground coffee flows is cheaply put together. The bottom and top of the grind container are perilously put together. I used this grinder less than six times before the base of the grind container came apart from the container, resulting in ground coffee spilling all over my kitchen. Now in order to use this machine I've had to scotch tape the base to the grind container to get the machine to work and keep the grounds in the container until I dump them out. What a cheesey grind container. If you're not dextrous, don't buy this product because you have to be very, very careful with the grind container. I'm sorry I purchased this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT LOVE IT, April 10, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
This is my first coffee grinder so I cannot compare it to others. I did my research and wanted a burr grinder but they are generally expensive. This grinder was gentle on my wallet and my coffee tastes sooo much better when useing fresh ground coffee beans. I'm feeling a little spoiled.

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, my neighbors don't., August 21, 2012
This review is from: TRU Burr Grinder, Holds 1/2-Pound Coffee Beans (Kitchen)
Mine just arrived and i've used it once, just now, at the office. Big mistake. The whole floor thought someone was drilling a hole in the break room. This grinder is LOUD. A closed conference room won't help you. I think if i did it outside, it would still be a nuisance.

For that reason, this is probably a great cheap burr grinder for your bachelor pad.

The mating between the bean hopper and the grinder is also the mating between the two halves of the burr grinder. You need to turn it several times before the light on the side turns on. You'll know when that light is on, it is nearly the day-star. This may be the reason folks are giving variable consistency reviews - there's probably some play between the "fine / coarse" setting and the actual ammount you have screwed the hopper in. Try going "off the scale" in either direction to resolve.

Knocked off one star for ridiculously loud, another star for the inaccurate grind selection.

Rate and Discover Movies