Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on June 17, 2011
I've been detailing my car since 1995. I've used quite a few wheel cleaners during my time and this is probably my favorite.

It is my favorite because it does the job well and it doesn't suffer from any of the negative aspects of some other wheel cleaners.

Griot's Wheel Cleaner is not a spray-on hose-off product. With this product, you spray it on, agitate it, and then hose it off. Griot's includes a yellow sponge with your order which is nice. Personally, I recommend buying their lambskin wheel mitt as it is more effective. I actually use this product with Griot's short-handle boar's hair brush and I finish up with one of the green three-finger detail mitts. I don't like any other detail tools for the wheels. Griot's sells a stiff foam brush with a black handle. I've used that and it is ineffective and a waste of money.

The Griot's Wheel Cleaner obviously removes the brake dust effectively. The reason why I like it is because...

1. It doesn't have a strong chemical smell.
2. It does not irritate your skin.
3. I believe it is also environmentally friendly
4. It doesn't damage any painted surfaces both inside your wheel well and on your car.

Here are some of my tips to make this product work effectively...

First, always work on a cool wheel. Then, spray just enough product on the wheel so that the mist coats the whole wheel. There is no need to waste product. Now here is the trick, make sure when you start to agitate the wheel with either the boar's hair brush or another brush or mitt that the tool is dripping wet. Don't use a dry tool on the wheel as it will just soak up the Wheel Cleaner and work ineffectively. The extra water helps lather up the wheel. Do one wheel at a time and work quickly with fast movement. Then hose the wheel down and follow up with a green detail mitt if anything is left behind. The key to the Wheel Cleaner is to get good lather.

This is one of my favorite products from Griot's Garage. I've actually never used P21S wheel cleaner because of the price and shipping charges. I've heard some people say that the Griot's product works just as well if not better. IMO, I don't see how a wheel cleaner could work any better than this product. The only wheel cleaner that I ever liked that was sold in an auto parts store was the Turtle Wax wheel cleaner because it was non-alkali based. If I was desperate for a wheel cleaner, I would use that. If I had choices, the Griot's Wheel Cleaner would be my first.

Griot's now makes several other wheel cleaners for specific wheel types. I think the Wheel Cleaner is a great general purpose wheel cleaner and you will be very happy with it. 35oz should last you a good while depending on how much you wash your car and if you use it conservatively. If you have a car that suffers from heavy brake dust and you like to keep your wheels clean, then you probably should invest in the gallon size. Griot's now makes a foaming sprayer and I just might pick that up as it seems more appropriate for this product than a misting sprayer.

I highly recommend this product.
on August 22, 2011
As a car enthusiast and one who has run various show circuits over the years I have tried damn near every product sold. This is by far the best "off the shelf" wheel cleaner I have used, bar none - added to which it does not have a frightening acidic; acrid, "if it touches my paint it will melt it off" odor to it as many other products due (i.e. Mothers is one of the most acrid smelling) READ the directions - put in on dry wheels, let it set for a minute (do not let it dry) then a quick spritz of H2O, a truly light scrub, rinse and continue to wash the rest of your car - .
Really a GREAT product - I HIGHLY recommend most of Griots products as they do wat they claim, the Foaming Spray nozzle is a must for this wheel cleaner and at $3 appx it's cheap - makes it super easy to apply.
on April 19, 2012
Hands down the best wheel cleaner I've ever used on my chrome! The dirt, grime and brake dust literally falls off and with just a little soap/water after it has an amazing wax-looking protectant. They always look like they were just polished. This stuff is expensive but it's worth the money!
on July 1, 2013
I have used many different wheel cleaners, some too powerful in that they damaged the finish of the wheel. This is gentler yet strong enought to clean hard to clean brake dust. I use it with the foaming spray nozel and puts down a good layer that sits on the wheel, rather than just dribbling onto the ground. I highly recommend.
on August 1, 2011
My car produces a lot of break dust, I've tried so many different kind of cleaner, including the one from Chemical guy hoping that it will do the job, but nope, I was disappointed.

Then one day I purchased Griot's kit which contained a bottle of the wheel cleaner... OMFG.. .wow the nozzle itself shots out foam which is perfect for covering good amount of area. Spray it on my rims, and scrub it a bit.. rinse... break dusts GONE !!!!! It was that easy.. the inner side of my rims is filled with break dust, which I usually don't clean(gave up), I spray some of Griot's cleaner on it, wait 10 secs, and scrub it, and rinse -- behold, it is CLEAN !!!

Highly recommended this product, it's a life saver !
on January 27, 2016
After installing brand new Akebono ceramic brake pads on my 335i, I switched to this wheel cleaner because I don't need anything like Sonax Full Effect or Einszett Colortec to dissolve large amounts of brake dust. If you're looking for a solid wheel cleaner that is relatively mild but still gets the job done, this is the one. It smells decent (not great), certainly better than most other wheel cleaners. Rinse the wheel, spray this on, let it sit for about 30 seconds if the weather is warm and about a minute if it's cooler outside. Agitate with wheel brushes and this cleaner will do the job well. Get the gallon, the price is relatively good.
on February 26, 2015
Bought this based on other user reviews and turns out to be one of the best auto care products I've purchased. We used to buying spray containers of big branded wheel cleaners which tend to run out after cleaner two cars. Griot's Wheel Cleaner is effortless when used according to directions (on cool wheels). After leaving on to let it soak into the grease, most of the gunk can be rinsed out with water alone with minimal scrubbing; whereas there are comparatively more scrubbing even with the big branded ones we've used previously (eg, Meguiar's). The 1 gallon size will last us a while, and will definitely purchase again when it runs out.
on April 12, 2015
I love Griots' stuff and buy their wheel cleaner by the gallon because I like clean wheels and this stuff works well. I've heard it all. Wheel cleaners REQUIRE some elbow grease - period. NOTHING works perfectly buy spraying it on and simply rinsing it off. Yes this will take off the majority of brake dust, as will most others, if you do that. However, try running your finger across the rinsed area and you'll still find a bit of brake film left behind. No problem. Light brushing with a good brush and "yer good to go". No this won't damage wheels. Used on 991 Porsche and BMWs
on June 26, 2015
Some reviews do note that this does not remove all of the brake dust and other grime by just spraying the cleaner on the wheels. For me, I don't want an overly harsh cleaner that may harm the wheel finish or at the least, remove the wax that I've applied to the wheels. This wheel cleaner is perfect if you don't mind applying a little elbow grease to get rid of stubborn grime. I've used this product in the past and will continue to use it.
on January 22, 2015
I bought a kit (Griots wheel kit) that came with a small bottle of this wheel cleaner. For my personal vehicle I use Sonax Full effect because I have high-dust perfromance pads but for all other cars I use Griots wheel cleaner. I was so impressed with the small bottle that I bought the gallon size. This works for mild to moderate brake dust (again, I use the Sonax for heavily contaminated wheels).