5.0 out of 5 stars CTA finally gets it right with Version 2!
Published on July 2, 2011 by ChillTown Y2J

3.0 out of 5 stars Better, but still not great for bigger hands
This is definitely an improvement over the 3DS by itself, but it's still not great for people like myself with really big hands. I think if the handles were a bit longer on each side, it would have been perfect.

Published 8 months ago by Allus Mureaux

5.0 out of 5 stars CTA finally gets it right with Version 2!, July 2, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I purchased CTA's first grip for the 3DS called the "Nintendo 3DS Hand Grip". This grip was okay but it didn't work well for me. I still got hand cramps after playing for 15 minutes or so. CTA listened to customer feedback and complaints about Version 1 of the Hand Grip and have released Version 2 called "Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS". This grip is wider and thus eliminates hand cramping for me! The silicone handles provide excellent grip and prevent the 3DS from slipping out of your hands. It just feels right, unlike the first version. They kept the plastic kickstand from Version 1 which you can use to prop the 3DS up if you want to watch movies. Gone is the SD card holder which was useless anyways. You have full access to all of the 3DS buttons, sliders and ports. My only suggestion for improvement would be to move the top left clamp a little more to the left because it takes a little work to get the stylus out. Other than that, kudos to CTA for making the best hand grip out there for the 3DS that eliminates hand cramping. If you have larger hands or experience any discomfort or cramping while playing the 3DS, buy this now! If you bought Version 1 and aren't happy with it, I recommend purchasing Version 2. I am very happy with it and I think you will be as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I dont usually write product reviews, I have only reviewed one other... But I had to put in my.02 for this one.

The people at CTS did this right!

I only noticed this version of the CTS 3ds grip by searching amazon, Im glad I saw it too, I was going to order the version ( ... ) but then I saw this one. read the other reviews and decided to try this one first.

( I dont see this on the CTS website either but...)

I love this product, it fits my med - large hands well and I use the stand option for more than Netflix too. I am an avid Inchworm Animation user and this stand is awesome to use with it.

Other than the usual good points everyone has made I'll just say this is more than adequate to relieve hand stress, Its comfortable and the price is great too. I love finding a very simple yet very functional product!

(Thanks CTS for also replying to your customers and giving input, its cool to see real time communication during the product's development.)

:) Happy Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, July 16, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
This is a much needed accessory for the 3DS. It is wonderful that they made the 3DS so compact, but that has added the problem that it uncomfortable to hold for a long period of time. This solves that problem. Like another reviewer, I had the previous version of this product: Nintendo 3DS Hand Grip and find this one a great improvement.

The improved size, shape and added silicone on this version of the hand grips makes this much more comfortable to hold. It is easy to remove and put back on, but still holds the 3DS firmly. It also makes a good stand. I used it yesterday to watch a Netflix movie on the 3DS.

Nothing really important is blocked when the 3DS is in it. The volume takes a bit more manipulation to adjust since it right next to the top of the left grip. Removing the stylus is difficult to do (but since I always use a pen stylus, this doesn't bother me at all). Although of course you cannot use the charging cradle while this is on the 3DS, you can still plug the charger directly into it. The game cartridge is fully accessible--no problem there. There is a cutout for the audio jack, so no problem if you want to use speakers/earphones.

The only cons that I see are minor: 1) I wish the stand would lock in place when it is open, and 2) the crossbar at the top looks like it could be easily broken. However, even if it does break, this would still be usable.

And, in case you're interested, this with the 3DS in it just does fit in the reversible pouch you can get from Nintendo using their reward coins.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Grip Above the Rest - And an Essential Accessory for the 3DS, July 18, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
First, a slight backtrack and explanation of why I chose this product is necessary. As stated within my original review (which can be found here: [ ... ] on CTA's first Nintendo Hand Grip, upon playing Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time for the 3DS for several hours a day, I was noticing some severe hand cramping and general numbness (as in the feeling of my hands falling asleep) with extended use of the system. This was causing quite a problem for me because I was having difficulty playing the system for more than 30-45 minutes without it feeling truly uncomfortable. The 3DS is a small system by itself; I have medium size hands for a 24 year old adult, and almost all aspects of the 3DS is smaller than what would typically fit into my hands. The buttons are small, the D-pad is very small, and the shoulder buttons are uncomfortable to wrap my fingers around while playing. All of this severely prevents me from enjoying the system as much as I'd like to.

So, I decided to do a little bit of research online, and came upon CTA's first hand grip. my impressions are summarized as follows:

"The 3DS hand grip snaps very easily to the top of the system; it takes only a second to snap on. The feel, as someone said earlier, is similar to an Xbox controller (original) or even a dreamcast controller. While this does improve the strain placed on my fingers while gripping, it doesn't completely relieve my hands, which is quite disappointing. I would say this is certainly a step up from stock (just the system itself), but its still not comfortable enough to the point where my hands don't feel like they are becoming numb and falling asleep due to holding the system in a certain manner. I'm glad I bought this product because the price is right and overall the system feels good in my hands, but I would say its a revision or two away from being perfect for those of us who are having difficulty holding this system for more than 30-45 minutes of gameplay at a time. "

CTA's second offering to the 3DS hand grip market is quite the improvement over its predecessor in terms of comfort. Whereas the original hand grip fits more like an Xbox controller (which is bulkier on the bottom and more rounded), this new grip takes on a significantly wider hold and feels actually pretty similar to a Genesis controller in its design. CTA has added a layer of rubberized inlays on either side of the grip, giving your hands a tighter hold on the system as opposed to the original grip, which was smooth plastic on either side. Most importantly, this wider grip pushes your hands out to the point where the shoulder buttons fit comfortably within the extension of your fingers, a welcome improvement over the original grip as the shoulder buttons are now much more easily accessible. Also, the wider grip aligns the remainder of the fingers with the buttons and circle pad in a much better fashion then the original grip. The design is sturdier and not as clumsy as the original grip overall.

I haven't seen this written about in other reviews, but another major advantage of CTA's product is the added benefit of getting your 3DS into that "sweet spot" of vision in order for the 3D screen to align perfectly with your eyes. Whereas the system by itself can be a burden to get the right hold and perspective, the hand grip actually allows you to plant the system more firmly into a sight line that takes full advantage of the 3D aspect of the system. Images that would otherwise come up as blurry or full of "ghost" objects (as the layers of 3D are not perfectly aligned with your sight line) seem to be significantly less with this grip. Simply put, its just easier to hold the system in front of you and on an angle that aligns with your eyesight. That's a terrific added incentive on purchasing CTA's second offering.

The grip comes with a little stand on the back, which I can see would be ideal for watching Netflix on the 3DS, but I'm not sure I would ever actually use that for gaming purposes. But the option is still available, which is convenient for the consumer. The grip itself attaches via a long bracket that snaps in easily on the top of the system; its a slightly different method of attaching the grip in comparison to the original product, which snapped in via two mounts on the far ends of the system. Although this is kind of nitpicking, I wouldn't have minded if CTA gave us enough room within the stand's opening for us to store a game or two in there; that would have given us an extra benefit for the grip as a storage compartment for a game or two on the go. I will say that some people might prefer the original grip in terms of the feel, as they are both pretty different. I'm not sure if CTA will continue to offer the original grip as well as this new one but eventually phase the first one out. Either way, the first grip is much more akin to an original Xbox controller, whereas this one is wider and feels more similar to a Genesis controller. The wider hold more or less equates to your thumbs and fingers being positioned to hit the 3DS' buttons in a more comfortable fashion.

I wholeheartedly recommend CTA's second 3DS grip as an addition to your 3DS lineup of equipment. The system by itself is simply not comfortable enough to hold on its own; this grip makes the entire experience much more worthwhile. For $10 dollars, the price is right and CTA is willing to listen to its audience and improve its product based upon our comments. That's the sign of a group willing to perfect its product, and I will gladly support them for their efforts. Purchase this essential addition to your 3DS and let CTA know how much you like it.

-Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference, August 28, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I was kind of worried at first that i was going to waste $12. But when i first put the hand grip on my 3Ds, it made such a difference. It made it easier on my big hands, and the shoulder buttons aren't a pain to reach anymore. If you have a 3Ds, you need to have this accessory!

3.0 out of 5 stars Better, but still not great for bigger hands, April 1, 2014
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)

Also, the "Silicone" is only on the bottom of the handles, and not, as it appears in the pictures, over the entire product (I will post my own pictures shortly). It has a checker-type pattern that really reminds me of those controllers Mad Catz used to make for the PS2, while I would have preferred (and indeed, expected) an untextured silicone/matte plastic grip a la 1st-party game controllers.

It works, just not amazingly so.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ahhh, this feels sooo much better!, June 7, 2013
Jen T. (Northern VA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
It took a while but I finally got around to playing some 3DS games on my husband's 3DS, and within just a few hours of playing, my hands started to hurt. About 3 days of moderate gameplay in, I was constantly having to shift and fidget the 3DS and had some pretty acute pain in my left forefinger from how I had to grip and hold it. Nintendo did not do a very good job of ergonomics this generation of portables, methinks.

By then I had been mulling over getting a 3DS XL, since people report the larger form factor means it is easier on the hands — but I didn't exactly feel like rewarding Nintendo with $200 for making an unsuitably small and boxy portable the first time around.

I looked a few different 3DS grip thingies, and this one seemed the best. It was easy enough to put the system in there, and the 3DS seems nice and snug. The grips feel really nice, with silicone that is just grabby enough that it makes things comfortable and secure but isn't sticky or slick. All the 3DS ports, plugs and slots are accessible, as well as the tether. The stylus might be a touch harder to get out, but I always had trouble before too.

The ergonomic fit of this thing is perfect. It feels like holding a nice game controller, and my fingers no longer have to intertwine so I can hold the 3DS. I can reach all the buttons with no issues; in fact, it is easier for me to use them now, since my thumbs don't have to be all folded up because my hands aren't squinched together to hold the thing.

It is much easier to hold the 3DS one-handed with this, too. The weight of the 3DS balances nicely with the handles, so when it's sitting in your hands or you're trying to grip it one-handed, you don't need a death grip to keep it from wanting to tip backwards.

The stand is a nice touch — I didn't think I'd use it, but while I was waiting for people to join a multiplayer session of my game, I set it on the table with the stand to prop it up so I could keep an eye on the screen while I did other things.

Definitely a superb accessory for a 3DS. Great tactile sensation on the handles, great grippy silicone, and fantastic ergonomics that feel infinitely better than the ergonomics of holding a plain 3DS. Saved me $200, too, since I now I don't want to give back my husband's 3DS and get my own 3DS XL for the time being!

4.0 out of 5 stars Awesome until..., December 27, 2012
stephanie (Southern Pines, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
This was a fantastic grip, just right for my hands...until I dropped it on the floor and the tiny strip of plastic that holds the 3ds in broke. I can actually still use it by just resting the 3ds in the holder though, so no complaints for my clumsiness. It's a great product and I'll probably order another.

4.0 out of 5 stars Major win for comfort. Slight defeat for durability., December 18, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
I have rather large hands, I suppose. I'm 6'4" so I guess I'm larger than the average 3DS gamer. When I first bought the system, I hated how cramped it felt. Using the dpad for merely a few minutes left my hands + wrists feeling stiff and fatigued. This product by CTA Digital fixed that problem nicely.

Pros: There's not a lot that needs detailed overall. This product works as intended, increasing the 3ds comfort level immensely. Additionally, there's a nice kickstand on the back that helps prop the system at an angle which is perfect for those fans who use the system to watch videos.

Cons: During my many hours of use, I've noticed 2 negatives. The first gripe, while extremely minor, concerns the physical (functional) design. When using the grip, retrieving the stylus is a more difficult task than desired. The second, however, is a bit more severe. The grip is designed with a small, plastic brace along the back that aids is holding the system tight. This small plastic brace is easily broken. My first grip arrived with this part broken on delivery. My second grip suffered the same fate approx 2 months later when opening my 3DS for play. My third is still holding strong, but I cringe a bit each time I snap the system in the grip. If broken, the grip can still be used, but it does not hold the system tightly, which can cause the screen to move slightly during play.

Overall: Even with the negatives mentioned above, I personally consider this device a must have for 3DS owners. It has transformed my personal experience with the system from groans to comfort. Just be wary of the fragile brace and hopefully, the previously mentioned negatives won't apply.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not perfect, September 6, 2011
This review is from: Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS (Video Game)
The 3DS is a neat little gaming system, but its got horrible ergonomics. I could not play it for more than 10 minutes without my hands cramping up, it simply was not designed for adult hands. This plastic grip does help out a lot, but its not perfect. Your fingers can still get cramped after an extended session (1+ hours), and the 3DS does not fit perfectly into it, there is a bit of wiggle, which is annoying when you press down on the buttons or dpad. I solved it by using some padded double sided tape. I like the rubbery grip on the handle, but it still is not as comfortable as a xbox 360 or ps3 controller. But for anybody suffering from "crab claw" hands playing the 3ds, its an inexpensive investment.

Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS
Grip with Silicone Handles for Nintendo 3DS by CTA Digital (Nintendo 3DS)
Used & New from: $55.47