Grizzly G0452 6-Inch Jointer
Price:$815.65+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

VINE VOICEon June 3, 2010
I bought my GO452 years ago. After my usual over-analyzing it seemed to be the best jointer for my use and budget. It is considerably less expensive than what appear to be similar machines.

I have to use mobile bases in my workspace and they ain't cheap, so it was a big bonus that one was included. It works well and doesn't add any instability. Great feature.

The controls mounted high on the extension is an important feature, easier and safer than ducking your head down try to locate switches under the bed. I suggest that you should look for this feature on any jointer you get.

Now, is a 6" jointer big enough for you? I have made tons of furniture with this machine as part of the process, dining room tables, big beds, cabinets of various sorts, desks, side tables, dressers, all sorts of stuff.

What about not being able to use 8" lumber? What I found is that I ended up with 6" boards most of the time anyway. It is easier to work with, cups less than wide boards and it is easier to find flawless narrower boards in the first place. My work is mostly maple with a clear finish, and I like the look, don't feel limited by it.

If you are going to be making 12' mahogany entrance doors out of huge old-growth planks, you had better tool up accordingly.

Of course, it doesn't matter how wide the boards are if you are just jointing the edges for a nice glue joint.

Can't you just get a good blade and carefully rip the edge on a table saw? Yes, but I find that jointers do it better and more easily. Heck, you can get perfect joints with just a long jointing hand plane. It was done perfectly for hundreds and thousands of years that way. I'll bet those woodworkers could do it fast as well as perfectly, but that isn't a style for everyone, especially if you can afford a modern machine.

The motor has never bogged down or become a limitation. I make a lot of shallow passes rather than trying to be brutal and slam out a board in one pass, and I think that is the best way to work anyway. Everything is adjustable and while perfect set-ups are a bit of a chore on almost any machine, the GO452 can be set up just right.

The bed is flat. My fairly good straight edge shows it to not have any noticeable twists or high spots. I did not try to use dial gauges or anything too trick. Big iron castings can warp and actually can do so after a period of time, especially if the machining is done too soon after the casting process. Mine is years old and is still good, so hopefully they all are.

I confess to putting some pretty rough stuff through the jointer, not exactly the knotless kiln-dried stuff TV woodworkers use, but the original blades lasted a long time and are good quality.

You can get carbide blades and if you do a lot of rough and knotty wood, that would make sense. Grizzly also markets a quick-change blade system. In a high-volume shop that would save a lot of time. There are also expensive spiral cutting assemblies that use interchangeable carbide inserts. If you are working at that level, I would probably suggest a bigger, more expensive commercial jointer anyway.

It comes with a device to help you set the blades. It works fine, but you have to be patient, measure twice, get it all done and check your work. It is the nature of machines in this price range at least.

It is easy to maintain. The motor and belt are accessible and the various adjusting bolts and stops are also straightforward and easy to work with. Mine has been totally reliable. Nothing has worked loose or broken. I like the paint scheme. That is unimportant, but at least someone with good taste selected the colors. I wouldn't buy a tool with a cartoon paint job, probably...

My work got better when I got this machine and I recommend it for any normal woodworking project. Obviously, huge commercial machines are better. Doh! One of the TV woodworking guys suggested 12" models, like his! Well, I could suggest buying an Aston Martin instead of a Ford Fiesta! It is also clearly a better machine, but...!

Five stars because I really don't think it could be much better for the very reasonable price. It would be nicer if it was heavier and the beds were longer, but then it would be big and expensive and the UPS man wouldn't deliver it (It does come in two cartons and you have to assemble it. It was easy to do).
on August 2, 2008
I have had the jointer for a few days now and am very pleased with it. I just ran about 60 board feet of walnut through it today and I'm happy with the results.

Heavy duty, and just plain heavy. Listen to them when they suggest that you have a friend help you put it together.

The reason I chose this jointer over the competition is that the quality is very high for the cost. I'm sure it's not what a furniture building shop running every day would want, but for me (hobby use), it is definitely a big step up from the Delta Shopmaster benchtop jointer.

Also, if you compare this against the jointers I see as competing against it, this is the only one with a mobile base built in. That's a pretty big chunk of money if you had to go out and buy one.

The competition: Delta (floor shopmaster model; cheesy construction, too expensive, no mobile base), Jet (doesn't matter what model #, they're all too expensive), Sunhill (I don't know anything about this brand, but the cost was higher so I didn't even evaluate this one), Craftsman (21705; more expensive for probably the same quality), Ridgid (JP0610; closest competitor in my book, good reviews around the 'net, same cost since I paid for shipping on the Griz, would pay for tax on this one, but no mobile base and no fully enclosed stand). Anyways, I think the Grizzly machine stacks up well quality-wise with all of those. It definitely has handled the load I put on it today with good quality cut and a nice finish.

Update:
I have now had this jointer for a few months and hold the same opinion. I've run at least 400 bf through it, probably more. Same blades... still sharp. I've even advised a coworker of mine who has a woodworking hobby to buy the same model. One thought, though, for those of you with extra money:
* I'm sure my technique isn't perfect, but this machine puts very, very small ridges in the wood as you run it through. The ridges are caused by the blades and you can reduce them by slowing down the feed rate. Not a big deal because they plane away (I usually run everything through my planer because it gives a really nice surface), but still... I didn't expect it on a three blade machine. I'll bet the spiral cutterhead version of this machine wouldn't have that problem. So... someday I'm going to upgrade to the spiral cutterhead, but if I had splurged for it at the beginning I would have had more power as well (I believe the spiral cutterhead 6" Grizzly has a more powerful motor).

Don't let this dissuade you... I think it still stacks up well against the competition and edges everything, unless you find a great sale on the Ridgid.
on August 22, 2008
I do not have this exact jointer and yet there was a review in my name here that I did not write. The review disliked this jointer and said Grizzly had poor customer service. My experience was different. I do not like the z system much but the 6" jointer I have had for the last 10 years has been great (it too has the z system) and Grizzly has always given me spectacular customer service.
on April 14, 2009
This is the first jointer I've ever owned. It's probably a bit heavy-duty for a first-time jointer, but I'm really glad I went with it. It's about 300lbs overall so it comes via freight, but that process was really easy. Setup after I got home was pretty easy too. I've only been able to run a couple boards through, mainly for setup, but the cuts were perfect and extremely smooth. This has turned out to be a much better buy than I even expected it to be. The built-in mobile base is also an excellent feature. It makes it extremely easy to move around the shop.
on August 17, 2013
This is one of those deals I wish I had never done. I spent weeks going back and forth with Grizzly with cancelled orders, wrong shipping costs, and bent parts. The belt that came with the machine doesnt fit. No matter what I do it will not fit.

Plus the unit arrived with a bent cabinet front and that was pure hell trying to get an answer.

My advice, pay more and get Jet or another reputable brand.

This unit is cheap but in the words of one of my customers "it's so cheap I cant afford it". The wasted time, poor and unresponsive customer service, the massive coating of Cosmoline, the parts that don't fit all add up to ......"just don't bother. Period. End of Story.
on October 22, 2008
I've had this Joiner for about a week now and have run a good bit of stock through it. I've found it to be more than powerful, straight, easy to setup and VERY easy to move around with the wheels. This will get used very much in my shop. The only draw back was just all the grease on the surfaces for shipping. It was completely excessive and took a while to clean up but that's a minimal grip at best.
on November 23, 2011
BACKGROUND: I am a amateur wood-worker, at it for 5 years now. Small shop and make A LOT of FREE tables and items for family. Cut down, mill, and cure my own lumber. GRIZZLY AND AMAZON: People use to order most of their items from a catalog and not have to deal with department stores. I walk into a Se#$s and ask about a jointer and get a look like I am the devil and a waste of time (not just on one occasion, but all the time, with all 5 people they have working in that section). On the other end, I drove the Muncy PA for Grizzlies annual tent sale and camped out over night with my friend and I was hooked from then on...to wood working and Grizzly. I did not get a jointer then, but have always been impressed with what I think is the Mecca of wood working and a fun hobby/profession. Now it seems we have returned to 1910 and prefer ordering from a catalog yet again. The whole experience with Amazon and Grizzly has been awesome!!! Why on earth would you want to buy anything else for this size and price range? If you say: "I dont want to pay $75.00 for shipping!!!!" My answer to that is this: the truck driver delivered it to my house in MS from PA, THREE (3) DAYS later and it weights 235+ lbs!!!! The driver was awesome and friendly and helped me get it in the garage!!! THE JOINTER: Great, great, great!!! If you want to whine about something like having to clean all the packing grease off...FIND ANOTHER HOBBY!!! The table is perfect and it runs like a champ!!! I put it together in an hour and am happy/bragging to my friends. It is nice and square and flat...perfect with all three of my big squares. But, go ahead and buy something that is twice as much to feel better about yourself....remember...they are ALL made in SE ASIA, period!!!
on May 31, 2012
I waited a year to post a review. Being new to having a wood shop I purchased saws, planners, a lathe, etc all about a year ago. What I have found is not to use a tool for something it's not best suited for. I now use my table saw for stock removal instead of planning it down on my Polar Bear. I trust the table saw to get me close before I head to the jointer. I can't begin to mention everything I have learned. The Grizzly has worked flawlessly for me. The mobile base is nice to have with out having to spend extra on it. Blades last a very long time and are not that expensive to replace. The adjustments are course and take some time and effort to get just right. Best way to do it is to set it thin and leave it alone. My Grizzly will make a board flat and straight. What more you should ask from a jointer, I don't know? A few times I wished for a wider cutter, but the 6" was what I could afford with everything else I was assembling for the shop. I am retired and in the shop 4 to 5 days a week.
on October 12, 2011
I've found this jointer to be accurate and quite usable for my needs. The fence is solid and square and the adjustment mechanism is great. The depth adjustment works fine. The dust collection works fairly well, but does allow some waste to escape that seems like should get picked up. The built-in base works perfectly. On/off switch is reliable and easy to reach. Thumbs up!

My only complaint is that this tool is not heavy enough. When jointing long/heavy boards the jointed sometimes moves. I will be 'fixing' this by adding weight into the base.
on December 30, 2008
I own a small cabinet shop and this jointer is more than adequate for the job. Even with 1hp it does just fine. Grizzly is the way to go. I just need to hear from someone about their shapers. I can't find any recent reviews for them.