5.0 out of 5 stars One Kick Butt Nice Saw
A friend back in Maryland introduced me to Grizzly tools in '83, and I've wanted one of their tablesaws for years. I've owned Delta (lucky sale price), but this is the saw I wanted. Finally settled in here and my wife made this a late Christmas present. I was just floored when it showed up. Best present I've ever received =)
I read the manual fully and unpacked the...
Published on February 20, 2004 by J. Kerr

3.0 out of 5 stars Grizzly Customer Service
I'll be continuing this review; however for now all I can comment on is the way Grizzly's Customer Service has responded to my order.
The table was ordered on Friday and arrived at my home on Wednesday; before the UPS driver unloaded he wanted me to take a look at the damage. Clearly someone had dropped the table saw, because the entire pallet was smashed and the...
Published on September 8, 2006 by Ruby Chung

5.0 out of 5 stars One Kick Butt Nice Saw, February 20, 2004
J. Kerr (Page, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grizzly G1023S 10" Table Saw 3 HP Single-Phase 220V (Misc.)
I read the manual fully and unpacked the saw slowly. No damage in shipping to the saw carton or pallet. The Shop Fox Fence box had been dropped (it's heavy) and the moulded packing foam was broken, but the fence and rails were pristine. Gentle wipe down to remove the cosmoline and an initial inspection revealed no damaged or missing parts (saw & fence). Followed the assembly procedure in the manual - a breeze.
The table is flat-flat-flat. The wings are substantial, but manageable by one person. You may need a helper when dogging down the wing mounting bolts to keep the wing from riding up, but I used a clamp. I don't know how they did it, or if all Grizzly saws arrive this way, but the table-blade alignment (run-out) was dead on. The blade stops were also dead on. I had looked forward to showing my kids how to make those adjustments, but there was no need (and I really looked - expecting some slippage in shipment). Well, okay, maybe the fence would need adjustment.
Attached the rails and mounted the fence. There are set screw adjustments behind the nylon rail pads. Didn't need to touch them, either. Arrived dead on. Oh well, I'm sure eventually I'll be able to bore the kids with an adjustment. The Shop Fox Fence system is simple, adjustable, and precise.
After setting up the saw, installing a Freud 40 tooth and running the 240v drop for it, we fired this mean green machine up - she purred to life - no whines, grinds, chatters or bangs. We got bold and balanced a penny and a nickel on edge and fired her back up - they barely twitched. Out came the wood - a little MDF, a little Doug Fir, A scrap of Wallynut, chunk of Oak - zip zip zip cut cut cut zing zing zing - only there was no Ziiiiinnnnggggg! It was Q-U-I-E-T - it just hummed! I could speak in normal tones and I could hear my wife (who is very soft spoken) over the saw! Aaaaa-Maaaaa-Zing! I was used to the noisy Delta I'd owned, used to the circular saw whine. So was my wife - this was a truly pleasant surprise. My neighbours won't mind this saw =) To be fair - I will blame the saw AND the blade (Nice blade at about a dollar a tooth).
The Griz cuts through everything easily. The motor is three horses and meets my needs. There were no tweaks required. It is satisfyingly solid. The blade & mitre stay set (again the stops were dead on), the action is smooth. It's not a fancy Mitre, mind you - but it is Functional - and that counts.
Grizzly will not disappoint you - I know this ain't no big fancy-schmancy sliding doo-dad cabinet beastie costing thousands - but it gets the job done very nicely, very quietly. I just need the 7' Shop Fox rails, the Griz extension table, the mobile bases & one of them Freud 8" or 10" dadoes... yeah! Any tool one's spouse is PLEASED to have purchased has a lot going for it.
Did I mention I love this saw?

5.0 out of 5 stars 1023S Grizzly Cabinet Saw, December 11, 2003
C. Fairbank (Reno, Nv United States) - See all my reviews
I have put this saw through some very heavy use in my one man cabinet shop for over two years now. Not one complaint. The only thing that has gone bad are the v belts finally needed replacement. I have not used the grizzly fence system as I already had a Biesmeyer fence. I would say that if you are like me with a tight buget, this is the cabinet saw for you!! I have bought and used many other Grizzly tools with great sucess. Don't hesitate to try their products.
Chet Fairbank Bon Rea Woodworking

5.0 out of 5 stars Grizzly Provides Great Tools at Great Value, June 3, 2004
R. Brogan (Saint Paul, Ks) - See all my reviews
Another update in August of 2009. Still happy. We contracted construction of our new home last year and when the sheet rockers left in December, we took on all of the interior work ourselves. After dozens of craftsman door/window headers, traditional newel posts (4 posts, 60 parts each) staircase, some cabinets, fireplace and bathtub surrounds, closets, etc., the saw still performs perfectly. Admittedly it is starting to show signs of cosmetic wear; but so am I. Great saw and great value!

2007 - I wanted to follow up. The original review of 2004 was posted three years ago. As an old friend used to say "I'm still a happy as a pig in poop". I have a home shop, but as I phase into retirement the machine gets more and more use. I routinely cut 8/4 hardwood and nothing slows the motor down. The Orignial Shop-Fox Classic continues to be solid as a rock. However, our son bought one of the Grizzly contractor's saws last fall when we started finishing his new home. I used the machine, with the aluminum version of the classic, for a month and it is also a good fence. Still as happy as a Pig in....!!!

Original 2004 post:

I have owned my 1023S for about two years and couldn't be more satisfied. I have been into woodworking, renovation and home repair for about 35 years and had started upgrading my older tools for a more serious retirement shop a few years ago.

I started my research pretty well predisposed to the Unisaw or Jet. However a friend of ours had recently purchased a long bed Grizzly jointer and I was very impressed with it's quality and performance. We took a trip to the Springfield Grizzly store and received a first-rate demonstration of the 1023S from one of their sales/training representative. The most impressive part of the demo was he did it on a two year old machine in their display & training backshops. The slightly worn, dirty and dinged machine ran smoothly and quietly as a new one. A month or so later I ordered the machine via Grizzly's web site and the saw arrived, on dock in Wichita, in 36 hours!

This machine is heavy and you will need help to unload and assemble it. If you buy the mobile base, as I did, don't assemble the wings and fence until you have the saw body on the base. We assembled the mobile base, tied it to the shipping pallet and gently rocked the saw onto the base. Fairly easy task for my wife and myself.

Setup took about 3-4 hours with a lot of this time just spent exploring and "ooohhhing". I have seen several comments regarding difficulty with removing the protective coating from the top and extensions. I happened to have a bottle of citrus based bike chain cleaner and it worked well. The cleaner and a handful of paper towels had most of the goo off in 10-15 minutes (after a 10 minute soak). Grizzly's claim of mirror-like surface finish is a slight exaggeration, but I would put it somewhere between the Jet and the Powermatic 66 - it is a very nice finish. The top assembled easily with minor tape shimming on one side and was completely flat. I dug out the dial indicators to true the blade with miter slots and decided to leave it alone - It was so close I was probably going to make it worse, before better. Blade height and tilt cranks are smooth and effortless, a real treat after using my old Craftsman for nearly 3 decades. I purchased 25' of heavy duty power cord which was easily installed using their handbook. Overall, the handbook is good, however it illustrates a much more substantial blade guard than I received. I purchased the optional motor cover and strongly recommend doing so. While I do not have an active dust control system, the cabinet probably keeps 90+ of the dust within it.

I cut a fair amount of 8/4 hardwood and it offers no challenge to the 3HP motor. I have been tempted on several occasions to tweak the blade-groove adjustment but have never found it necessary. The miter gage, while fairly stout, does require fairly frequent adjustment. The ShopFox Classic fence is great! It looks a lot like the Beismeier and is solid as a rock. It too has never required adjustment since I set up the saw. It has a very usable measurement site gage on the rail.

If I have any complaint at all it is the quality of the blade guard/splitter. It does the job but is not up to some of their illustrations. It installs and removes with two bolts and while not difficult it doesn't encourage you to reinstall it. With this aside, I would recommend the 1023 to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the rest for less, February 19, 2004
richard s bowen (west branch, mi United States) - See all my reviews
I have owned this table saw for some 3yrs now and have never regretted the purchase. I am a private shop/hobbyist and never enjoyed the boring/tedious ripping and sizing of boards until this purchase. Coming from a "contractor" style from a major brand, I expected the same saw with a more stable platform. What I got was nothing even similar. This saw functions flawlessly time and time again and I continue to look for excuses to use it. Finally I am enjoying the use of dado blades as this machine handles them perfectly. While I use a stack, I have tested a lesser quality "wobble" dado and had equally surprising results. Assembly instructions are not the easiest to follow and I had to order a minor part not included, but the advantages far outweigh the negatives. Since this purchase, I have replaced (as they wear out) all my major machines with Grizzly brand. My shop has never been so ugly (green) but also never been so productive! You won't regret this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars This saw is under-rated., April 7, 2005
When shipped, they shipped the wrong fence, wrong rails, and incorrect bolt bags for the optional sliding table. After about a week, I had all the parts needed to assemble the saw. Customer service was great. Nothing but good things to say about that.

The shipping was faster then expected. I ordered the saw on a Monday, and it was in my shop on Wednesday PM. No issues other then the missing/wrong compenents. Mistakes happen. Not a big deal.

The pro's have all been mentioned in other reviews. Simply: It's a great saw. To me, it's just as good as the Unisaw, which I've also used. I like to say that overall, The Unisaw and PM66 are production saws meant to cut 1000's of board ft a day. The G1023S is also a production saw, but only good for about 500 board ft a day. That's the only difference in performance that I can see.

The Cons:

The shop-fox fence: It's always compared to the Biesmeyer T-Square, but I can tell you - It's only in appearance - not performance. The cam lock on the shopfox is flimsy, and has serveral reports of breaking off with moderate pressure. It's not as heavy, and it uses a pesky guide foot that slides across the rear-rail. This foot gets bound up when the real rail is full of sawdust - something saw's are known to create! The good news is - the guide tube DOES fit real Beismeyer fence - which is how mine is set up. The hex nuts to square the ShopFox weren't real tight on mine, and require lock-tite to keep em in place. I think it's worth noting that I already owned the Beisemeyer commerical fence. I'm not sure If I would be as particular if I didn't have it in house to compare.

The optional sliding table looked like a good idea - but after giving it a real effort to align it square with the table, it lacks the capability to remain aligned. The roller guides have too much play in them to remain sqaure, and if tightened, they will often bind up when making a cut. If set too loose, the table will fall off.

You're also required to cut 12" off the left side of the fence guide tube to attach the sliding table. This kind of permenent alteration needs to be concidered. That end 12" portion is where the power switch was designed to mount. When the switch was re-mounted further in on the tube, it get's in the way of the blade hieght wheel when the blade is beveled over 45 degrees. Still workable, but making these types of alterations to a new machine just doesnt seem right.

If you're planing of ripping large format stock (anything over 24" square) the sliding table needs to be removed because it only has 24" from it's butt end to the first toe of the blade. It's setup also requires the sliding table to be set 1/16" above the saw table so the fence clears. This in of itself will cause any cross-cuts to have a 1/16" unintended bevel - almost defeating the purpose of the sliding table!!

For ANY dust collector to work properly, it needs a defined air-flow path. This means you absolutely need the optional motor cover! This is something I think Grizzly should include as part of the package. Without it, your only collect dust that happens to pass over the 4" hole - if your lucky.

Overall - I wouldn't trade this saw for anything less then a Robland X31. Which is a very unlikely purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT SAW, GREAT PRICE!!, January 3, 2005
I have and my saw for a couple months, and love it. Arrived in less than a week, box in great shape, nothing broken, or missing. Fit was good, did need to shim one wing to make it level. Blade alignment, blade stops, were dead on. The shop fox fence is a very nice fence, and heavy. Minor adjustments in the fence alignment, to make square with miter slot. Saw runs smooth,passed to nickle test and the motor has alot of power. Also, my magnetic switch, the OFF button has been enlarged, and has good size round button, different, from current pic here on amazon. But it makes it alot easier to find to OFF button. Great saw should have bought it along time ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shipping is a ... less than pleasant experience, February 6, 2006
C. Boyle (Alexandria, va United States) - See all my reviews
Received mine and have been setting it up for a while now.

Electrics -

Ran 220V from the dryer outlet, probably violating code. Don't try this yourself unless you understand what single phase means. The unit comes with bare wires ready to be hard-wired. Was unable to find a 220V extension cord, so made one myself. 20 amp wire and NEMA connectors.

Breakage in Transit -

The unit had tipped over in shipment. I noticed a ding in the fan cover. Actually, I noticed a loud racket when I tried turning the blade by hand. The fan was rubbing the shroud. A little work with a hammer and pliers fixed that. But I didn't know that there was a related problem until I tried to set the blade to 90 degrees. Stuck my head inside to see what the problem was and found ... a three once chunk of cast iron that had snapped off the flange that holds one of the main trunnion shafts. This was the point that gave out when the whole unit fell on the motor. Thank goodness I hadn't turned it on yet. The blade had a good chance of rotating into the table when I tilted it.

Cleaning -

Removing the preservative is actually easy, once you find the right solvent. Instructions call for a degreaser or citrus based cleanser. I had a "Clean Off" between a degreaser, an orange-based cleanser and Goof Off. the first two didn't even make a dent. Goof Off removed it very effectively, but have a lot of ventilation if you use it.

Support -

Grizzly is sending me a new flange and says I will have no problem replacing the broken piece. Very good interaction with them. I was worried I would have to ship the whole unit back. Getting it into the basement almost gave me a hernia.

Will update this after I get to actually cut wood.

4.0 out of 5 stars Grizzly Table Saw G1023S, June 1, 2007
I am a small business woodworker, specializing in custom furniture and hardwood cabinets. I have been a using a table saw for 25 years. At first I only bought and used 1-1/2 HP saws, but for bigger projects I needed a more powerful saw, and more stability on the table top, with a bigger fence extension. Little did I know that Grizzly had all those features at a very reasonable price. The saw came in on a pallet wrapped in cardboard w/o any dings or damage. Grizzly said to check for any charge on the lift gate on the truck, and there was supposed to be a $35 charge, but I was not charged for this service and the truck driver was very nice. After I unwrapped it, I had to degrease the table top and extension top. I used the product called Goo Goo Gone and it worked great & fast. Assembly took a couple of hours and the instructions from Grizzly were good. Then I had to attach my Biesemeyer fence, but unfortunately, I did not have the original instructions for that part. So we called Biesemeyer and they helped with technical assistance over the phone and we were able to download a hardcopy of the instructions. I had to make a few adjustments between the fence and the saw, but it didn't take long before it was attached.

I am so glad I ordered this saw. It is easy to operate and to adjust with the bevel and rise wheels, which are all solid metal. The wheels give you counter balance to raise the saw and set an angle. It is a joy!

The Biesemeyer fenced lined up on zero so anytime I move the fence, it is true. It also has plenty of power to cut thru the hardest wood. There is a lot less strain when I set up and make the bevel cuts and it has made the large kitchen cabinet jobt that I am currently working on much much easier.

The Grizzly made my day and I'm on the way to bigger cabinet jobs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Grizzly Quality/Value, January 12, 2006
I'm not sure how you could find a better saw for the money than this. Sure, the cardboard box and flimsy pallet needs improvement, but the company/freight line will stand by any issues....at least they did in my case...had some damage to one of the extension wings...Grizzly took right care of it.

The saw set up perfectly right out of the box. Blade parallel to miter slots. Straight up 90 and perfect 45 stops were right on. Extension wings bolted on and were flat on first try. Fit and finish were very nice on the cabinet. Holy Mackerel this sucker is POWERFUL. If you are a home hobbiest, this is all the saw you will ever need and it seriously overlaps into the professional saw space as well. Loved the Shop Fox fence. Miter gauge is pretty standard.

Well done Grizzly....just protect your fine product a bit better in shipment.....

5.0 out of 5 stars THE GREEN BEAST, March 18, 2005
Yaniv Matza (Tamarac, FL USA) - See all my reviews
The delivery was wery fast, no damage and nothing missing.I had one problem that the extention wings wasn't flat with the table top, but a very clear manual made it easy to solve it.

the table saw so quiet that you can't not smile and feel that you made a good porchase.