5.0 out of 5 stars Nice press, little price
Published on December 17, 2011 by Catman

1.0 out of 5 stars GLASS NOT HEAT RESISTANT
I had a Grosche Zurich press for years and it worked great, no issues. I bought a new one and within the first few days the glass started to crack when I poured in the hot water. After a few weeks the press shattered upon brewing. Perhaps the company is using a different kind of glass now, but whatever the reason for the faulty products - it doesn't appear to be uncommon...
Published 8 months ago by Joe Stanek

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice press, little price, December 17, 2011
Catman (Salt Lake City, UT USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
I was going to buy another press but saw the price and good reviews on this and decided to give it a try. Grosche Zurich is a simple, no frills coffee press. You put the ground coffee into the carafe, fill with almost boiling water, stir, let stand for few minutes, then separate the grounds from the brew with the plunger/filter assembly. The metal plunger/filter assembly works smoothly keeping all grounds at the bottom of carafe. The volume is enough for two people using mugs. Although the carafe handle is secured only at one point with the band, it seems secure enough for long life. All said, a good buy for about half the price of other brands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy, February 14, 2012
1. When I opened the package, I was surprised by how small it was. This pictures make it look big, but it's only 5 inches tall and 2.5 inches in diameter. It's exactly 1 serving as advertised, which is convenient for personal use.

2. It's a glass beaker that arrived in 1 piece, thankfully, making me glad after hearing horror stories about glass breaking.

3. It has a plastic handle attached via a metal band, so it's not microwave-safe, but as the box says, it's dishwasher-safe.

4. I'm a 21 yr old college student - a simple guy who likes a simple functioning product.

5. The box says use coarse ground coffee, but I'm using Folger's Gourmet Supreme, and it works fine.

6. It's cheap, but it gets the grounds out. I was tired of using paper filters.

7. Clean up is easy. Rinse out grounds out of the beaker. I thought I'd have to scrub the grounds out of the metal strainer part with a sponge or something.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grosche Zurich 8 cup press, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
5 Stars for quick delivery by vendor and competitive price under $10. The glass replacement itself would be over the selling price of this item! I find that this press is perfect for making tea leaf brew though perhaps not so much for ground coffee. The mesh does not hug around the inside of the press as seal-tight as a Bodum does. But for the price I can upgrade the mesh with a Bodum part for under $5 on Amazon and the total price will still be under a Bodum 8-cup press. The bottom of the glass does not have any base or border so you have to be careful in handling or placing it on a hard surface. Happy purchase on Amazon.

4.0 out of 5 stars works well, January 2, 2012
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
This french press is a good value for the price. It is really light weight, but the screen strainer never lets any grounds through and it plunges just fine...

5.0 out of 5 stars Been using it daily, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
I got this item and from some of the reviews I expected this flimsy little thing.... when it arrived the first couple times that I used it I treated it like fine china as I did not want to break it with a tap, then the unthinkable happened... I tapped it accidently against the sink while rinsing.... nothing.... then again I accidentally dropped it in the sink while cleaning it, (this may be dumb luck as I have yet to duplicate), and still nothing.... I have since quit handling this thing so gingerly and treat it like another dish, although I do not let it sit in the sink with the dirty dishes, so I have no idea of "Crushability" but I am treating this thing like a normal dish and have yet to have a single crack.

The handle does feel a little weak as it is not attached at the bottom but I carry it full from my water heater/cooler to my room/office everyday and have yet to feel the urge to grab the bottom, post fear time mentioned above, lol.... It seem to be good, not super strong but it is safe and functional thus far.

I have been using regular ground Folgers and get some minimal grounds but when I use whole bean and my grinder, set to course, I get no grounds but a nice clean cup of coffee.

All in all.... for the price, I would recommend this to anyone as it is a great little product. Buy with confidence, this is a great product! :)

**Addition @ 5months**
Still using every day and it is still going strong..... not a single problem, no cracks, no breaks, no anything! I would recommend this product to ANYONE... I do not know where any bad reviews could come from as this is a great product, been using it everyday, several times a day for the last 5 months. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Small and Makes Delicious Coffee, January 27, 2012
Ok, I admit it. I had never even seen one of these used, but in my quest for a quick cup of coffee, I gave this one a try. I even went to You-Tube and watched a video on how to make coffee this way. Now, I have the little French Press and it's sooo cute! I use plain old grocery store ground coffee, so I worried it would be gritty. No, it's not gritty and it is some of the best coffee I have had in a long time. For newcomers, here is how I did it. I heated 16 oz (2 cups) water in the microwave to boiling. Poured that over the coffee grounds in the Press, waited for 2 minutes and gently, but firmly pressed down on the pump - all the way to the bottom. All the grounds are trapped under the filter and then I poured a lovely cup of coffee, sat back and congratulated myself on a real breakthrough.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great french press, December 17, 2011
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
This is the 3rd one I am buying for gifts to my friends and family. I've had mine for a while and I love it. It's just the right size, well made and durable. And price is great compared to all the others. I definitely recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect!, December 12, 2011
troutwild "Skip" (Sierra Nevada, Ca USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great little press for making a really good cup of coffee. If you use good coffee, this French press will only make it taste better.
I bought this for work days when I don't have time to make a full pot of coffee, and it's perfect for that. I just microwave the water in a 12 ounce mug, add a heaping tablespoon of my favorite coffee to the press, pour in the hot water, stir, let it sit for 2 minutes and press. GREAT coffee! Made with heat proof borosilicate(pyrex) glass and stainless steel, this press should give many years of service. Great price and super fast shipping make this the perfect deal!

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value!, April 29, 2014
P-Funk (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
I purchased the Grosche "Zurich" French press to replace a well-known competitor's that had lasted four years to the day. The competitor's model has gone up $8.00 in price during those four years, so I did quite a bit of searching and found the Grosche for half the price of the competitor's replacement. I've now been using it daily for over a month, and in most respects it is the equal or superior to the one I had before. And even if it only lasts two years it will be a better value.

The only drawback I've found so far is that the top overhangs the carafe, so with its smallish spout if you attempt to pour too fast coffee dribbles down the side. A little patience solves this problem, but I'm not patient by nature.

17 MAY 2014 UPDATE: After a few days I discovered a simple solution to the dribbling problem: by just using my thumb to pull back on the lid (in a motion similar to using one of those syrup dispensers they have at most pancake restaurants) it enlarges the area above the spout enough to prevent dribbling. The handle is perfectly positioned to facilitate this, so it's already become a habit and no more dribbles!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough!, February 1, 2012
This review is from: Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker
It's good enough for its price ($13.66) and it's exactly as it's shown in the picture.

I rate it 4 because the handle is not attached in the bottom: It looks a bit cheesy and it makes the handle a bit unstable! Other than that it's a the simplest french press that works as it should!

Grosche International Zurich French Press Coffee Maker