Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on February 21, 2003
My three year old and I are planning a garden and this book has been an excellent companion to the process. Cherry does a great job of explaining how to create a garden through this story. In it Squirrel teaches Groundhog how to grow his own vegetables so he has things to eat. Cherry also includes a note to parents at the end that gives website information for more on gardening with children.
on July 26, 2003
Lynne Cherry's How Groundhogs Garden Grew may require parental assistance but kids with some prior picturebook skills will relish this story of a little groundhog who loves to eat the vegetables in his neighbor's garden. The cycle of a gardening year is told within the structure of a warm picturebook tale of animal friends, and the drawings are especially engaging.
on February 1, 2003
This is a wonderful book, bound to be a classic. Would appeal to any children, but especially those involved in starting a vegetable garden.
on January 2, 2010
Precious Book - really well done and we loved it

It was a gift and we love this book. The illustrations are so well done, and it is full of step by step lessons on gardening, which introduce a child to gardening in a way that is so delightful for them.... through a fun and colorful story.

There is also a lesson in the story too. Mr Groundhog has been sneaking over to another animal's garden (Mrs Bunny) and helping himself (coveting/stealing the harvest). Yet instead of getting angry at the groundhog, the bunny in a very forgiving manner, tells him it is not right to do and offers to teach him how to Garden. How precious.

The bunny then takes the groundhog on a step-by-step adventure to prepare and plant his own garden. This is where it is really wonderful too, because if you are familiar with gardening, you will see wonderful truths and gardening skills throughout the story. So the child is enjoying a story, learning gardening skills and tips, wowed by all the wonderful and really well done colorful illustrations ... AND they are learning a good godly lesson.

I adored the book and so did our kids.

Hope that helps and enjoy :)
on April 16, 2013
I purchased two copies of this book as gifts for Springtime birthdays. The storyline is excellent as well as being chock full of facts about gardening. A chiId can learn so much more than the basic "put a seed in dirt, water and watch it grow" stimulating further discoveries. I intend to purchase additional copies.
on August 12, 2014
I'm surprised sometimes when I read a book to my children and wind up learning something myself!

Did you know that asparagus typically takes a few years to grow?

The book has such a sweet, sincere lesson to teach and the vivid illustrations are just gorgeous.

My children love reading this book so much that the hardcover has lost its binding. This is my second copy!

Love it!
on November 1, 2008
The book features very colorful, realistic pictures of groundhog and his friends. They chide him for taking someone's vegetables and then help him gather seeds to plant his own garden. The two-page spreads (showing the progression of the simple story) are set off by borders filled with various plants and seeds.
The story follows the seasons as some of the animals hibernate under the snow. In the spring the animals plant potato sprouts and other root crops, then perennials. The book even explains transplanting to relieve overcrowding of seedlings.
The wren and praying mantis help out with garden pests and there's information on pollination. The artwork and story mesh well to present all the information in story form for preschool children.
The book ends with a harvest dinner that all the animal friends share.
A great book to use at home or in a school setting to introduce gardening and the seasons and teamwork.
on September 9, 2008
This book is so rich with information for little kids learning about animals, about gardens, about friendship, about life! The illustrations are magnificent and the story is engaging. After reading this book, my daughter instantly became interested in growing things in our yard, and now she loves participating in the entire process with me. This is one of those few books that will stay on our bookshelf through the years, and probably never join the pile of books that get donated to the library annually.
on December 30, 2008
My kids and I love this book! I have a 3 year old and 6 year old who both have decided this is their favorite book right now. It is a really cute story that teaches manners, growing, seasons, and even a bit about the lives of plants and animals.

The beautiful illustrations are lush and colorful and help to hold the attention of a child of any age. I highly recommend this book!! What a pleasant surprise. :)
on June 26, 2009
Wonderful illustrations of seeds, sprouts, plants and vegetables and plenty of cute animals to engage young readers. This has been a frequently requested book by my three year old. We are growing a garden and got this to give him a better understanding of gardening since watching plants grow is only so fascinating when you are 3. The author is clearly very knowledgable and passionate about gardening.