Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now HTL

When I saw this in the store, I thought I'd found an answer to my prayers. I have a lot of tile in my house and it's all fairly old. This product claimed to clean the grout and restore it to it's original beauty. Well, as far as I can tell, it doesn't clean at all. It covers up whatever may be on your grout, be it dirt, mold, mildew, whatever, this only covers it. I thought it would be a product that cleans the grout and restores it. Well, the old saying works here: If it sounds to good to be true...

Actually, I think I've made more of a mess with this than had I just left my old grout alone and used some good old fashioned elbow grease and Comet. And let's face it, nothing restores grout and nothing 'cleans' grout except cleaners. It's disturbing to me that the product even claims to clean it. It only covers it up. I looked at the main ingredient, and it's acrylic, so actually when you use Grout Bully, you are really painting your grout.

It's fairly hard to wipe up too. Fake product for sure and I should have read the reviews before I excitedly attempted to use this product. I give this product one star because while it does turn the grout white, it makes a mess and does not clean the grout so it's clearly a misrepresentation of what the product really does.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2013
Contrary to what some people were apparently expecting, this is not fairy dust.

Now yes, the makers seem to claim that it is, and this is either allowable commercial flummery or, if you'd prefer, lying. Take your pick.

Now that we have that out of the way, please consider:

Nothing cleans anything by making the dirt vanish. The dirt has to go somewhere. So while the makers say it "cleans" grout it of course does no such thing. It does make it LOOK clean, but only by placing a layer of what amounts to paint over the dirt.

HOWEVER, this is not to say that you shouldn't buy this stuff. I've been using it, or one of the many other very similar products (and they're all about the same) for years with good success.

So here's the secret you don't want to hear: if you want this stuff to work, you have to at least take a stab at cleaning the grout first.

Your floor, particularly in kitchens, is covered with very fine particles of dirt and a thin layer of grease. It just is. And no paint or coloring or anything else will adhere to it.

Some people grab this stuff, slap it down on top of ten years worth of dirt and grease and then are shocked - SHOCKED - that it flakes up.

"But they said it was a cleaner too" is no excuse. Simple common sense tells you otherwise.

Clean the grout, It's a crummy job, tedious and time consuming. Then this stuff will stick to the existing grout just fine.

Then - and again, the makers specifically say that you don't need to do this, either - go to your local hardware store and get a small bottle of grout sealer. All you need is a few minutes and a small paintbrush. Swipe on a thin layer of the stuff, it will seal it and help it repel dirt. For a while.

Is it perfect? Not in the least. And the white in particular is a brilliant snow white, which may not be what you want, although I've found that if you purposely lay it on a little thin you get better texture and less brightness.

After stuff like this, there is really only one alternative: grind out the old grout and replace it.

Enjoy that.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2012
This product was harder to use than advertised and didn't have very good results. It goes on fairly easy, then you have to wait a few minutes and wipe away the excess, but the erasers don't work well at all. You have to use a rag to actually remove excess product, and it takes a lot of work to scrub it away. The colors didnt coat as well as they should either. I tried a similar product "Homax Products 4.3Oz Grout Whitener 9310 Tile Care Maintenance & Sealer" and it works the same way, but covers better. It takes just as much scrubbing to remove excess, but it was cheaper and looked better.
on April 28, 2012
First and foremost, the box is misleading, this is not a cleaner. It states that it "cleans and renews grout on contact." Really it just paints over your existing grout.
For me, the end result is better than the before pictures because my grout was disgusting and almost black. It's now a bright white (I would have liked it to be a little more subtle/off-white), but every once in a while something will scrape against the grout lines (a shoe, my cat's nails, dirt while sweeping) and the paint will rub off, showing the original black grout underneath. I definitely have to keep a spare bottle on hand to touch up spots. Overall, if you're looking for a 20 minute fix, this isn't it. If your grout isn't terribly disgusting, try something else.

- My end result does look better than my original grout

- It does not clean grout, it simply paints over existing grout.
- I don't think 1 coat would work for anyone, expect a minimum of 2 coats
- Time consuming
- The excess paint is a pain to clean off the tile faces (not hard, just tedious)
- Chips/scuffs easily, requires (minor) touch ups weekly
on April 30, 2012
It was a mess. It did not work as the advertising shows. The other commentator was right--the pitiful sponge items don't work well--you have to get a rag or paper towel. It spews out of the bottle too wide for most useage. If something looks too good to be true--IT IS! I should have read the reviews--stupid me.
on April 11, 2012
Ive been trying all day to make this stuff work. It does not go on evenly. Tried several coats on the same small area and it still looks blotchy. At this point Im hoping it just fades away back to the original old color at least it was even.
on July 29, 2012
This product would not be worth it even if they were giving it away....shoe polish would have done a better job. After tediously cleaning and scrubbing my grout, I was truly underwhelmed with the application and the outcome.
I wouldn't have even given it one star but I had to.
on May 21, 2012
I bought this product to clean my grout. The product is misleading. It states it cleans, renews and redesigns grout on contact. It does NOT clean or renew. It did redesign my grout, but in a negative way. This is more like grout paint. It covers up the problem temporarily. Since it does not clean, the mold continues to grow underneath the paint. When the paint chips, falls off, etc., you see the problem again. My grout is peach, putting white over it did not enhance the floor. What a sham of a product.
on February 14, 2014
Even though this stuff will remind you of shoe polish; it works. This is my second application. Looks good and lasts for 2 years.
on October 7, 2012
This product did nothing to improve the look of my stained grout. Almost looked worse then before I started. Not worth the time or the money.

See 1 answered question