2,028 Reviews
 (1,305)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flavor!
Excellent product! A tip from the Keurig people: shake the K-cup before using it. This prevents the cocoa from clumping and results in more flavor.
Published on December 13, 2011 by lynnsmom

I HATE SUCRALOSE.

Honestly, I don't know how other people CAN'T taste it when it's in sweetened products. It's got this unpleasant fake flavor that I just can't ignore. I think any company that uses that junk should be required by law to indicate it on their box and all advertising.

That being said, it seems like this hot cocoa has less sucralose...
Published on January 6, 2012 by Raven A. Wind

5.0 out of 5 stars Great flavor!, December 13, 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Why can't anyone make a hot cocoa without sucralose/Splenda in it?, January 6, 2012
I HATE SUCRALOSE.

That being said, it seems like this hot cocoa has less sucralose than the Cafe Escapes Hot Cocoa, and as such I have to give it higher marks than the competition.

Still, I can't believe this product AND its nearest competitor use sucralose but don't say they're a diet, lite, low-sugar, or otherwise unnaturally-sweetened product. It's frustrating. I can taste the stuff, and I really dislike it. I also don't like the chemical makeup of sucralose, but I won't go into that here (just believe me: natural sugar is way better for you in the long run).

There's one other choice out there for a hot cocoa in a K-Cup, and that's Swiss Miss. Unfortunately, the Swiss Miss K-Cups are ridiculously high priced and hard to find.

My opinion? It's probably better if you just get your favorite hot cocoa in packets, and use the hot water function of your Keurig. It's not worth the K-Cup convenience if you have to put up with artificial sweeteners or significantly higher prices. Spending more than seventy-five cents per cup of water-based hot cocoa is about the limit for me.

So, if you're into sucralose/Splenda, then by all means grab this and enjoy that weird aftertaste and decidedly not-sugar flavor. If you're like me, though, and can't stand that artificial stuff, then avoid this product and find another option.

Three stars for tasting decent despite the awful artificial sweetener. Minus two stars for being artificially sweetened and not mentioning it anywhere.

UPDATE: I just found out that the Swiss Miss K-Cups also use sucralose. So really, your only choice is to get packets and use your Keurig as a hot water dispenser. How disappointing.

UPDATE 02/12: After some research, I found that there is one K-Cup hot cocoa that doesn't have sucralose; However, it is loaded with fructose instead (not the greatest trade-off, since it tastes different from sugar/sucrose, in my opinion) and has no actual sugar/sucrose in it. That one is Green Mountain Coffee Hot Cocoa. Unfortunately, reviews of it say it has a strong coconut flavor (probably because the second ingredient is coconut oil) and is on the salty side, so I have avoided it. It's also more expensive per-cup, and unless you think a single cup of cocoa is worth over a dollar and twenty-five cents (as opposed to a box of 12 packets being around two dollars) then go ahead and try it. I will refrain at this point and stick to using packets.

I would also like to clarify again that despite what some comments say, the Cafe Escapes Hot Cocoa K-Cups, Swiss Miss Hot Cocoa K-Cups, and Grove Square Hot Cocoa K-Cups ALL use sucralose. Yes, there is sugar in some of those, but it is IN ADDITION TO sucralose/Splenda, and not by itself.

So your choices right now are pure sucralose, sucralose plus a sugar, or pure fructose. None of them is appetizing to me, and all of them make the cost per cup of cocoa quite unpleasant.

43 servings of sugar-sweetened cocoa in a canister will run you around six bucks, and it's no more complicated than a K-Cup if you know how to operate a spoon.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than the others, but still not quite there, October 18, 2011
I feel like I've tried every hot cocoa there is in the k-cups. While I do think this is the best hot cocoa so far, it still isn't great. I'm not sure what it is, but all of the cocoa k-cups seem to have a weird taste to them. It's almost like there is artificial sweetener in them,, but I know there is not.
I set it on the smallest cup setting for cocoa. This has more body to it than others.
I'm still waiting and hoping that Dunkin' Donuts will put out their hot cocoa in a k-cup. There really is nothing better than that.
If you want a k-cup hot cocoa, I would def. recommend this over all the others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad. Not bad at all., December 12, 2011
Rob (Indianapolis) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Grove Square Hot Cocoa Variety Pack, 12-Count Single Serve Cup for Keurig K-Cup Brewers (Pack of 3) (Grocery)
I have read some really funny reviews about this product. Some complain that there is noting left in the pod after it has filled the cup, so 'therefore' it must have been an instant mix! Brilliant deduction, Sherlock! What did you expect...to see choco-grounds in the cup? Yes, it is no doubt cheaper to go some other route, that's why 4 instead of 5 stars.

But the taste is what you want to know about, right? The Dark Chocolate flavor is fairly robust with little 'grittyness' to it. Plop a marshmallow in the cup before brewing and you'll have a real treat! It comes out strong enough on either the 6 oz or 10 oz setting of the brewer. Not surprisingly, the milk chocolate flavor is not as strong and a little smoother. Marshmallow trick has a little different effect making the milk chocolate not only creamier and smoother but a little dilute too. So, maybe a few mini-marshmallows instead of a full-sized one for this flavor. Oh, and definitely go 6 oz cup. My oldest granddaughter and I contest for the peppermint chocolate. She wins, of course, but it's pretty good when I can get one. No marshmallow needed. The hint of peppermint is just enough. 6 oz cup on this one is the best way to go, too.

I think I got the cups sizes right. If I didn't, you'll figure it out. Btw, I'd imagine the reason it's always out of stock is because people keep buying it! I've dipped into the supply well a few times myself. Pretty good. Pretty cheap. Pretty hard to get at times. I'll buy it again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Cocoa, November 17, 2011
Amazon Customer (North Carolina, USA) - See all my reviews
Everyone in my family likes hot cocoa. I was running plain water through my k-cup maker and using hot cocoa from a canister but my kids didn't really get the right measurements and more often than not we would have overflow. So I decided to try this for my kids and it makes a perfect cup every time. No overflow. The taste is good, its creamy with enough cocoa to water ratio for my kids. I will be ordering this product from now on for my family.
In the interest of product comparison, we have ordered Timothy's white hot chocolate, and Green Mountain Hot cocoa, Timothy's was great, but pricy, and Green Mountain didn't really taste all that great to our family. It had a watered down taste to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than expected, great for the kids, November 14, 2011
I am actually surprised at how good this product is. I am a Cuisinart Keurig owner with two teens that love to drink hot cocoa and cider pretty much year round.

Price point: The price for these at the store ( exact brand ) is almost triple of what we pay here for the same amount, with subscribe and save this makes these quite affordable for my family use. In comparison to other more expensive brands it's a great bargain without sacrificing quality over quantity.

Flavor wise: My kids love it, and have already asked me to purchase more. My daughter says that the peppermint is right on and not too weak even if using a larger cup. I love the dark chocolate in my coffee to make a mocha ( 10oz coffee to 4 oz chocolate ) and it's much better than some other brands that I have tried in the past.

Overall impression: Great value, good flavor, excellent price point I will be purchasing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, thick cocoa. Surprisingly good!, October 26, 2011
Ordered on a whim. My first "Grove Square" purchase. Great for the family's occasional cocoa desire. Being a K-Cup it's fast and easy. Was a little worried the cocoa might leave some after taste in my coffee, so far so good. Great cup of dark, rich cocoa. Maybe could taste a LITTLE better if it was from a gourmet brand you mix yourself with steamed milk. The ease and simplicity, and lack of clean up, make this a better option for me. Will order again. Nice to see it on subscribe and save.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Hot Cocoa - Highly Recommended, November 16, 2011
These Grove Square Hot Cocoa flavors are by far the best tasting we have found for the Keurig. We took a chance on these due to the high review ratings and it was a pleasant surprise that all three flavors are really good.

Dark Chocolate - My favorite, very good even on the "large" cup setting
Milk Chocolate - Excellent on the "small" cup and good on the "large" cup setting
Peppermint - Everyone likes this one, on either cup size setting

These do contain Sucralose in addition to sugar, I don't notice the taste but my wife does (but she still likes them).

Highly Recommended!

CFH

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much artificial sweetner, January 2, 2012
This tastes terrible... Like putting aritficial sweetener in already sweet hot chocolate. The best I have tried so far is Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate K-Cups. Don't think they are sold on Amazon yet...

1.0 out of 5 stars YUCK!!! Artifical sweetener, January 10, 2012
As a hot chocolate lover, I was verrrrry disappointed when I tried this product. I first had the peppermint (disgusting) and then tried the dark chocolate (a little better). The problem is that you can REALLY taste the artifical sweetener. I am a diet soda drinker, so I don't have a problem with artifical sweetener. It's just that the taste was so strong in these hot chocolates that it overpowered the chocolate taste. I definitely will NOT buy again.... I would not recommend these to anyone.

Rate and Discover Movies