Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on February 3, 2011
As a semi-professional wind player, I'm always on the lookout for something new and unusual to add to my collection. I had really hoped to be able to play this as a musical instrument rather than an amusing sound effects maker. I would, perhaps, be inclined to give this a higher rating if the description had not mentioned "professional orchestras". After all, what can one expect from a toy?

Unfortunately, the slide moves so rigidly that it can really only be used to make children laugh and adults look at me askance. It does not provide the liberty of movement necessary for subtle pitch changes when attempting to play something potentially melodic.

My real disappointment came when I made the profoundly naive mistake of performing a Google search on the phrase "How can I lubricate my slide whistle?".

If you're not laughing now, don't run the search yourself to find out. You won't like what you find.
44 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2007
Works great! At first I experienced a bit of stickiness on the slide at it's highest pitch, but after a few days that went away. Perhaps it was just that I figured out how to slide it right. Anyway, I recommend this slide whistle highly :-)
on June 9, 2009
My 9 year old son saw a slide whistle on a SpongeBob episode and had to have one. This is a well constructed, solid metal slide whistle that is good old fashion fun. I am amazed at what you can find on the internet!! It makes a clear, crisp sound that he has fun with. The price was great.
on September 8, 2012
I bought this slide whistle a few weeks ago. On the package, it says it the manufacturer is Trophy Music Co., in Cleveland Ohio along with a statement "made in Taiwan". The unit appears well made and durable, it's all metal, and seems like it could take a beating.

I bought this particular product along with a few other slide whistles made by various manufacturers including Meinl, Acme Whistle Company, American Plating & Manufacturing. Admittedly, I'm looking for a whistle that is suitable for musical performances so for me it's not necessarily a toy.

Physically, the "Trophy" whistle seems almost identical in every way to the slide whistle made by American Plating & Manufacturing, Inc. I would not be surprised if they were made by the same Taiwanese plant.

However, unfortunately the "Trophy" manufactured slide whistle remains almost impossible to use because the slide does not move smoothly. It sticks, quite badly and has not gotten better over time. I'd like to fix it, but the cap at the bottom of the unit cannot be easily removed. I also tried to return it, but the vendor won't accept my return due to sanitary reasons (which I believe is appropriate).

I have no doubt that the Trophy slide whistle would be a nice whistle, if it weren't for the sticky slide.

The reason I say that is the American Plating & Mfg. model (again which seems identical) is very nice sounding. Importantly, it does not have an 'overtone' when the slide gets down to the bottom of the travel. This is actually pretty great because most of the slide whistles I've used demonstrate this overtone.
on August 5, 2013
This is a heavy, well constructed whistle, but the tone is very "airy". It doesn't have the loud, shrill tone you get from a plastic whistle, which can be good or bad depending on what you're looking for.
It is very important that you order trombone slide grease with this whistle! It is a metal on metal slide, and without grease it is very stiff and basically unplayable. It borders on the dangerous side actually, since the stiffness can make the whistle rocket into your teeth when pushing in the slide.
on August 21, 2010
I'm an amateur concert percussionist, and I needed a slide whistle as a sound effect for a concert. The reviews of the $2 plastic slide whistles were pretty bad, so I splurged for the $10 stainless steel whistle. I think it was a good choice. It is sturdy, slides well, and attractive. (Visual appeal is part of percussion performance). My only criticism is that it isn't as loud as I expected, but then I really didn't practice before I needed to use it.

If you want it as a child's toy, I think it will be fine. Because it is all heavy gauge metal, it would be hard to break.
on June 2, 2013
I knew when I saw this luminescent piece of heaven that I had, at last, found the instrument for me. The delicate, almost sensual, slide action makes it sound as though you are invoking a choir of angels. The nickel plating is shiny and bright I have to wear sunglasses when I play and my wife asks me to go in the closet because it's just too much to bear. Do you need one? Yes, yes you do. Your life will be forever changed and your family and friends will tremble with awe before your proficiency with this god-like instrument.
on February 23, 2014
Listen, folks on here saying this isn't professional quality. Really? Its a fahrking slide whistle! A lot of professional slide whistle players out there I see. Where does one train for this professionally. Anyway, slides a little stiff at first, but loosens up. It's also silver not brass in color as pictured.
on May 7, 2010
This is a high quality item. A much better value than what I thought it would be for the price I paid. Fast delivery and over-all very satisfactory in every aspect.
on January 13, 2009
I bought this slide whistle to use as part of a warm-up routine with elementary school chorus students. (Students would "echo" the pitches of the slide whistle after playing.) It doesn't really hold a pitch very well and gets more air than tone. Other than that it's not a bad instrument, but does not work well for the purpose I had in mind.