5.0 out of 5 stars Like Miracle-Grow For Your Creative Business
Published on June 30, 2012 by M. L. Risley

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I hoped!
Overall a good guide, but does not address in detail how to take advantage of the internet, and does not address at all a web based business.
Published 21 months ago by Marilyn Varley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Miracle-Grow For Your Creative Business, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Grow Your Handmade Business: How to Envision, Develop, and Sustain a Successful Creative Business (Paperback)
I loved Kari Chapin's first book, The Handmade Marketplace, so I immediately got the follow=up, Grow Your Handmade Business. While the Handmade Marketplace was more general, this second book is much more specific, with information on subjects ranging from identifying your dream business to writing business plans to marketing to budgeting..... and a whole lot more. I found the chapter on time management particularly helpful.

In this book, Kari has a brand new Creative Collective....a team of industry professionals who share their experience on all aspects of running a creative business. Jessica Swift's section on crowd-funding was timely and informative, while the Q&A with Michael Elliott on accounting and taxes was a real eye-opener. Same with business attorney, Bettie Newell. That tax and legal stuff is what we normally gloss over, but here they drive home the importance of it. It was super fun to see Jay, the season one winner of Project Runway in the book as well.

This book is perfect. It's written in a casual, relaxed tone that seems more like hanging out with a friend who is giving you much-needed advice while sitting at a coffee shop...almost just like Kari or her Creative Collective is there with you....which I am very thankful for since a lot of the topics (like taxes) are normally dry and boring. Chapin makes it not only easily bearable, but also kind of fun. The advice is invaluable, and I can see that it'll become a well-worn book I'll be referring to again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great information in a very friendly way, July 24, 2012
Grow Your Handmade Business : How to Envision, Develop and Sustain a Successful Creative Business is written by Kari Chapin, the same lady who wrote the popular guide to selling things you make, The Handmade Marketplace.

Where The Handmade Marketplace focused on marketing your designs and projects for sale, this book focuses on how to build a business. It's a good book for anyone who feels overwhelmed when they start thinking about going professional to sell their goods.

You wouldn't expect a reference about business to be engaging, this is engaging and informative. Since the author really loves the DIY/handmade movement, that passion shows. There are lots of contributors who add their own stories and how to apply those tricks to your own business. I actually read the book cover to cover while sitting in my yard in an afternoon.

She does a wonderful job of explaining how to write a business plan that you can present to banks for loans. It becomes a lot less scary when you see it laid out in a friendly, conversational tone. She explains it in detail in easy to understand language.

She also has a section on choosing mentors. It defines different kinds of mentors. It also explains a bit about the mentoring process and how to find one through your local SBA. How to approach someone as a possible mentor and what to do if your are approached.

The section on plans and goals also explains how to manage them so you can handle them without being overwhelmed. Your plan and goals can be as flexible as you want them to be following her tips. The idea of setting an objective to reach and then making goals that are achievable to reach that objective is a good tip for business and for life.

A chapter on profit and loss explains with tabled examples and clear language how to create profit and loss statements to work out how well your business is doing.

There are a lot more things covered in this book, how to visualize exactly where you want your business to be in the future. It also explains some of the warning signs you might be on the wrong track. Personally anecdotes serve as examples and illustrations of the methods explained.

If you're ready to start growing your crafty business, but don't know where to start, I recommend this book. It's very easy to read and understand, and full of information. It breaks things down into easy to handle steps so it's not so overwhelming. While the focus is on creative businesses, the techniques, tips and information apply well to most small businesses.
[I received a complimentary copy of the book to review on my craft blog- Don't Eat the Paste. My reviews are always my honest opinion]

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Place to Start, August 25, 2012
This is a great book for anyone who is ready to take their creative hobby to the next level. Writing from personal experience and the expertise of other successful business owners, Chapin offers a plan that covers all of the issues involved in turning a hobby into a dream job, including coming up with a business plan, expanding production and distribution, finding funding, addressing legal matters, filing taxes, and setting goals.

Chapters include Identify Your Dream Business, Goals and Intentions, Get Some Help!, Business Plan Preliminaries, Budgets and Budgeting, Making It All Legit, and Professional Support and Where to Find It, to name a few. Although the author doesn't go into lots of detail to cover every aspect of developing a successful business, this book does serve as a good starting place with an overview of the key issues.

The section that helped me the most was the information on developing a business plan because it will help me identify not only what kind of business I want to have, but also lets me see what I don't want which is also important.

Anyone who has a creative hobby or even already sells at local craft shops or online venues such as Etsy but is thinking of taking it to the next level of a sustainable business will benefit from the good information in this book.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, September 3, 2012
Taj Mahal (New York, NY, US) - See all my reviews
As a guide to opening your new business, this is a must-read book. It's very well written in a friendly manner with no over promises. Everything I've read so far makes sense. Not the typical dry business book---I am a graphic designer and my partner is an interior designer---this book was written for us! I bought 2 copies--one for her and one for me! Get it before it's gone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Etsy sellers!, July 8, 2013
I am an Etsy seller and bought this book when I was first starting out! It has tons of great information and makes it easy for you to follow. I let my friends borrow it because it's tips really helped me out!

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good book!!!!!!!!!!!, April 10, 2013
Full of useful information alright!!!!!!!!! Trying to read it as fast as possible with what little time I have right now. So far I have enjoyed it very much, THANKS

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, March 6, 2013
I've only read a bit so far, but this is an awesome book!! If you're looking to start you own business, I would definitely suggest reading this.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite what I hoped!, November 29, 2012

4.0 out of 5 stars Handmade business, June 10, 2014
I thought it was very helpful. I read it from cover to cover, and she had great ideas, and tried and true suggestions.

4.0 out of 5 stars vgw, May 19, 2014
i like the book, has a easy language and many testimony but does not was what i was looking for.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›