5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible book!
Published on June 8, 2009 by Mariel G.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst citrus book I have evder seen
I have a very large library of citrus books, and have never regretted buying any of them. That is, until I bought this one. My copy arrived a few days ago, and I find a few errors and several other disappointing things.

1. He says calamondins produce numerous SWEET fruit. I have eaten a lot of them, but I have NEVER had one I would call sweet!

2. He...
Published on January 14, 2009 by Norris H. Williams

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible book!, June 8, 2009
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
I always assumed that growing oranges, lemons, grapefruits, and their more exotic-sounding cousins like tangelos was only for people living in hot places like Florida, but this book explains how the rest of us can grow them too. As the book explains, the key is to take the plants indoors when it's frosty outside: for instance, citrus plants can go in a container on the porch during the cooler parts of spring and fall, and in wintertime they come all the way into the house where they make pretty and intriguing houseplants. When there's no danger of frost, they can go out in the garden. Overall I found this book to be highly useful, the advice was right on target while the photos inspired me to grow these plants I never would have considered before. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to grow something interesting and delicious.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst citrus book I have evder seen, January 14, 2009
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)

2. He says lemons are used for blah blah, and also other nefarious things. My dictionary says nefarious means extremely wicked. No idea what the author meant by this.

3. He says calamondins are used for blah, blah, and some other bizarre things. But, he never tells us what bizarre things.

4. What is supposed to be a picture of Flying Dragon is just a regular trifoliate thorny tree.

5. The coverage of citrus varieties is pretty weak - many of the best varities (Page mandarin, for example) are not mentioned.

These seemed to be a bit odd for what is supposed to be the essential guide to citrus. There are numerous better books on citrus than this one. It does have a number of pretty pictures, but the amount of wasted white space could have been better used.

Maybe I am just getting to be a grumpy old man and these are just minor things that don't bother anyone else.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best General Citrus Book On The Market!, January 15, 2012
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
This book is a must read! Informative, easy to read, easy to assimilate into your citrus knowledge (the beginner to the advanced grower.). The author (who is a citrus guru.) takes us on a journey around the citrus growing world, with lots of wonderful pictures, and key history of the origin of most cultivars. Have you ever wondered the origin of a grapefruit or where the oldest living Washington Navel is, it's in the book! What kind of soil does citrus like, or how cold can different cultivar s endure? What is a orangery, how and when did citrus arrive to Europe and the United States. I was happy to see my home state of California's UC Riverside (A great citrus Mecca.) and their incredible work, incorporated into this book. Exotic citrus cultivars are covered in the book, (Buddha's Hand, Etrog, Bergamont, Eremocitrus.) which has motivated me to try to grow them. This book was such a easy read, I could not put it down!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not applicable to my area, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
Building my library of citrus books and regret getting this one. I should have clued in that the author's experience is centered in the U.K. I live in Houston, TX. All of his citrus is containerised. All of his fertilizer recommendations are non-organic. Wished there were more pictures to identify varieties and also pests and diseases. The history part was okay. Wanted more technical detail.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good basic info, October 8, 2013
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
Nothing in this book was really earth-shattering, I read it from cover to cover in an effort to understand my potted citrus trees a bit better. The writer is obviously very enthusiastic about the subject, seems to be writing much more from personal experience than book learning about the subject (which has its pluses and minuses). Good information on varietals. Found the pests and diseases section to be lacking - there is a pretty good list and description of many but fine points of identification and treatment are superficial at best.

Overall, I'd say this book is more fanciful than informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on citrus, July 10, 2013
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
I am still reading this book, a great reference book on citrus. I grow cold hardy citrus in Virginia and find this book to bone of the best best books on citrus available.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must have if you have a lot of Citrus Trees., December 30, 2012
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
This books has tons of information to keep your trees healthy. It has been very helpful so far and has done the trick. It's not complicated or hard to read, just gives you the information you need in an easy format.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful in identifying citrus, December 30, 2012
This review is from: Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide (Hardcover)
Bought this for my husband, we have 17 citrus trees and don't know what most of them are; this book may help him identify them.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 8, 2014
Very good

Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide
Growing Citrus: The Essential Gardener's Guide by Martin Page (Hardcover - December 17, 2008)
$34.95 $25.80