Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 24, 2000
Children of all ages will enjoy this book, especially if they love to grow plants. Growing Vegetable Soup is also woderfully illustrated. I used this book in a Literacy Bag in conjuction with a Peter Rabbit Garden created by my university. An activity that can be used with the book for young children would be a matching game--vegetable or tool picture to word.
on March 5, 2006
As a teacher, I have always loved this book. The bold colors hold children's attention, and it fits well with lessons for younger children on what seeds/plants need to grow, the growing process and includes a recipe for making your own vegetable soup. For early childhood teachers,it can become an early science/social studies/math lesson and also a parent/child activity. A must have!
on November 16, 2011
If you like this book, check out "Who Grew My Soup" about a boy who hatches a scheme to avoid eating his vegetables, but ends up on a madcap adventure to learn where food comes from. Chosen by the Agriculture Department for its "Agriculture in the classroom" program. Awesome illustrations by the famous C. F. Payne.
on June 12, 2016
As a gardener, I want to teach my grandson about the joy of growing vegetables and cooking with fresh ingredients. He likes this paperback book, but I find the colorful artwork very hard to look at. All-in-all, it is a good book for his collection.
on January 28, 2015
I bought this for my 7 year old plant lover. He was very interested in growing something he could then eat. However, he was VERY bored by this book. There are only a few words on each page making it seem like a book better suited for a child maybe 5 or under. The book does include a receipe using the veggies mentioned in the book, which I thought was a nice touch, but you could also just google vegetable soup and find one online I guess.
on April 16, 2014
This is a gorgeous book.... it is oversized and has big cardboard pages with really bright colors. I have a few of Lois Ehlert's other books but this is by far my favorite. I buy it as gifts for all of my friends children.
on May 23, 2013
My daughter is fascinated with gardening and she likes to make things, so this book was perfect. She wants to make the soup recipe at the back of the book now, and she wants to grow onions and potatoes, too. It is a great book for babies and all young children. It has very simple short sentences like, "We are planting the seeds," along with illustrations of the seeds and the name under each one: corn seed, pea seed, carrot seed, etc. This is a great spring/summer book to add to your child's home library.
on May 21, 2011
My 3,4,& 5 year olds loved this book. Great, colorful pictures that really pop! They loved being able to recognize different veggies they knew and eat at home! We used it during our "Spring Plant" unit - but it could also be used during a fall/harvest/Thanksiving theme. Next year I'm hoping to "make" the soup in class! A great addition to any teacher's personal library!
on April 10, 2012
This simple story introduces children to the basic growing cycle of garden vegetables. It opens with a child narrator stating, "Dad says we're going to grow vegetable soup." The narrator then explains in simple terms how the family goes about cultivating their vegetables, from planting to harvest. Ehlert illustrates each step with her characteristic collage-style art, more abstract than some of her other work. This is a great introduction to the joy of gardening, and the fact that this garden is a family project, culminating in a shared meal of soup, imbues the story with relational warmth.

With its predictable, simple text and visual warmth, this is a great preschooler read-aloud. It may also be enjoyed by early readers, although they might need help reading the names of vegetables.
on June 24, 2014
I use this book in a class I teach for early childhood educators. It is a pretty perfect book. The language is simple and elegant. The illustrations are beautiful and informative and they complement the text. It teaches several valuable concepts at a level that preschoolers can "get."

I watched a family child care provider with a mixed-age group of 2- to 4-year olds use this book and simple props to involve all the children in acting out: preparing the soil, planting seeds, watering them, harvesting the veggies, and then making mock soup in a real pot with plastic vegetables.

This could be combined with each child bringing one veggie from home and making real soup, perhaps also reading the book "Stone Soup."

Each wonderful new picture book is a gift, now more than ever as we understand early literacy. Thank you for "Making Vegetable Soup."