Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 13, 2012
i've had 2 cans for about 5 or mabey more years and though i've sprayed them both a couple of times to be sure they still worked i've never had to use it till today. A too curious black bear would not leave and was standing up on his hind feet with his paws on the house..nothing even my dogs barking right at him bothered him he; was really cute and though i don't mind them away from the house this one was too close for my comfort so i went to the top deck and put the dogs inside ( i didnt want them to catch a wiff) and the (black) bear actually stood up with his paws trying to latch onto the deck and i hated to do it but i just sprayed him directly in the face...from about 4 feet mabey 5 at most)He turned and ran in a split second..i'm worried that i hurt him but i know he'll recover and hope he learns not to come that close to people again..I hope people learn from this because i think people when the bear was smaller must have fed it...they are beautiful and it's exciting when they come to visit but they should stay far from the house and people and as fun as it may be to feed them and touch them please remember that they do grow up as this one did and now thought it was ok to come right up to me..not cool.. please do not feed them or play with the babies...i feel so bad for spraying the bear when probably he just wanted to play and eat but someone accustomed him to humans and that is NOT ok. please enjoy them but stay away from them ..they are wild animals.
2626 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2012
I live in Cincinnati, OH. People get attacked around campus all the time at UC. Being a single female, I thought this handy item would be a better option than a gun - people are routinely held up at gun point around here. I am very pleased - a nice poofy cloud of orange pepper spray shooting out 10 feet away is a nice way to keep someone out of your "personal space" when a vocal warning won't do the trick. I only wish that I could disguise this as an energy drink or something. In fact - I may invent something that does that. :)

UPDATE: I took off the label. Now it is a very innocuous looking canister. Perfect!!
1515 comments|75 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 24, 2013
I bought this product months ago and was happy with it. This morning, I woke up because I couldn't stop coughing and felt my throat swelling up. I then heard dripping noises and looked around my room to find that there was a HUGE red stain on my carpet. Looking up, I saw that the Bear Spray was leaking. The fumes from the spray leaked out in my room with no windows or doors open. I nearly passed out fromt he fumes. Stained everything from my drawers, cabinets, and carpet. Very unhappy that I spent $35 to wake up in such a horrific way. Stay away from this product! Lots of faulty ones.
on May 3, 2007
My job often takes me into the mountains involving timber sales, where Bear spray is a must (also for camping/hiking in Bear country). I have never had to use my spray but I have had several "close encounters" in which noise was sufficient to get the (black) bears to move off. I hope I never have to use the spray defensively. I chose the Guard Alaska Bearspray after reading the product description that it is the only one registered with the EPA as effective for 'all species' of bears. We also have Grizzlies in our neck of the woods (although, I have never seen one in the wild).

Noise is the first great option in bear avoidance. Let them know you are approaching with bear bells and talking. I repeat, "Hey, Bear" every ten or fifteen seconds while moving through the forest. I also intentionally snap off dead branches from fallen snags in my path followed by a "Hey, bear". The 'snap' usually resounds loudly through the forest so the bear knows at a distance that something is in the area and the voice will tell it that it's not a forest critter. Having a canister of bear spray is a very good (and necessary) back-up option.
44 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2014
Just started slowly leaking one night...what a horrible mess! Fortunately I was at home at the time. Now I know that I should have sealed it up in a Ziploc bag,,,probably double. I can't imagine what would have happened if it was in my gear in the car!...Rubber gloves, oil soap and a lot of hard work.....if I could give the product a negative star it'd be - 5....
on July 25, 2013
The packaging was so bad that the bear spray was all over inside the package, damaged and leaking. I tried to clean it so I could use it, not realizing that my skin would start burning for hours. It was horrible. They packaged it in a thin bubble wrapped coated envelope that can be bought at Wal-Mart. With this being such an expensive product, you would think that better care would go into packaging. I expect to get my money back...junk!
on August 19, 2013
luckily we had it in our day pack and it didn't spray out, but made a mess leaking onto everything in our car trunk! Hurt our eyes as it is strong stuff even if you don't handle it directly.
on November 24, 2012
didn't buy it for a bear... I'd rather spray a bad guy than shoot them & I don't have a license to carry any way... so beware, I carry this in my car & will use it! Bought one for my 90 year old dad & my kid. If it can stop a grizzly bear at 35 feet & a police-officer told me he'd rather be tazered than sprayed, I thought it was good enough for me.
on November 13, 2013
I bought two for our Canada/Alaska trip in the trailer. Before we left one went off in the house when no one was around, stained the carpet and made a mess. We took the other one with us and it leaked in a drawer on the trip. We talked to another camper and they had a similar problem with this brand last year.
on January 19, 2014
Thank god I haven't used it yet, but from my online research, I believe it to be the best.

I have decided to add the following to all my reviews:
Beware! Some "reviewers" will trash a product for no reason simply because they are paid to do so or because they sell competitive products. Other "reviewers" will give products - that they have never seen and never used - glowing 5 star ratings - for a fee. Some honest reviewers do not understand what a product is for or how to use it and will trash a product simply because they are just plain dumb.