4.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit - Jury is still out...
There's no question this unit works as advertised. This past spring I embarked on a massive landscaping overhaul and noticed that the deer had decided to sample some of my 200 new plants. I live in Morris County NJ on 3 acres of property - we have a lot of deer.

Published on November 6, 2008 by Rob R

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor construction
Published on May 27, 2010 by Stephen Widmark

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Great idea, poor construction, May 27, 2010
Stephen Widmark (Santa Cruz, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This device works great... when it works at all. I bought one last year and my deer problems vanished. I loved it so much I bought one for my in-laws. Then the problems started. The one I bought for my in-laws didn't work at all. Since I was an electronics tech, I was able to diagnose the problem: The power switch was broken. I purchased an identical, replacement switch and popped it in. The sensor + ultrasound started working correctly but the water pump did not turn on. It turns out the pump was bad as well. Meanwhile, our unit stopped working. I took it apart and found that the sensor/electronics unit was totally filled with water from our winter rains. The circuit board was completely corroded. The unit has inadequate seals and will not withstand a single winter. I'm not talking snow and sub-zero temperatures here. I'm talking about ordinary, California rain. It's a shame that such a great device could not be built and QCed better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Unit - Jury is still out..., November 6, 2008

There are similar units, however they require a hose and I was keenly interested in the portability of this unit. I put this unit in a strategic location and could hear it go off in the middle of the night during the summer. It made me smile every time - my plantings surely grinned too.

The jury is out, however, on the battery durability. Towards the fall it seems to have stopped working - but I am heavily wooded and this could be an artifact of very limited direct sun exposure to charge the solar cell. I'll revisit in the spring.

2.0 out of 5 stars Guardener Ad01 2.0 Animal Repellent, April 16, 2012
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
Although I cannot provide a review on how this Animal Repellent works, I can say that my husband has called the manufacturer no less than 6 times over the past 2 or 3 days, as there is obviously something wrong with one of the two we purchased. He is only able to leave messages; no one has called back. We don't know if it is fixable or not. Without good customer service to back up a product, what does a person do if the product doesn't work right? For that reason I am giving this item a low review. (Weeks later, the following addition to review has been added by my very frustrated husband) " NOW, WEEKS LATER, we have still not received a return call from then manufacturer and have inundated both the sales and support departments with messages. I am afraid to try to fix these green monsters myself, because it will null and void any warranty this product may have. I HIGHLY ADVISE that you do not buy this product as it appears the manufacturer does not back it up. There has been absolutely no response to my numerous attempts to contact this company!

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job others can't, August 17, 2011
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
I've been using this product for 2 weeks with great success. It has one fault: the sprayer doesn't go more than about 15 yards. My girlfriend tested the guardener for two weeks in her front yard. She said it drove the squirrels away. Since I moved it to the vegetable garden the deer stay away but we still have a raccoon problem. We will see how the guardener performs in next few weeks.
We've tried a scarecrow. It works great but is limited by the hose. I recommend the scarecrow for the range of its sprayer. The scarecrow throws water a good 25 yards. It takes a 9-volt battery that lasts about 6 weeks.
I've also tried various motion-activated sound and light sensors powered by solar-power. They work but have limited range.
I highly recommend at least 3-2 guardeners for a 150 ft by 75-ft garden.

If this review was helpful please add your vote.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great Concept, Shoddy Spigot Assembly., July 11, 2011
Pros: Solar means no connecting power. Built in water basin means no connecting it to a hose. The water sprayer DOES scare off deer when it is working. The battery is good and will last a while.

Cons: The water spraying spigot tends to break or become misaligned frequently. I have given up on repairing mine after it failed for the 5th time. The sounds it makes do not effectively scare the deer. the water basin will need to be filled often, as every other time the motion detector detects motion, water is sprayed.

Conclusion: I really wanted to like this item, but I cannot endorse it after having had it for 2 years. I have given up on it and have purchased a "Scarecrow" to try next.

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective and can't contact seller, customer service or tech support, May 9, 2012
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
I have tried to contact customer support by phone and email and can't seem to get anyone! I wouldn't waste my money on this product if you can't contact anyone for a broken item. The sprinkler on my unit does not spin to where the movement is sensed, but more so it doesn't work if it's not in direct sunlight. I've had it charge for days in the sunlight but as soon as it moves into the shade or it becomes dark, it shuts down. My deer problems are in the middle of the night so this item, if it's working the way it's supposed to doesn't work for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars My garden is better than ever, June 25, 2011
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
Contrary to what everyone else here has to say, the new version of the Guardener (v2.0) really lives up to its potential. I have been using the old version, which worked... but could have used improvements. After I got the new version this year, I could happily come home and see my fresh hosta's, roses, camellias, and hydrangeas blooming without any deer or animals pestering it. Even now I can still see deer in the distance, but they don't even bother coming close to my plants anymore, probably because they feel threatened by the device (from experience). I am so glad I found this solar-powered, environmentally friendly, garden-saving product, I saved so much money from this product because all I need is water!

1.0 out of 5 stars You will regret it if you buy one of these things, August 25, 2012
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
I am desperate for protection against deer; I have just over five acres, and lots of it is devoted to rosebushes. The deer just devour them--indeed, they eventually will kill the
plants, as they continue to come back again and again. For a while I had a dog which did a pretty good job of protecting the blooms, but the dog got old and passed on. I got another
dog, this time from the pound. He's sweet, smart, but no good as a deer chaser. Still, I keep him because I can't bear to send him back to the pound. I saw a reference to The Guardener
and found them online and bought THREE of them. Long story short? Not a one of them works, and they are still brand new. One of them worked for a day or two, but
that's it. The people who sold them to me were evasive, then completely non-responsive. Six hundred bucks down the toilet. My advice to you? Don't do it. Don't buy
one of these things. Good luck with your flowers. (And trees--hell, they gnaw at my lemon and orange trees, too).

2.0 out of 5 stars no customer support, June 14, 2012
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
I am truly disappointed. This product is a great idea just poorly manufactured. It stopped working three weeks after install. Their web site says to call for the symptoms I was having. I called four times and got no response. I will attempt to fix it myself - I believe the battery is bad and won't hold a charge - but you cannot rely on customer service!

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor support from manufacturer, July 19, 2013
This review is from: Guardener A201 2.0 Animal Repellent (Lawn & Patio)
Product arrived with loose solar panel. Tried to reach manufacturer for advice using customer service line provided in instruction booklet. Made very many calls, only was able to reach voicemail, and no one ever returned call. Expected better post-sale service given high price of product. Finally returned product to Amazon. Amazon return service has been excellent.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›