Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Guardians: The Girl (The Guardians Series, Book 1)
Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 27, 2012
I purchased this book for my kindle and thought I was getting a great read. At first glance the quick summary offers the reader a glimpse into Lola's world of Angels and how they are supposed to help save the world with the help of their "clue", Emerson Baxter. (Emmy for short) When I first started reading I did not enjoy or like the way the author wrote but that was purely personal preference so I did NOT hold that against her and kept reading. As I continued reading Lola's theory's and ideas behind her Angels and her "Guardians", I enjoyed it immensely, however as I continued I realized her main character is the girl in school that you almost feel sorry for and then realize she is a back stabbing bit%$. She's a 15 year old girl who spent half the book complaining and crying and you just wanted to tell her yourself to grow the F@#% up. In addition to that she immediately fell in love with the main Angel Marcus, (still nothing crazy here) but Marcus completely ignored her and did not come across as feeling the same way until you read his version of the story (which was about 40% of the way through the book) and he just immediately falls in love with her at first glance, just like that. Eventually he tells her he loves her but he can't be with her because he already has a girlfriend, I get the emotions the Author was trying to get across but trust me it does NOT work, you end up feeling sorry for the girlfriend (who starts to get portrayed as a "bad" person/Angel) and you get mad at Emmy for being that girl who steals away boyfriends. Not only that but the book is about how Emmy is supposed to save the world and throughout most of the book it's her crying, UM HELLO BIGGER PICTURE HERE!!! Millions of lives are at stake, over oh the guy I like doesn't want to be with me let me cry for the next century. Sometimes she's wises up and she says "Ok I'm going to be an adult and realize I'm the key to saving the world and try not to screw everything up" and then she goes oh wait I'm in love with this Angel who I know has a girlfriend but I'm a home wrecker and ruins the entire thing AGAIN. Not only that but the Author tries to give Emmy a love interest and just when things start getting slightly more serious, she kills him off so as not to deal with the inevitable fight that would/should have happened.
I ended up hating the main character and wishing Marcus would wise up and just stay with his Girlfriend.
I haven't completed the book yet, I am 80% of the way through it and trust me just finishing it is going to be hard enough. I liked all of the Authors ideas on her Angels and Guardians but her writing did not do it justice. Right now I HATE the book and do not see myself enjoying it any more than I've already tried. The Main Characters are horrible and I ended up Hating them and what would have been a lovely story of Angels Saving the World.
I can't tell if I'm biased or not and I have also read the reviews about other readers raving about the book, which I don't know how they could when you put it up against a series such as Patricia Briggs or even Eileen Wilks. Even if you don't compare other series to this one, it's not worth purchasing it or reading it when there are so many other books out there with the same idea in mind and you wont end up hating the characters.
1010 comments|453 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2012
When I downloaded this book to my Kindle I was expecting a girl who was unsure but would step up and be ready to save the world. What I got was a girl who cried for more than half the book and it was mostly because she was in love with someone else's boyfriend. At the beginning I was slightly irritated with Emmy more due to the fact that she was like "I'm a loser and I'll be this way for all my life and poor pitiful me." That is the impression I received from her so I really wanted her to be the kind of character to shake it off and be a badass chick. That happened maybe three times when she would stand up for something other than her nonexistent relationship with Marcus. This was from her POV the first 40% of the book or so.
I will definitely admit to enjoying her version and explanation of Heaven and Hell. It was unique and intriguing along with all the rules that went along with it. However this and the Save the World mission seemed unimportant because Emmy was constantly focused on Marcus. Love at first sight and obsession followed soon after. This is when I started to like her character even less than I did to begin with. They are all supposed to find this map and the thing that everyone is focused on is her and Marcus. He has a girlfriend who is a warrior-esque Guardian and that seems to just not filter into her brain for reasons unknown. Not only that but Marcus is a character that is unlikable at the very beginning and through to the end. We get to see from his POV and he's just as stupid as she is.
I love you ever since I first saw you, but I made a promise to be with my girlfriend. So I still love you but I can't be with you; although I will gaze at you from afar and act like a jealous boyfriend. The author also makes Ameana seem like the "angel" of the group. She wasn't the most pleasant Guardian to be around but she made her seem like a major bitch which understandable seeing as how this girl she's supposed to protect is trying to steal her boyfriend. Also when Emmy seems to be getting over Marcus and there is another love interest involved she kills off the character. That would have been a good adventure and we readers could stop seeing her cry and whine over Marcus in almost every single page. I will say that there WERE times when Emmy would stand up for something and be total badass; however it mostly happened when it came to her feelings with Marcus. This was also a fast paced book. So fast that after she received her injuries we don't know what happened or if they healed. Like when she got punched and her eye was swollen shut, how in the hell did she hide this from her mother? Unexplained.
Basically this book was made to seem interesting and I don't understand all the five star reviews because it wasn't good. A whiny selfish lead character who is supposed to help save the world although all her focus is on a guy she loves within the first second of seeing him. Said guy is a manipulative unfocused indecisive ass who says one thing and means another; while lying to his team and withholding information. This book was 20% save the world the other 80% a book about a mopey girl with issues who has more important things to worry about than finding the map. I finished it and I didn't enjoy it all, I thought it would get better but no good came of it. If you buy this book instead of getting it for free like I did good luck to you; and don't forget that you can get a refund within a week I believe.
22 comments|203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2012
Words can't even describe my love for this book. It was beyond amazing. It was so original. I've never read an angel book like this. Every angel has a different power. Not only do they have wings but they get an awesome power too. That's just not fair. This is one of those book that you want to jump into. It was very hard to put down.

I really liked Emmy. She handles things pretty well. Sometimes she broke down but she's human what do you expect. At times she was a little desperate. That got kinda annoying. Marcus is amazing. I absolutely adore him. There was one thing that bothered me. He said he was going to stay with Ameana but by the end he wanted Emmy. I like Emmy better but I didn't like how it took the whole book for Marcus to make up his mind. Other then Marcus my two favorite guardians were Reese and Rio. Their powers were the best in my opinion. I didn't think we saw enough of Reese. Of course both my favorite characters might not have a big part in the sequel :(. Jay was awesome. I'm not really sure what his power was though. Ameana was incredibly annoying. I feel bad for her but she's a jerk. I loved Miku too. She was super sweet.

The storyline was fantastic. It had so many twists and turns. The excitement never stopped. Overall I love this book with all my heart. It has everything a book needs. Amazing characters and a fast paced plot. With that ending there better be a sequel. I might hurt someone if there isnt. Hopefully there will be and it won't take forever to come out. I highly recommend this. 5/5 Stars
on July 23, 2015
Lola St Vil books The Guardian and her Noru series made me feel like I found my place. I now have my Tic family to always be by my side. I adore every single one of them. Reading her books are like a rollercoaster but in the end its worth every pain and suffering and happiness and excitement. I found my one and only true book hubby in her books and I WONT share him with ANYONE!!!. Read her books, become a Tic, join the groups. You wont regret it.This isn't your typical angel books. IT IS WORTH BUYING From Sarah Akers
on October 29, 2015
Where to begin?
What lead me to this series was The Noru. As I'm reading through this book, the names are a bit familiar to me, and I'm trying to place how I know the characters. Then about halfway through the book, it hits me: These are the parents to the Noru!!!!! I immediately mentally kicked myself in the rear for not reading this series first. But it's okay, I was a bit confused on some parts in The Noru series, and I'm on my way to clearing a few things up.
This series was amazing, but this book as a starter kind of annoyed me.
You have Emmy, the human, who is the key to unlocking the location to the "map" to save humanity from evil; Marcus, who's the First Guardian to The Guardians, and The Guardians themselves; Reese, Jay, the twins Rio and Miku, and Ameana. Then there's a few other characters that have a part through the entire series, like Julian and Tony, but I don't want to give away any spoilers.
All in all, yes, Emmy is annoying, and yes, her and Marcus are "in love" with each other from the moment they meet.
Ameana you'll come to hate, and wish death upon a few times (cruel, I know, but she's a real, you know, and stands between Marcus and Emmy).
Emmy knows what she wants, and she's going to do whatever she can to get that, even if it means putting her own life in danger.
on May 1, 2012
So I've been having an Angel detox for 3 months. I've read so many in the last year that I couldn't stomach much more God vs. Satan, Fallen Angels, White Angels, Good versus Evil Etc. I started one more, a traditionally published popular one at that, and I couldn't take it. Same old, same old. I had to put it away and start another paranormal genre.

So when I started Guardians I had middling expectations. However, what I read, even in the first few pages was the biggest shocking wow I've experienced in a long while. Guardians is an amazing read!

The story is complete in the following ways. There are great fun characters. There's a hormonally emotional teen girl at the centre. The gimmicks of snaps, ports, samson string, holders, and runners are well planned. The lore and dictionary of angel terms is so different and new to anything I've ever read. The dialogue is quick-witted and unique and the romance isn't anything I expected at all. This is a book that has been thoroughly planned, right down to the tiny intricate details and my hat goes off to Lola for it, she's written something exceptional.

At the end of Part 1, I absolutely felt my heart go out to Emmy. She's 15 and so obsessively in love. We all remember what that was like, right? I remember being completely nuts about a guy and I cycled for 2 miles to go past his house every night just to see if he was in! Hmm! Anyway!

Emmy can never have what she wants. And there's the twist. She doesn't get it entirely and her life becomes unbearable. The pure emotions that pour out of this girl are heart breaking and nothing can change what has happened. In addition, she's not only responsible for saving the world but a possible conduit to ending it also. Pressure!

At the end of Part 2, I wanted to wring the Guardian leader Marcus' neck for being such a dolt! Get your Rah back, I was shouting! Then you realise that his life isn't easy either. The others in his group are turning against him and the dangers and enemies are doubling, tripling around him, Emmy, and the Guardians to such intensity that...

Part Three just didn't stop. I literally turned page after page barely breathing. The action was electric and so fast paced it changed into a thriller at break-neck speed.

Lola, I really hope you can write the second book quickly because I feel like I'm standing in mid-air wondering what's going to happen next. Will the Guardians prevail? Will the evil turn on her Mum? Will they ...? Won't they...? Argh!!! See what I mean!

Guardians: The Girl astounded me. There's no comparison to anything I've read about angels before and if you like angel books such as Hush, Hush, Fallen or Halo then ... two words. READ IT!

-CBx
on July 14, 2015
I loved how the story progressed. Star-crossed love and romance that sends your heart pulsing out of control. I loved the plot line, the characters are well developed and it keeps you turning the pages.

Lola StVil is an amazing writer, I am so very excited about the other books in this series as well as other and upcoming works from this author.

Al-Khemet Book Club JUL 2015
on October 18, 2015
I don't care if all the people who gave a one star rating think the plot is moving way too slowly, and I don't care if the main character is a whiny teenager. Besides, she definitely has better character th an I do, and teenagers are supposed to be self-absorbed and love struck. To be honest, it's actually unrealistic to think that a fifteen-year-old can save the world without a few-- no a ton of bumps in the road. The truth is, Lola StVil is a genius in my eyes. Not a genius...a really awesome, funny young lady from the Caribbean who fills this book with charm. I can never critique something properly if it has charm, and let me tell you, this book is full of charm. I love it so much. I read the review s and tried really hard to be skeptic, but she got me by the second chapter. I grinned from ear to ear through the whole thing. Except when you-know-what happened (I was actually rootinog for my little poem writer!) . Intriguing from start to finish...all the characters were quite unique, even though the main character was a bit typical, (aren't all teenagers? Jk, we are all special), I love the viewp the author has of heaven, and I think everything was so perfectly put together (I love all of the Cores, Angel 101, the Jean-Jacques Dessalines, Bob Marley and Africa references, and oI can tell you either put a lot of thought into this or you're just a naturally creative genius! I know you're not the only one out there, but you really know how to entertain and make the reader feel connected with all of this, and I just wanna say thank you for writing this, and thank you to everyone who helped make it. I'm buying the next one right away :)
on January 22, 2016
I absolutely loved this series and had to read them all. The characters are so complex and well thought out that you can really see it in your minds eye and imagine yourself there in the story. It keeps on task and the plot is very well comprised and thought out. I would enjoy seeing more books like this from this author.
on May 22, 2014
I was so entranced with this book that I couldn't put it down!! There's not a thing I didn't like about! The author describes everything so vividly that it makes it impossible not to visualize being there! Also....so I don't spoil it, I'll just say....one part had me bawling like a baby!
I would recommend this series to anyone who enjoys drama, adventure, somewhat super natural and especially teen readers! I'm 43 and I thoroughly enjoyed it and can't wait to read book 2 (:
~Cerina, Astoria, OR, USA