Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts for Her  Fine Art Deals Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Shop Now HTL

Love Guernsey, love The Book Thief; pls recommend others

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-46 of 46 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 15, 2009 6:21:26 PM PDT
There is an older book, The Avenue Goes to War, by R.F. Delderfield and as such is not readily available. I feel that it is worth the effort to trace it down. It is the second part of the series that starts with The Avenue. It tells the story of a neighborhood in pre-WWII(The Avenue) and WWII London(The Avenue Goes to War). Both The Avenue and The Avenue Goes to War are very good. If you like the time periods and would like to branch into videos, try Enemy at the Door (seasons 1 & 2) and Island at War. Both deal with the German occupation of the channel islands.

Posted on Oct 16, 2009 4:14:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2009 11:05:01 AM PDT
Peter Lihou says:
Check out the 'tag' for guernsey or the 'occupation' for more books on a similar subject.

My favourite is Rachel's Shoe !

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 5:38:55 PM PDT
stones from the river by ursula hegi is a wonderful book about a young woman dwarf librarian growing up in a small german town just prior to world war 2. if you liked the book thief, you will also love this one

Posted on Feb 9, 2010 1:28:16 PM PST
Crystal K says:
Ok I am traveling again and looking for a book to take with - prefer it available on Kindle - but beggars can't be choosers. I loved Our Hearts were Young and Gay - gives you a feel for traveling Europe back in the 1920's and 30's. Thank you for the recommendation. But now I am going back to China - into Beijing but the main trip will be in Shanghai and Guilin. I have read Pearl S Buck - am really looking for something set in the period when there was the foreign enclave in Shanghai - the international settlements. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated . And any recommendations on river cruising and Guilin would be tremendous!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2010 7:10:42 AM PST
I think you will enjoy Gertruda's Oath re a Polish Catholic Nanny during WWII promising to care for her Jewish charge as Warsaw falls and they finally make their way to Israel on the Exodus- a story of love and duty.
Also Sarah's Key set in WWII Paris- a Jewish family taken away by the Paris police and the daughter trying to return with her apartment key to save her brother. Good historical fiction

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2010 6:51:21 AM PDT
Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. That is what i would recommend. It is set in WW11 period from the point of view of a Chinese American boy who had a Japanese American schoolmate. I loved Guernsey and am about to start the Book Thief.

Posted on Mar 24, 2010 1:23:18 PM PDT
L. Atwood says:
Winspear's novels, starting with Maisie Dobbs, were very enjoyable reading, set in post WWII England, if you haven't discovered them yet. They are better if you can start at the first novel and read chronologically.

Posted on Mar 27, 2010 1:44:49 PM PDT
I quite enjoyed the Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee. Beautifully written, Gatsby-esque. Set in Hong Kong, it focuses on the intertwined lives of high society British ex-pats and locals while the time period alternates between the war-torn 1940s during the German occupation and post-war 1950s. Both romance and mystery, it is a story of survival and finding oneself.

I would also recommend Lost by Daniel Mendelsohn. A very touching account of one man's journey to research what happened to 6 relatives from Bolechow, Poland who perished in the Holocaust. Along the way he discovers the heart-wrenching stories of other survivors and reconnects with his siblings.

If you like books such as Guernsey & The Book Thief, then try the Flavia de Luce mysteries by Alan Bradley which are set in post-war 1950 on a crumbling English Manor. The protagonist is precocious 11-year old Flavia, who wins your heart with her passion for chemistry, quirky literary references and fearlessness to solve local crimes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2010 3:11:19 PM PDT
A High and Hidden Place by Michele Lucas is fiction based on the true story of the Nazi massacre of Oradour-sur-Glane, a small French village. It is a fascinating book, but much darker than Guernsey.

Posted on Jun 4, 2010 3:08:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 4, 2010 3:10:26 PM PDT
Heidi says:
Great discussion. I don't think anyone had recommended you read The Hiding Place, by Corrie Ten Boom yet. Very powerful.
Here's a link to the book on Amazon:
The Hiding Place

Posted on Aug 9, 2010 12:59:48 PM PDT
lamato says:
I recommend City of Thieves: A Novel. This novel was based in Russia, and I would consider it a page turner.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 12:00:18 PM PST
Kat Cameron says:
Read all through this post and wondered if anyone would mention City of Thieves. I also found this story very engaging.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 11:49:10 AM PDT
KB says:
Off the subject of WWII: try Molokai by Alan Brennert- beautiful story, well-written and ver y interesting. Also, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet-by Jamie Ford. But, Book Thief will forever remain my favorite!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2011 7:05:58 PM PDT
Ruth says:
SHANGHAI GIRLS by lisa See - begins in China 1937, as Japanese invade China, details of international community, difficulty of evacuation, Chinese immigrants crossing the Pacific, reaction of the Chinese community of in CA to war - begins where THE GOOD EARTH stops.

Posted on Jun 13, 2011 7:18:57 PM PDT
Ruth says:
SHANGHAI GIRLS by lisa See - begins in Shanghai in 1937 as Japanese invade China, the international community in Shanghai, historical detail as Chinese travel to escape Japanese atrocities - immigration experience, reaction of China Town in CA to send aid back to China, Chinese view of war years and immigrant experience. Another point of view of WWII.

Posted on Aug 24, 2011 7:19:29 PM PDT
JoLynn says:
L. Bryan says: "I'm looking for similar books set around WWII...not on the front lines, bombs, guns, etc. but *around* WWII...people's ordinary/extraordinary lives during the war."

A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute - wonderful

Posted on Oct 17, 2011 3:14:49 PM PDT
Peter Lihou says:
Guernsey - WWII - Rachel's Shoe

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2012 8:02:55 PM PDT
I liked the Book Thief a lot more than Guernsey Island.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 8:21:42 PM PDT
lori thomas says:
Kate atkinson is coming out with a marvelous book, Life After Life. various aspects of WWII, a lot of the bombing of London.

Posted on Jul 2, 2013 6:23:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2013 6:24:41 PM PDT
Some of my favorite WW2 novels: The Invisible Bridge, Unbroken (Non-fiction - there is a bit of fighting in this one, but it's such an amazing story), City of Thieves, Suite Française. I love WW2 historical fiction and my two favorites are The Guernsey book and The Book Thief. The Invisible Bridge (Vintage Contemporaries)
Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption
City of Thieves: A Novel
Suite Francaise

Posted on Jan 22, 2014 4:39:04 AM PST
Emily says:
I highly recommend A Pledge of Silence. It is about the nurses stationed in the Philippines during WWII. Amazing book!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  40
Total posts:  46
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about