on October 13, 2008
Format: Paperback
This book sadly doesn't live up to the hype. It reads as an advertisement for the services of the authors and even uses one of the authors as a case study.
The authors use every old marketing trick in the book to try to sell in the new internet world. Truly long online sales letters and one page websites that try to gather user data are not revolutionary and are a true turn off to lots of folks.
It is rare that I return a book but this one is going back.
on August 8, 2008
Format: Paperback
This was not my first book in the Guerrilla Marketing series. I have a great deal of respect for Jay Conrad Levinson. His books and his writing style hook me, they're like reading great novels, fast-paced novels at that, his books are tough to put down. I always feel like he's had about 6 cups of coffee and can't even contain his excitement when he's telling you what you need to know.

I think it is problematic when Levinson writes these books with other authors. I read GM in 30 Days which Levinson co-wrote, and that book was also a little sloppy. When Levinson is the co-writer, I don't feel the energy all the way through the book, but I do in some parts and I feel I can tell who was writing in certain sections.

So, to GM on the Internet specifically. There probably isn't much new here if you read the 4th edition of Guerilla Marketing, where Levinson starts talking about blogs, podcasts and websites, however, the ideas are discussed in more depth, a good thing for Guerrillas. The rest of the book is rather obvious if you're a Guerilla. I have not read any other Internet Marketing books, nor will I, so I'm not sure if this one is par for the course.

There were many mis-spelling and improper word uses in this book. A specific example, on page 133 there is a paragraph that starts "If you'd if you'd", so again, it's just poor oversight, probably the publisher/editor's fault, not necessarily the authors. On page 85 the word "covert" should have been "convert".

If I were to point out the most helpful part of the book, it would be the web links provided, these were decent and I have started trying to get myself familiar with the ones I had not heard of. In the section on podcasting, the authors were very specific with the directions for creating a podcast. I wasn't in front of a computer when I read that section, but I felt I could see every step. However, for all the detail there, there was not as much detail given to some areas where I personally felt I could have been enlightened, for example the sections about Search Engine Optimization, Affiliate Programs and Merchant Accounts were too short and what was there was too diffucult to comprehend.

Overall, I love the Guerrilla Marketing series. I do suggest this book because even if you're an accomplished Guerrilla, this book is a relatively quick read and could be seen as an up to date (published in 2008) refresher course. If you're not a Guerrilla, read this book, and then go back and read the main Guerrilla Marketing book and you'll be all the better for it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 1, 2008
Format: Paperback
I guess it depends what you are looking for in this book, but a lot of the same old stuff rehashed here. Mainly relevant to "sales letter" type websites. Not ecommerce if that is what you are after.
on March 7, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I bought this book for my on-line marketing course (graduate level) and I found this book to be a complete disappointment. The book is not targeted at people who have a basic knowledge of marketing in general. Even if you have no knowledge in this field, purchase a different book. The information in this book is so basic, repetitive, and dumbed down that it is difficult to take seriously.

It is apparent from the very beginning that as a reader you are being marketed to. This becomes annoying and I lost my trust in the authors because of this. Not to mention I didn't think the examples of excellent on-line marketing tactics were very good at all. For everyone who wants expert examples that are amazing, this is not the book for you.

The book is also poorly edited. The mistakes are all over the place and I would love to recommend a copyeditor to the authors. It is hard to take a book seriously when there are typos and out right errors throughout the book.

The repetitive language is highly redundant. You will read the same thing over and over and wonder if you've some how lost your place in the book. It is clear that the authors do not have high expectations for their audience; they repeat basic ideas continuously and use overly simplified language. The simplicity of the language doesn't allow the authors to clearly explain what crucial internet/computer components are, what they do, and why they are important for marketing.

The information in the book is already dated. I would recommend finding a book that has more up to date information, the authors of this book are mourning the addition of pop up blockers.
on September 30, 2008
Format: Paperback
For any small business, the Guerrilla series on building a business at a lower cost is an excellent resurce. We've used "Guerrilla Marketing" in our small business for more than 5 years, and found it very useful in helping our business grow while keeping our costs down.

Briefly, the differences between Guerrilla Marketing and traditional marketing are a greater dependence on personal networking, word-of-mouth, and personal efforts, and the realization that marketing includes everything a business person does, including the design of the Web site and the appearance of the store. Not to mention having a good product and a passion for your business.

But perhaps the biggest difference is that the Guerrilla Marketer understands that building a business and marketing it takes time. It's a process that goes on all the time, for as long as it takes to be successful. It doesn't take a lot of money, but it does take time.

I think that as a writer that's the most important lesson I've learned from reading Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet. The Internet is a flash thing. In designing Web sites, there's the rule of three's: 3 seconds to get someone's attention, and 3 clicks for them to find what they're looking for on a site. Ironically, using such a fast system and making it work for an entrepreneur is not a short process.

Bulding a Web site? Make sure it represents your company, because it's your store window to the world's Main Street.

Using a Blog? If not, you might consider doing so because it's a very useful tool in personal networking on the Web. But building relationships in cyberspace takes time, and cultivating customers takes time.

This book defines all the terms businesspeople may not yet understand and best of all, takes the fear out of them. Why not do a podcast? Try RSS feeds, by all means.

Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet is a perfect marketing approach for Web 2.0 social networking. If you're at all uncertain of how to use the new technologies -- or even what they are -- this book will educate you. And probably make you more money along the way.
on October 20, 2009
Format: Paperback
Jay Conrad Levinson, Mitch Meyerson, and Mary Eule Scarborough set out to continue with Levinson's best-selling guerrilla marketing series and apply these principles to the internet. They begin by briefly explaining the basic principles for those who have not read any of the guerrilla marketing books before, and then quickly delve into its numerous applications for marketers trying to get the most out of their limited resources through the internet.

After the brief introduction, the authors move quickly into the content of the book and cover many different topics in the chapters as listed:
Chapter 1: The internet: the most powerful Guerrilla marketing tool ever created
Chapter 2: The 12 biggest internet marketing mistakes - and how to avoid them
Chapter 9: Guerrilla internet weapons
Chapter 10: The Web 2.0 Guerrilla
Chapter 11: Guerrilla internet marketing in action: four innovative campaigns
Chapter 12: Guerrilla momentum and people power

The organization of this book is very intuitive in the way that it takes the reader from the very beginning of the internet process through tips to succeed after you up and running as a website. He starts out explaining how you should do the basics such as choosing your site design and type, choosing a domain name and hosting company, as well as navigation guidelines and design tips. He goes on to describe the easiest ways to sell online (through direct response communication) and how to tailor your site to meet the needs of the customers in this area. Another section of the book deals with technology that could be added to your site as well as emails to set your website apart from the rest of the internet. These things range from audio and video, to podcasts and RSS feeds. Another section that I felt was very important stressed the fact that you can't do everything yourself as an entrepreneur and sometimes you need help. He goes over the times when it is the most beneficial for a guerrilla to outsource the work or find a freelancer. Towards the end of the book he lists over 170 weapons that a guerrilla could use to help promote their website on the internet, and this list contains many good ideas that most people simply wouldn't think of on their own.

There is very little that he has taken from others as far as theory goes. Throughout this book Levinson looks to build off of his already successful guerrilla marketing framework. He takes the reader through a step by step process in each of the above topics and helps them understand not only WHAT to do to be a successful guerrilla marketer, but he helps them understand WHY they should be doing this. This reasoning is frequently backed up by statistics and studies about consumers' tendencies as users of the internet, which helps out with the validity of his theories and suggestions for the best course of action. He also uses examples frequently to explain how the concepts he introduces could actually be used in the real business.

Pro's
Easy to read and comprehend
Uses examples of the theories in practice
Gives sound advice that makes sense and backs it up with evidence

Con's
Can be repetitive at times
Basic, may need additional information to put some things into practice

Overall, I think this book was a very good read for both people interested in starting out with an internet venture, as well as those who are already established but are looking for ways to improve their website while keeping costs low. Levinson obviously has tons of experience with this style of marketing and he makes it simple and easy for people of any level of computer literacy to understand the concepts he is talking about as well as the application of these concepts. This book will save you time, stress, and money when it comes to marketing on the internet, and I recommend it to all you prospective marketers out there.
on December 26, 2010
Format: Paperback
Poorly edited, uninteresting, lack of focus, needed more real life examples...this is a boring and outdated read. One of the few times I have felt I threw my money on a book. Sad.
on December 27, 2010
Format: PaperbackVerified Purchase
I've purchased this book because I was impressed with the high rating of it. After reading the book my impression was that it is geared towards entry-level, begginer person that has little experience about online business and marketing. However, for more experienced and advanced users you probably find this book not helpful at all. The book covers very brief information on very many different topics about an online business. It does not go into depth about any specific topic (as you might guess since the book only has 230 pages). Rather, the book covers general things that most people probably already know i.e. your website business should include a Blog, newsletter, facebook, etc. The other aspect of the book i found displeasing is having the author plug-in or give his own websites about specific things one might look for (i.e. list of web hosts, internet merchant accounts, etc).
on December 12, 2008
Format: Paperback
The internet has revolutionized many things about business, including advertising. "Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet: The Definitive Guide from the Father of Guerrilla Marketing" is a marketing guide for selling one's product with little investment using the vast resources that the internet provides. Promoting ten strategies on the subject, backed up with case studies and advice on expertly crafting a website, "Guerrilla Marketing on the Internet" is enhanced with a bonus Internet Jumpstart Kit, making this a must for any who want to use the internet to push their product.
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2009
Format: Paperback
I guess this book could help you if you're brand new and just exploring your options using the Internet to market your product or service.

I was disappointed.

I bought the book because of the names on the cover, and felt let down after reading it. General information at best...no depth on any subject.