Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Guerrilla Music Marketing Online: 129 Free & Low-Cost Strategies to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on April 5, 2012
I bought Bob's book about 8 months ago. It was jam packed with info and idea's and I was a little intimidated to even start implementing any of the info at first. But as I read the book.. he kept saying that it was ok to do just a little at a time, and not to feel I had to "do it all" at once. Well.. I have to tell you.. that his info and idea's are springboards for achieving results. By that, I mean, if you just start doing some of the things..(you do have to be disciplined and do a little every day.. just stay on it) you will see MANY new journeys and paths arise from taking these small steps that Bob tells you about.
And each new path.. if you follow it.. will result in MORE new paths and journeys in the ENORMOUS, ever expanding music marketing world.
In 6 months of working Bob's idea's, I have gotten radio play, yes, REAL Radio play in Italy, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, England, Scotland, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America, Philippines and all over the US. What's better than that... is that I now have an actual, professional music public relations firm handling my promotion!! I got all of that by following leads that were generated by taking the baby steps outlined in Bob's book. Fact is I have been so busy with my music networking... that I stopped using the info in Bob's book two months ago! I don't have time to implement any more concepts! And yes, I'm a real person.. not paid by Bob. I'm Doug Fergus from Ashland, Oregon in a band called Naked In Public.
on July 17, 2011
[...] is celebrating our 15th year online in 2011, and Bob Baker and his "Buzz Factor" ezine have been around even longer than that. He was writing books and web articles way back when the internet was in its infancy. His book Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook has been an indie best seller for years, and now he has published Guerrilla Music Marketing Online: 129 Free & Low-Cost Strategies to Promote & Sell Your Music on the Internet. It should be noted that Baker is from St. Louis and has a background as a musician and music journalist prior to writing his books and consulting as a marketing guru.

One of Baker's strong points as a writer and marketing guide is his conversational style, which easily guides us though non-intimidating methods. It's built from the ground up, and it presents rational examples for real life musicians to follow. With Baker's guerrilla techniques, you don't need to hire a high-dollar publicist or promoter. Instead, you get your hands dirty and run your own small business marketing your music.

There's plenty of ideas you can try immediately, and with 129 total "tips", you can stay busy for a long time building and expanding your empire. Even though I've been running [...] for 15 years, I still learned from Guerrilla Music Marketing Online. Some ideas were reminders of things I already knew, but had not been using effectively. Other ideas were totally new, even to me. The bottom line is, this book will give you ideas, inspiration, and fuel to kick your music marketing up several notches.
on May 26, 2011
One of the things Bob Baker recommends in this book is reviewing products on Amazon... Well, Bob, you asked for it!

For those of you who don't know Bob Baker: he is the author of a string of books, newsletters, articles, podcasts etc. about music marketing, targeting (unsigned) indie musicians. As such, and because he is very good in marketing himself, Bob has built a solid reputation in the biz over the past 15 years.

The book that made his name was the Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook which is still a highly useful publication for everyone in a band that doesn't have a clue where to start in the music business. It teaches you that marketing isn't a dirty word (though I think you are already convinced of this when you decide to buy this book), about the importance of knowing yourself, your music and your fans, how to market your music at live gigs and online, where to sell your CD etc.

It's basically an introduction to the subject of marketing with a large part dedicated to internet marketing.

Guerrilla Music Marketing Online is Baker's newest book. If you have read the latest edition of the Guerrilla Music Marketing Handbook, most of what you read in this new bundle will sound very familiar to you.

Again, we learn what a good website should contain, that CD Baby is the place to offer your CDs and MP3s, how social media can help you etc. The main differences are that it's divided into short chapters ("strategies") and that the information has been updated - which is obviously a good thing in the ever faster changing world of the Internet. The latter also means that some of the info in this book will be outdated soon as well.

For those who haven't read the other title, Guerrilla Music Marketing Online might come in handy, especially if you're new to music and marketing.

Others might be slightly disappointed, though. The weak points of Baker's work are that his advice is sometimes of a very general nature and that he often repeats himself. Now I know that repetition is important to get the message through, but if you always mention the same names as examples of musicians who know how to use the Net (John Taglieri, David Nevue, Pomplamoose) you might wonder if these are the only successful indie musicians Bob knows. Isn't it time for a few new names to show the world that your methods work?

It might also be a good idea if Baker would have paid specific attention to the quickly growing number of artists who do NOT play live (because they can't or don't like to) and thus, ONLY have the Net to market themselves. Despite its title, much of what is written in Guerrilla Music Marketing Online applies to people who do not only have or need a website, but also have a strong presence offline - on stage, to be more precise.

So is this a hit or miss? It depends on who you are and what you know already.
on January 4, 2016
This is a fantastic guide for all musicians looking to do their own PR, but some of the websites need to be updated (FourSquare is now Swarm, Google Buzz no longer exists) but the concepts remain the same, and they are SOLID.

Maren Montalbano, mezzo-soprano
on November 27, 2013
Some really good tips found here and some can even be applied outside of the West! Highly recommended from someone like me who is trying to start a unique movement of brass and steel pan in the Caribbean.
on October 2, 2014
I read great reviews about this book and I was very excited to buying it for 2 reasons: one because my masters thesis is on digital marketing and music and two because I thought it would add value to my already existing knowledge on the subject. The book which is fairly well structured and easy to read provides useful insights on the subject including online promotion, social media and website and how to make the most of them to promote music digitally. For newbies into the topic of Guerrilla Music Marketing Online is a nice introduction after all content should be created for people to understand it, therefore it should be simple. On that the book scores high marks, however for those actually interested in developing the their knowledge on the topic my advice would be to read about digital marketing iby reviewing the work of Dave Chaffey about E-Commerce and the online marketing mix, combine it with Kotler's Marketing Management and add music promotion to it. If, after having read Chaffey and Kotler you want to purchase this book to add to your library, then do so. Introductory books on a subject are very useful to have when one wants to keep things simple and not too complicated.
Excellent book. Loads of information, very helpful ideas and concepts. Sheds a lot of light on the workings of online music promotion. Some of these concepts have been completely unknown to me. Independant musicians should make every effort they possibly can to read this book. It's absolutely fantastic. I am applying all this great knowledge to my own music career.

Nik, founding member and guitarist in Fierce Justice
on February 15, 2014
I bought it, and am using it daily. I have followed it step by step. It is a powerful basis for getting involved in the marketing of music. I had been procrastinating for years and this book pushed me to cross the line and take action.
on April 4, 2012
It's just so hard for us indie musicians today to make even a small splash on the sea of online marketing.
We could create profiles and upload music on random websites that no one will ever view. This book has full of new ideas and tricks to dress up your ordinary marketing routines, to build stronger internet presence more effectively.

What I really like about this book is its low-budget friendly concept. Most of Bob's marketing strategies are something you can start NOW for FREE or at low-cost.

Another great point is that this book has dozens and dozens of useful web links sprinkled throughout the pages, so if you like what you read, you can go to the site to see for yourself. These links are trustworthy and active, not one of those sites that the webmaster himself haven't logged on since 2008.

Bob will open up your mind about how you approach the music marketing. His ideas will lead you to generate your own unique ways. It probably won't create another Adele out of you but will give you a fighting chance to be more successful online - while having fun doing it!

KOKO
BryanDeanTrio
on April 5, 2012
I've read a lot of books on marketing, but this is the first one I can say gave me some good ideas that I hadn't thought of. I've been an independent musican for decades and I still learned from this book. I have purchased other books by this author and always with the same result... A few ideas that were reminders of things I already knew, but a lot of original ideas that I hadn't thought of and used for future promotions.

It's very easy reading, conversational and not at all hard to digest all the information. And it's GOOD information. I've purchased several other books on the subject of music promotion and ended up getting rid of them, but I keep all of Bob Baker's books in a prominent place so i can refer to them over and over again. I don't know where he gets all his ideas but I'm happy that he shares them with the rest of us. They are useful, easy to implement, and best thing is...it works!