5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful
Published on May 23, 2007 by Eva Monplaisier

3.0 out of 5 stars Go right to the big-kid version
Yes, yes, it's a wonderful story, full of love and warm cozy feelings, and of course it brings tears to my eyes every time I read it . . . but there are too many words, not enough colors, and it's just not interesting enough for a very young child. We read several books a day in our house (sometimes several dozen), but, as patient as he is, my son just won't sit still...
Published on April 4, 2003 by tsfamily

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, May 23, 2007
That's the most beautiful book for a young child that I know of. It perfectly expresses the mother's love. I enjoy reading it every night before my daughter goes to bed. I started to read it to her over a year ago when she was only two years old, and now she can read it with me. It has created a special bond between us. I highly recommend this book to any loving mother. In addition to that I also recommend a book series titled "Why Some Cats are Rascals ( Book 3)" containing lovely and inspiring stories for older children. My other recommendations go to:
Love You Forever
The Giving Tree
Corduroy

5.0 out of 5 stars Expresses a mother's love perfectly, November 24, 1999
By A Customer
My mom bought this for me as a gift after my first son was born. I had to go back to work when he was 3 months old. She gave it to me one weekend and I sat and read it and just started crying. It was when I read that last line--I love you all the way to the moon and back--that really touched me. It made me realize how much I was missing my baby boy during the day. I also noticed that Big Nutbrown Hare waits until the little one is asleep to say the last line. That also reflects how much a parent loves a child. He would never want to outdo his baby just because he's bigger. He let Little Nutbrown Hare go to sleep thinking he won that little game. What a sweet, sweet story.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guess How Much I Love You!, May 5, 2000
By A Customer
This is my daughter and my favorite book. She is 31/2yrs. old and we enjoy reading it every night before she goes to bed. I started to read it to her a year and a half ago when she was two years old, and now she can read it to me. It has created a special bond between us. It has to be the last book we read so she can dream about hares and her mommy and how much we love each other. We often play a game about guessing how much we love each other. She will jump as high as she can or spread her sweet little arms out as wide as they will go. I just want to thank Sam McBratney for touching our lives in such a special way. Also, I would like to thank him for the wonderful memories he has provided for me and my daughter. I know I will remember it forever, I hope my daughter does as well. Thank you Sam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not competetive, May 24, 2003
By A Customer
This is a sweet, loving introduction to a familiar game that many parents have played with their child. I can't see it as being about competition. Perhaps some of the negative reviewers never played the game of "Guess how much I love you". But it was a natural part of childhood for my children. It wasn't about competition, it was about creativiity--thinking of ways of expressing love bigger than ever before. I wouldn't dream of trying to "oneup" my children. I just liked the silly answers we would come up with in playing.
To all the naysayers, the last line of the book is ALL about letting the child "win". The father waits until the child is asleep in the assurance he has come up with the unbeatable answer, "I Love you all the way to the moon!" But as he sleeps and the father looks at this bundle of miracle that has been bestowed upon him he says what he feels, "I love you all the way to the moon, and back". The child doesn't hear this. The father is just expressing a love he can't even define it's so big. That's not competetive or mean spirited, it's a wonderfully realistic portrayal of having a feeling of love so big that you know there is nothing bigger.
The pictures are great. I wouldn't go board book. This book is better for older children.
Buy it and enjoy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Appealing on many levels-a great book for toddlers., March 3, 2002
David J. Gannon (San Antonio, TX USA) - See all my reviews
There is a lot to like about this book. First of all, it has a very positive love message for fathers and sons, not all that common a theme in children's books. Secondly, the sort of "one-ups-man-ship" theme is on that naturally appeals to kids that age. The story itself is sweet without being cloying, and the illustrations are first rate.
A great book for older pre-schoolers. As has been noted in many previous reviews, reading the book seems to stimulate a "how much do you love me" game with the kids and parents who read the book a lot. Given that the desire to be loved is one key need at this age group, a book that stimulates you to talk and play with your child in a way that distinctly communicates your love for him/her has got to be a good thing.
This is one of those books your kid's will grow out of before you do-much to your sorrow.
I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very sweet book about love, September 11, 2009
I think this book is so sweet about how much a father loves his son. I am amazed at the two one-star reviews, I mean, how cynical can you get? So what if the father declares a greater love for his son (the bunny is sleeping at the time, if that makes you feel better)? It is actual very natural. As for the author's use of "sophisticated words", what word gave you trouble, thornbush or nutbrown?

5.0 out of 5 stars Sooooo Sweet, May 2, 2004
I love reading this story to my children. I bought it when I was pregnant with my first child and I cried when I read it. It is so sweet. I still tell my son (4years old) that I love him to the moon and back. He loves it! And so does my 2 year old daughter. Fabulous, sweet story for your children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still brings tears to our eyes, June 12, 2000
K. Bennett (Rolla, MO USA) - See all my reviews
In this tender story about a father putting his child to bed, Sam McBratney effectively conveys the depth of the love I feel for my own children, but am often unable to put into words. Little Nutbrown Hare wants to tell his father, Big Nutbrown Hare, just how much he loves him, but no matter what measure Little Nutbrown Hare chooses, his father always loves him more. For example, Little Nutbrown Hare loves his father as high as he can hop, but Big Nutbrown Hare loves his son as high as he can hop, and he can hop much higher. Finally, the tired little rabbit tells his father he loves him right up to the moon. Big Nutbrown Hare kisses his son good night and whispers, "I love you right up to the moon-- and back."
Anita Jeram's pen and ink and watercolor illustrations of father and son gracefully capture the love they feel for each other. She hasn't drawn the typical cute little bunnies found in many children's books; she's drawn creatures capable of expressing emotion. The expression on Little Nutbrown Hare's face as he's falling asleep is one I've seen on my own children. Her pictures also show an incredible range of movement, from stretching arms as high or as wide as possible to very gently kissing a sleeping child on the forehead.
This is one of my favorite books. It's a standard part of any "new baby" gift I give, and everyone who has received it from me tells me that they cried when they read it. I still cry.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love unlimited - a powerful message for children, March 2, 2000
. "Adelie" (Grass Valley, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
I was browsing through the children's department of my favorite local bookstore, looking for a gift, when this title caught my eye. I settled down on the floor for a read, and fell in love.
Big Nutbrown Hare is getting ready to put Little Nutbrown Hare to sleep for the night, when Little challenges him to guess how much he loves him. Little stretches his arms wide and says, "This much!" Big stretches his arms even wider and returns the love. Little keeps finding bigger and bigger ways to express his love for Big, and each time, Big outdoes him by virtue of his greater size. Finally, Little has to stop and ponder, and then triumphantly claims that his love for Big goes "all the way to the moon." That's a lot, Big concedes, and satisfied, Little settles down to sleep - and misses Big's whisper that he loves him "to the moon and back."
For children anxious about being loved, I can't think of a better story to illustrate how limitless their parents' love really is. No matter how much you love me, Big is saying, I love you that much and more. A comforting message, and one that Little can sleep on.
One of the things that makes this book unusual is that both hares are male. There is no lack of books about the love of mothers for their children, but Daddy-love is harder to find. I love the message here.
The pen and watercolor illustrations are wonderful. The animals are perfectly drawn - not cutesy, not cartoony, they are big rangy hares, with remarkably expressive faces. No cute little fluffola bunnies here...
I recommend this book as a valuable addition to your children's library.

5.0 out of 5 stars My son's first book, I read it to him even before he's born., April 26, 1999
By A Customer
Very sweet, touching and reflects the love that my baby is born with. When I was pregnant with my now 5 month old baby boy, my husband and I bought this book and every now and then I read it to him. I was deeply touch by it that I often end with tears in my eyes wishing I could cuddle him at that time. And now, we enjoy reading it together at bedtime while I feel every words, he enjoyed listening to me and looking at the cute pictures.We always ended up,together with my husband, the three of us cuddling each other. It's a perfect book for babies to begin with and also for parents to grow old with...unconditional boundless love. I love you Babes and Pumpkin pie right up to the moon and back!!

Guess How Much I Love You
Guess How Much I Love You by Sam McBratney (Board book - October 14, 2008)
$7.99 $4.54