Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq Bose SoundLink AE All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

Format: Board bookChange

on December 3, 2015
Very cute little hard book. I got the hard covered with the hard pages due to my toddler being a bit aggressive with her books. So these are durable and great for bedtime stories. I don't have to worry about paper cuts or pages being torn with these type of books. Def recommend.
review image review image
on December 12, 2010
Little Nutbrown Hare is searching for words to tell his parent how much he loves him:
"This much," said Little Nutbrown Hare, stretching out his arms as wide as they could go.

Big Nutbrown Hare "one-ups" the baby:
Big Nutbrown Hare had even longer arms. "But I love you this much," he said.

The "I love you game" goes on and on, until the little bunny gets sleepy of jumping around. But before dozing off, he finally comes up with the dearest line for his dad: "I love you right up to the moon."

Big Nutbrown Hare settles his baby into the bed of leaves, and, after the bunny is asleep, whispers:
"I love you right up to the moon - and back."

The artwork adds a perfect touch of calmness, employing pen-and-wash method of illustrations done in earthy tones. It's very suitable for the soothing tale before sleep.

"Guess How Much I Love You" is the sweetest book about parent and child openly expressing their affection to each other. It's not a book about being competitive - it's rather about solid affirmation of never-ending parent's love. There is no better way to reinforce "I love you" message, than reading this calming bed-time story. And of course, feel free to reenact this indulging game together!

Julia Shpak
Author of "Power of Plentiful Wisdom". Available on Amazon.
For more reviews on children's books visit my blog "Julia's Library" at: ForwardQuoteDOTcom
on December 9, 2008
My 1st son is well beyond the age of getting bedtime stories from Mom, but I was reading this to his little brother the other night and I glanced up and saw him sitting on the floor in the hallway listening.
Later he told me it had been his favorite story when he was little because the end where Big Nutbrown Hare tells him she loves him to "the moon and back" always made me get teary. Thats the kind of book this is, a sweet enduring tale of the all encompassing love a child and parent have for each other.
This book is the most touching testament to this devotion I have ever read..and it STILL makes me tear up at the end.
on April 4, 2009
This is the second book now that I thought was sweet and then I read the 1-star reviews to discover the appalling and corrupted adult interpretation placed on it - that it is a book about competition and that the little nutbrown hare can never 'out love' the big nutbrown hare. A small child doesn't see this as a competition of who loves more, at least not in the way an adult would. A child tries to express his or her love, and any 'trump' or 'one up' by the parent that other reviewers interpret is not felt that way by a child hearing this story but is felt as a solid affirmation of the undying love of a parent. Take the alternative outcome into consideration for a second. A small child, an attached child, always has faith that his parents love him above and beyond anything in this world, that he is the center of their world (a natural state of narcissim) but all of a sudden that child contemplates for a second that he loves his parents more than his parents love him? Let's continue to let our children feel 'out loved' if that is what the negative reviewers would call it! I can't imagine there is anything negative about that! I only give the story 4 stars by the fact that the long drawn out character names can be somewhat of a struggle to repeat over and over after a long day :)
on April 28, 2014
This book is a mouth full to read. Concept is great. But the characters names are Little Nutbrown Hare and Big Nutbrown Hare. And you say it about one hundred times.

i'm not into it. Sandra Boynton books are fun and easy on the tongue.
33 comments12 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2013
I bought this book so I can read it to my babies at bed time. As others reviewers have stated, the book is about a mother or fathers love for their child - it has no limits. There are many things that I love about this book. For instance, the story is absolutely beautiful and the illustrations are really adorable. Also, it is the right length. You will be able to finish it, even with a sleepy baby. The pages are hard, which is great because my babies love to put the book in their mouths while I read it. The book is small. I can hold it with one hand while I hold one of my babies with the other one.
By the way, my husband loves to read this book to our sons too!
I also got the jack in the box, or in this case, the hare in the box, and it is really cute.
on December 4, 2009
This is my favorite book to read to my little baby boy. As a father, I find that many of the stories involving parents are told from a mother's perspective (for example, "Where's Spot," which is also a great book). "Guess How Much I Love You" is all about a father expressing his love for his child. I absolutely love it.
on August 20, 2010
One of our favorites! It triggers fun activities such as:
I love you
-more than all the sand on the beach.
-more than all the fish in the sea.
-more than all the houses in the world.
-more than all of the windows in all the houeses in the world.

The trump card is
-more than all the hair on the dogs but.
on July 27, 2009
A simple, light story. The book has cardboard pages, easy for a young baby to turn. It's short, sweet, and a good quick bedtime story with just the right amount of sentiment.

The words are easy to follow along and have a nice quiet rhythm. (Some stories [Dr. Seuss' stories] can be too upbeat for bedtime.)
on December 26, 2008
I think this is a lovely book, with a simple, sweet story line, pretty pictures, and, best of all, a real way to connect with your child. Some of the reviewers seemed offended because they felt that the 'game' the father and son are playing in the book (seeing which one can express his love for the other best) is competive and somehow wrong. Everyone is entitled to opinion. Personally, I remember my little brother playing this game with my mother, and he loved it. It was a confirmation that Mother loved him, not a challenge from him or a sign of aggressive behavior. As children, we love to be told we are loved, and, what's more, we love to express affection, which is what this book is about.

That being said, I'm not going to say this will be your or your child's favorite book. For example, my younger brother loved this book, but my little sister never showed interest. My daughter is currently too young to understand it (she's not yet four months old), so I don't know about her yet...but I do know that I think the reviewers who were negetive about it were interpreting it incorrectly or simply forgot that every child is unique. Every child, as every parent, is different, and different books appeal to different people. But I do believe you will enjoy it, at the very least, and that your little one will probably too...go ahead an buy it! I think you'll be glad you did!