Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty forum

Guess What? The Second Third of the Game Will Be Sold As at ...Full Price!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2011 9:05:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2011 9:11:09 AM PST
NeuroSplicer says:
This part of my review had received the most aggressive criticism:
"Although priced even more than a full premium game, this is not a complete STARCRAFT sequel. You would not know this by its price-tag(!) but this is only A...THIRD of the game, the first part of three: you can only play the Terran campaign. The Zerg and the Protoss campaigns will be released independently later (and priced as if they were full games, one could safely bet)."

In order to deflect the fact that Wings of Liberty was, in fact, only the first third of STARCRAFT 2, a number of people argued that it was the entire game and the other two episodes would simply be expansions. As such they would be priced much lower than the main game - and my prediction was not to be confirmed.

I had no inside information - only the most basic knowledge of human nature.
And, it turns out, when one bets on the greed of the game industry executives, this is a bet easily won: the second third of the game is indeed priced like a full game - and a premium one at that.
Its (Pre-order, mind you) price is $60!
(http://www.amazon.com/StarCraft-II-Heart-Swarm-Pc/dp/B002I0KP4G/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1323103996&sr=1-1)

Let's see how their shills try to spin this one...

Posted on Dec 9, 2011 3:35:30 AM PST
Aesti says:
It's a placeholder price. Here's the FAQ: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/game/heart-of-the-swarm-preview/faq#q7

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:36:12 PM PDT
It's not the second third of a game. It's the second game in a trilogy.
No one whined that mass effect 2 was 60$ on launch and no one should whine about Heart of the Swarm being 60$, if it even is that price. That price is a placeholder.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 7:29:00 AM PDT
J. Butler says:
That game is $40.00 now.

Posted on May 5, 2012 8:03:35 PM PDT
I. Foster says:
That's $40 more than I had to pay to play the Zerg (or Protoss for that matter) campaign in SC. And $10 (if memory serves, maybe more) than I had to pay for SC's expansion.

In reply to an earlier post on May 8, 2012 8:41:35 AM PDT
Duhkgeorge says:
There are the same number of campaigns (or very close to) they're just not dispersed among three races. Blizzard decided to focus each release on one race this time around and make the stories a little richer. I've played the demo and the story is extremely engaging and I love what they did with single player. Now that the game price had dropped to a reasonable $45 I'll purchase.

I dislike the DRM and lack of lan/clean offline play (have to log in once a month and you're a "guest"). I suspect I'll wish the 27 some odd missions were even more, but I also really enjoy the sampling I've had of this game.

For those wondering if the game is for them, try the trial version you can down load from starcraft and then read reviews.

Posted on May 30, 2012 11:54:09 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm will retail for $39.99

StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm Expansion Pack

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 8:24:14 AM PDT
E. August says:
Well, I imagine Neurosplicer has a bit of egg on his face by now.

At any rate, I'd just like to point out that calling it a third of a game because there's only one campaign rather than three is a touch misleading. The original Starcraft had campaigns for all three races rather than just one, but those campaigns were only 9 or 10 missions long, compared with 26 missions in SC2.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 10:05:05 AM PDT
NeuroSplicer says:
You can bet the bank that the miser accountants who run ACTIVISION/BLIZZARD count on such goldfish memory-span.

$40...IS the fair price for a premium game. Not for an expansion.

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 2:05:13 AM PDT
Wow, the more I read about this game, the more I'm glad I didn't buy it (and un-convinced my team to buy it as well..)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty by Blizzard Entertainment (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / XP)
3.5 out of 5 stars (1,991)