5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Smart and Easy to read.
Published on March 21, 2005 by Clifford Lynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Guide to Becoming Rich -- Book Summary
Published on August 2, 2004 by Justin Belkin

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Guide to Becoming Rich -- Book Summary, August 2, 2004
Justin Belkin (NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rich Dad's Guide to Becoming Rich...Without Cutting Up Your Credit Cards (Paperback)
Kiyosaki wrote this book as the eighth installment of his Rich Dad Series. The book serves to constantly remind us that the key to increasing our chances of becoming wealthy requires the willingness to the pay the price. Discussing all the get rich schemes, such as game shows or playing the lottery, Kiyosaki writes, "There are better ways to become rich, with much better odds, but most people are not willing to pay the price" (x). The price to pay is the time and money you spend investing in your financial intelligence.

Kiyosaki recalls a truism once observed by Rich Dad, "The only people who think life should be easy are lazy people" (3). Kiyosaki rejects frugality as the best way toward becoming rich. Instead he recommends paying the price for higher financial intelligence, "...another way to become a millionaire is to improve your financial literacy, your financial intelligence, and be willing to be accountable to yourself, your results, your continuing education, and your personal development in becoming a better human being...that was a price I was willing to pay to become a millionaire" (81). Adopting such a mindset becomes tantamount to swimming against the current. Possessing faith and the fortitude to dedicate your life to accumulating wealth in this manner is crucial to overcome such naysayers as friends and family.

Rich Dad also observed, "One difference between a successful person and an average person is how much criticism they can take...Most people feel safer in the herd of the average" (150). Criticism tests one's resolve. You must be willing to make mistakes and to learn from them. Kiyosaki writes, "...the price of becoming rich is the willingness to make mistakes, to admit you made a mistake without blaming or justifying, and to learn" (18). A person who has risked little in life has also gained little.

The book states clearly that the path to wealth is not to cut up your credit cards and decrease your means, but to work to increase your financial intelligence so that you can increase your means by acquiring income-generating assets. This strategy holds the greatest potential for accumulating wealth, but it also requires the heaviest investment in yourself.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your time or money on this..., July 5, 2006
Erik Nielsen (Whidbey Island, WA USA) - See all my reviews
...unless you've never read any of his other books. Don't get me wrong, I can't say enough good things about Robert Kiyosaki's books. If you haven't read them (Rich Dad Poor Dad, Cashflow Quadrant, etc.), I highly recomemd that you do. But there's nothing new in this book. It just a retread of ideas already presented in his other books, and not as well. If fact, reading it felt like a advertisment for his other books and products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, Smart and Easy to read., March 21, 2005
Clifford Lynn (Mayfield Village, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This is the second book I've read by Robert Kiyosaki. (Rich Dad, Poor Dad was the other book I've read). The ideas in the book are so valuable that it amazes me when people saw me read the book they would make comments on how the author is scamming people, making money on false hopes. I asked these people, and there were quite a few, if they read any of the author's books. Of course the answer was always a 'no'. I got the book out of the library, in hopes to build ideas. How are you going to learn becoming rich if you blame the rich for several of the world problems? This kind of generalization seems quite popular and creates a stop of the potential growth people have in ever attaining financial education. Am I rich, from reading this book? Not as much as I would like to be; however, the insight I've obtained is invaluable and is worth the price of the book. I also recommend: 'Think and Grow Rich' by Napolean Hill, 'The Secret of the Rich' by Ken Roberts and 'The 7 most Important Areas of Your Life' by Dr. Erwin Jay.

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful information for those who are perceptive, December 8, 2003
By A Customer
Powerful! Powerful! Powerful.
That is the best way I can describe this book by Robert Kiyosaki. If you are tired of hearing how you have to cut up your credit cards to prevent debt then you must read this new book by RTK. It is his best ever!

1.0 out of 5 stars Read his other books..., April 6, 2004
First I'd like to say that in large Kiyosaki has some great ideas, and two of his books (the 1st rich dad poor dad and cash flow quadrant) were interesting reads. Unfortunately, this one isn't one of them. If this book was a set of new ideas or even just compilation of other works it would have been pretty good.

Sadly, this book just serves as one big advertisement of all of his other products, such as his board game, which he dedicates almost a full chapter for advertising it. There are glimmers of good information, but most of it is very vague.

To summarize, I wasn't very happy buying and reading a paperback commercial. I would recommend his other books, but I'm not sure I even have respect for the author anymore.

3.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, though more of the same, May 31, 2006
Chris Pascale (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This handbook has some key advice wrapped up in the Kiyosakian story telling his readers have become familiar with. It is a great book to start out with if you have no interest in the others, and a good book to share its debt reducing tips with friends. Simple things like, don't use ATMs that charge money. You're paying to use your own money. You're better off getting cashback, or using a check if you can.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blatant promotional vehicle, June 11, 2004
Dboy "dennboy" (San Francisco, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am in the process of listening to books on CD as my job involoves a good deal of driving. I listenend to Rich Dad / Poor Dad and was invigorated. I decided to add this book on CD to my list. I just got done with it and actually skipped many parts as i felt that it was strictly a vehicle to promote other Kiyosaki products. There were really no new ideas in this book. Don't waste your time or money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing but facts and more facts and more facts, November 25, 2003
and more facts and more facts. Well you get the picture. No matter what Kiyosaki writes, his basher will write some trash about it. Facts are in Kiyosaki wins again. That Kiyosaki basher loses again and again and again and again. Well you get the picture.
If you really think that cutting up your credit cards is the answer to wealth, then I suppose you believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look this book (and cash flow too!), November 27, 2003
Lisa Benefield (Lisbon, Portugal (European Continent)) - See all my reviews
While some of the information in here is similiar to Kiyosaki's other books, much is also new and in particular, Kiyosaki beats to death that you DO NOT HAVE TO CUT UP YOUR CREDIT CARDS to become wealthy as some other financial authors do.
Regarding the negative reviewer: Be aware that people like Kioyosaki who are extraordinanily successful draw critics and jealousy. I once believed the critics too and it cost me at leat 2 years and untold thoudands, probably tens of thousands of dollars had I not listened to the basher. Like many people, I thought this was all "too good to be true" untill I talked to a few Kiyosaki students and tried it myself.
I also did some investigating myself and found that the basher is tied in with websites, other products and financial authors and attempts to hawk his own books via the self-publishing route. Get the picture?
The cash flow game is another powerful tool. Comparing it to monopoly is like comparing a used dodge compact to a dodge viper. (By the way, I really enjoyed playing monopoly as a kid)
One person told me that the reason some people attack this game is because they try to use a "college mentality" to win and it doesn't work. I failed miserably the first time I tried it. Made me realize how much I need to know. Then I went out and bought "RICH DAD POOR DAD", "RICH DAD SUCCESS STORIES" and just added this one.
Although I am certain that Kiyosaki's attacker will continue, please don't let that stop you from reaching financial success.

5.0 out of 5 stars inspirational and down-to-earth, August 11, 2009
I have read first five of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" series and liked them all. This one is short and concise summarizing key points of all his previous books, but he shared a few personal experiences I have not read about in his other books.

I personally found this short title inspiring and motivational. He discussed timeless principles of making change in life (paying the price, change pyramid, etc.), concept of good and bad debt, and ways to eliminate bad debt.

He offers almost a complete system of getting financially educated, upgrading your mindset, and building wealth. But as he said that all the right answers you got from books or schools will not change you unless you are willing to change and pay the price - the price is to take personal accountability, act on what you learned, make mistakes, fail, learn from it and do it again...

Following a similar debt reduction plan in this book I have paid off all my debt including my mortgages. Now I am debt free and save up 20k per year to invest by myself in addition to my 401k.

I strongly recommend this book to anyone who is struggling financially, so you could review it often during your transition, and you can also use it as a reference to teach your children about financial matters and help them acquire a wealth mindset.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xd998f268)

Rich Dad's Guide to Becoming Rich...Without Cutting Up Your Credit Cards
Rich Dad's Guide to Becoming Rich...Without Cutting Up Your Credit Cards by Robert T. Kiyosaki (Paperback - December 1, 2003)
Used & New from: $0.01