Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 19, 2000
Having bought and looked at a number of different books to help me with fitting pants/slacks, including those by Palmer/Pletsch, Gale Griggs and others, I kinda gave up. I needed a guide in plain English, easy to use, and not overwhelming. In other words, a tool I would use. I picked up this book, "Easy Guide to Sewing Pants," at the library just because it was there. After reading and using it, I am greatly impressed! Have tried fitting my first pair of pants for my mother and they were perfect! Fit, ease, grain, hang of legs were absolutely perfect. This book purchase is a definite boon to my sewing library. I highly recommend this book to all of us who wish to learn more about the art of fitting slacks/pants.
22 comments|93 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 18, 2002
The "Easy Guide to Sewing Pants" is the only book you will ever need to have a great pair of pants that truly fits you perfectly. I had tried many different approaches over the years but never achieved the fit I needed until I bought this book. Ms. MacIntyre's diagrams for fitting problem areas are clear, easy- to-follow; and best of all, they work! Her step-by-step instructions on how to make design changes to your basic pattern will give you many different looks with having to go through the fitting process again. I was so excited when I made a style change to my pattern and didn't have to worry about whether they would fit. No more frustration!! If that's not enough, I also found Ms. MacIntyre's construction techniques to be absolutely the best and gave me very professional results. The "Easy Guide to Sewing Pants" is a "must" for any sewer's library.
on June 3, 2001
For fitting and making pants, I have found the "Easy Guide to Sewing Pants" an invaluable source. The book delivers a goldmine of information that really works. Ms. MacIntyre's meticulously thorough instructions are presented in clear, concise easy-to-grasp prose that I found a constant source of pleasure when I need to search for answers. This classy book sets high standards and is a cherished addition to my sewing library.
on November 19, 2005
After not sewing for about 15 years, I decided it was time to make some nice pants. My body had changed and I had difficulty identifying the myriad fitting problems. What a disaster!!!! Of course, I had invested hundreds of dollars in wonderful material and there it sat. I bought this book and went to work. This lady knows her stuff. My pants are fab and I finally understand how to fit pants to my body. I encourage any sewer at any level of accomplishment to get this wonderful book. The language is clear, the drawings and photographs are explicit and specific and address the process of making pants in a modern way. Lynn, wherever you are, thanks for a great book.
on February 8, 2007
This book may be thin in size but it is MIGHTY in the information contained. I'd taken a leave of absence from sewing and changed shapes in the meantime - older patterns didn't fit anymore. With the help of this book, I'm back in business AND have learned all kinds of things I wish I had learned years ago. Can't say enough good things about this very easy to understand, logically presented book. Way to go Lynn.
on April 23, 2013
The Sewing Companion Library should be in everyones shelves. This set of how to books are invaluable and the EASY GUIDE TO SEWING LININGS is running at $100!!! Which is just stupid. I bought it as a download for $11, just keep looking on line.

But, with that said, I think I bought 9 out of the 10 books available and if you get them used you can get tham all for about $100 at most, which is well worth the money.

These books are great for the beginner to internediate sewer with lost of helpful information. I got back into sewing after decades of being away from a sewing machine and find myself using these all the time.
on August 3, 2013
The book has a fairly thorough set of instructions for adjusting store bought sewing patterns for pants based upon variations in waist size, hip width, etc. The text is illustrated with photographs. While the style of some of the pants may be a little are out of date, that is less an issue than one might imagine since the fundamentals of sewing endure. (Were the pants with a tall elastic gathered waistband and wide legs fashionable in 1998 when the book was published?) The sewing instructions begin with cutting directions and conclude with hemming options. If one were a beginner this might be very useful.
on May 24, 2014
This book has the elusive PBA for those of us with generously sized, high umm seats. This book should be a classic in every garment sewist's library. I like the book so well for its alterations and sewing guides, that I bought this copy for the electronic format. How much higher can a book be rated than saying: I need both hard and electronic formats.
on September 9, 2012
Love the book. It is full of photos and explainations which simplify fitting pants to any body type. I have already altered a pattern. Without the book, I would have struggled and probably got it wrong.
on March 17, 2007
If you are looking for a book that will tell you everything you want to know about making the perfect pants with good diagrams as well, this is it. I can't think of a single situation that it doesn't cover.