Industrial Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon David Bowie egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Shop Now HTL

Format: PaperbackChange

on October 22, 2002
I have read this book several times and highly reccomend this book to any one who buys a parrot. The information is wonderful and easy to understand, the book makes it fun to work with your compainon in alot of areas. I am co-owner of a pet store and I always reccomend this book to any one who buy a parrot from me. Any time I get "help!!" calls I invite them to come and buy this book. My customers give me good feedback and it brings my customer back because of the trust they feel from the information they receive.
on March 1, 2002
As a pround owner of two parrots it is important to know how to treat your avian friends well. Since parrots ARE intellegent creatures and have abilities such as the well-known mimicing trick it is also important to understand bird behavior and how a bird thinks.
Basically I use this book as a guide. If I see my birds fighting for attention (*which happens a lot*) I look in the book for what to do, why they do it and how to make it stop since mostly everything from the pinpointing of the eyes (*when the bird's eye gets smaller/larger*) to the bird fluffing up (*meaning its happy*)-all is described in good detail too!
So, what else does this book have? Bird owner humor and stories as well as instructions to devestating times like if your bird decides he/she had enough and flys away.
The only downside is that the book does not go in-depth with bird types. Instead the book focuses on the main grouping like Amazons, Macaws, Conures, Budgies, and Parakeets (*which are not budgies btw!!*), etc. So if I needed information on my Sun Conure this book will only talk about conures in general requiring you to look to another more specific book.
However away from that one flaw this book is great for general types of behavior that apply to all birds. Whats also great is how this book also serves as a guide to raise a well-behaved (*as the title implies*), unspoiled bird.
Does it work? Well... my Amazon which when we got was wild and scared of me(*and very violent*) is now so trusting and even comes out of her cage to look for me. (*as taught in the book*). So yes, following this book can help and it can also help the bird too with a great diet, hygine, and behavior.
-aiight da Umbral Templar is signin out.
on June 22, 1998
In less than four years, I have spoken with over 500 companion parrot owners that keep "Guide To A Well Behaved Parrot" close by. Many of the copies are smudged with coffie stains, bird droppings, and bite marks. Some are so wrinkled and swolen from repeated use so that they are barely ledgable. Considering the publication date, it is my opinion that Mattie Sue Athan was way ahead of her time. And ours. In her most recent books, "Guide To The Quaker Parrot," and "Guide To The Senegal Parrot And It's Family", it becomes apparent that Ms. Athan is an expert Behaviorist and Author who is not only keeping up with, but staying ahead when it comes to writing about companion parrots. I read "Guide To A Well Behaved Parrot" shortly after I purchased my first bird. There was nothing on the market that gave even the first clue on living with parrots in the real world. I had a shy Timneh African Grey who would not come out of her cage. Two weeks of practicing some of the suggestions made in this book, and I had an outgoing, adorable little bird. Any book read eleven years after publication will have some outdated information that ultimately will be taken out of context by those that have crowned themselves *The Experts* in the field of avian behavior. I sell many copies daily as even novice owners have a great deal of succes with Ms. Athan's advice. The book is easy and fun to read. It follows many basic, need to know guidelines to living with a parrot. My favorite chapter is Passive Games to Play With Your Parrot. I love the way this author captures the reader's attention from the preface, and carries them right through. If learning is made fun, it becomes much more easy to retain. I am constantly amazed at how many times I catch myself using the treasures that I found in "Guide To A Well Behaved Parrot." My own successful behavioral practice was launched by the workings of this book. I continually refer back to it for tidbits of information. The photographers! weren't as deetail oriented as they could have been, but in publishing, many things are beyond your control once the manuscript and the contract leave the hands of the author. I also would not drop a hanfed bird to the floor or put one in the bathtub. However, had it been eleven years ago, and a wild caught parrot latched onto my finger, I would most certainly drop the bird. How could you not? Wild caught parrots are not nearly as reasonable as the loving handfed babys we live with today. There are many tips and pointers in this book that still apply to even the novice owner. Ms. Athan defines Companion Parrot Behavior so that the most novice beginners gain insight that ultimately will help them communicate better with their new pet. To this day, crowds will flock to a book signing with their crinkled eleven year old paperbacks. This book has helped thousands and continues to do so. There are not many paperback non-fiction books that hold their shelf life as long as this one has. I would highly reccomend "Guide To The Well Behaved Parrot" to any novice owner. I truly feel that this is a work of art for rhe avian community. A revised addition is expected to hit the book stores, and I for one cannot wait to see what Ms. Athan has in store for us. I am sure it will be another welcome addition to my stack of collectable reference books. With all of the new books coming on so fast, we will all need a special book holder for this wonderful series. So, don't miss out on Mattie Sue Athan's first of a series. One of many to come. My copy of GTAWBP lives on my nightstand!
VINE VOICEon October 2, 2001
This book is basics. It is down-to-earth how to fix the problems before they become problems. And if you rehome a bird, then it gives you some fabulous information on how to overcome old habits. I have many birds, some rehomed and some not, and I use this book for all of them.
on September 7, 2008
I think this could be a useful book for someone new to parrots. For me, much of the information was rather basic and much of it readily available online. Some of the writing was a bit awkward but it was mostly easy to read and understand (to me).
I did notice a negative review in which the reviewer seemed to have misinterpreted some of the information provided in the book. To help clarify, when the author suggests 'dropping' a biting bird, it is meant that you drop your hand very slightly, an inch or so, to throw a bird off balance very slightly. You do not literally drop the bird. And when the author suggests pulling a tail feather when a bird bites, again the intention is just to very gently brush the tail feather or perhaps pull very slightly, simply enough to distract the bird, and not to pull enough to cause discomfort, certainly not to pull the feather out.
on May 13, 2006
OK, the majority of reviews of this book are excellent with a few really bad ones but here's the deal.

and will do far more in creating an understanding of your birds behavior. I highly recommend this book, not just for current owners at the end of their rope, but for anyone CONSIDERING the purchase of any companion bird, (not just the big ones). I think it's also worth noting that you wouldn't expect a single book to figure out and repair your relationships with other humans. This book may give you insight and direction but there may come a time when there is no substitute for true professional help.
on November 13, 2006
This book really assists one in learning the behavior traits and needs of parrots... which in turn assists in providing your bird with a happy, healthy lifestyle.

As a matter of behavior development, you will learn by reading instead of not knowing or by the school of hard knocks. Interesting reading per say, especially the detailing of "body movements/actions" and what they mean.

I feel this book would be extremely helpful is you are obtaining a re-homed bird. This book does not really detail the traits of a single breed of parrots, but the parrot family as a whole.
on August 8, 2004
I must say I had high expectations, in part, based on the other book reviews (mostly favourable). The goo-goo ga-ga remind me of some movie reviewers who have yet to see a bad movie. If you want to get substantive knowledge about parrot behavior that can aid with your parrot(s), then this book is not it. This book is a rambling treatise ridden with generalities and few exercisable action items nor insights. The gist of the book, with careful annotation and qualifications, can be explicated in 1-2 pages. The author, by all indication, seems to be an expert parrot counselor who has significant experience and success solving "parrot problems." Regrettably, that knowledge does not translate in this book. There seems to be a more recent book by the author I will buy and take a look. I believe in giving a second chance. A third chance is another matter.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 17, 2006
This book is a must for anyone who has recently purchased their first companion bird. It is clear, concise, and practical. It will teach you why the problem behavious occur, and how to stop or (better) to prevent them.

That said, there is not really any new ground covered here. All the advise in this book can be found in other books, and online.

Why do I reccommend it so highly, then?

Because it's layed out in a way that flows naturally, reads easily, and will teach that new parrot owner everything they need to know without needless searching and wading through useless information.

Nothing in this book is difficult or overly expensive to do, either. All said and done, this is the book that anyone with little parrot experience who either owns, or wants to own, needs to purchase. Yes, there are more in-depth, more thorough, and more groundbreaking books out there.

Yes, if you've owned parrots for years, or read a thousand parrot books, this will be a little 'elementary school' for you.

But in my opinion this is the best 'basic' parrot behaviour book out there--this is the book most likely to help you if you've got one parrot, with little access to anyone with a lot of parrot knowledge.

I've read most of the behavioral books out there, and this is the one I most reccommend for new/inexperienced/or one bird owners, hands down.
on February 21, 2004
I realize now all the weird things he does are pretty normal behavior. Most helpful were the references to wild parrots, and how their natural behavior regarding predators, parrot group social behavior, ect. show up in a 'pet' parrot. I would have liked a little guidance on feeding. I may be feeding my little guy too many sweets or not enough vegetables. Also, they could have included more info on the details of cage cleaning. For us beginners these things are important. After two weeks of parrot ownership, (if you can call it that), I realize research, especially before purchase, and also after, is key. I was lucky to get my especially good-tempered little friend. (Well, he has insane fits, but for a parrot, he is good-tempered...)
UPDATE: Now it's 2009, April, and sweet little Lucky is tearing down curtains, chewing the mouldings, and eating the wallpaper, but I wouldn't have him any other way. But I appreciate all the helpful advice I got from books in those early days! Although I still have the book I can't claim "Well-Behaved" status though. ;)