Published on December 27, 2008 by James N Simpson

1.0 out of 5 stars Motion Sickness
I've read several of the Blanco County series books and generally enjoyed them. However, with this one, I found that I've reached my tolerance point.

Published 20 months ago by Steven M. Schmidt

5.0 out of 5 stars If You're Going on a Trip and Needing Something to Read on the Plane/Train, Rehder is a Brilliant Guilt Free Decision!, December 27, 2008
James N Simpson (Gold Coast, QLD Australia) - See all my reviews
Guilt Trip although still another Blanco County Texas set novel with game warden John Marlin, breaks new ground for this successful series in that part of the storyline leaves Texas and is set in Florida, which is where a lot of writers which Rehder's work is compared to, such as Carl Hiaasen, Dave Barry and Tim Dorsey set their novels. Don't worry Marlin doesn't become a coastguard officer or anything, he in fact never leaves Blanco County, but a few of the central to this storyline characters do flee there in a stolen corvette. I like this aspect as it shows us that when Rehder one day chooses to, he will have no problem writing a standalone storyline novel set wherever he wants to that is just as good as this series.

Basic plot of this one - A politician has received some photographs involving himself, his hot young secretary, a whip and a giant nappy. He is being blackmailed to pass a bill banning high fencing around properties which stop the migration of wildlife who cannot jump them, especially large trophy bucks. Of course being a corrupt individual he has been in the pockets of many rich landowners who quite like these large fences as they can selectively weed out smaller game and keep the big boys for the rich city slickers prepared to pay the big dollars to blow one away and hang its head on their walls. So some seedy characters who are good at persuading people to "do the right" thing are brought in to find the blackmailer. Meanwhile one of those pro high fence rich ranch owners has disappeared, his SUV found floating in the river, a lot of charity money he was responsible for as well as the prize, a brand new red corvette are also missing. Since one of Marlin's closest friends is very vocal about high fences being banned he is immediately a suspect for both the police and the dimwitted seedy characters after the blackmailer.

If you loved and have read all this series also check out the author C.J. Box and his Joe Pickett adventures which also follow a game warden based near a hunting culture small town filled with eccentric red necks, corrupt officials and other fun characters, his books are set in Wyoming. Open Seasonis the first novel in that great series, check it out!

It is important to note if this is a book you've just randomly come across, that you do not need to have read the first novel in the series Buck Fever, the second Bone Dry or third Flat Crazy to enjoy or follow the storyline of this novel. It also does not give away and key plot pieces of those former novels. Other than a reoccurring main character, game warden John Marlin, as well as other eccentric county residents who appear in each novel such as local redneck Billy Don and his friend Red, this series of fun adventures set in Blanco County Texas can be read in any order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Layers of Intrigue, July 30, 2012
I almost didn't read this book, it started out slow and I was put-off by the cheesy writing in the beginning, but I am glad I stuck with it. The writing got better and the story had so many layers, stories upon stories, really that kept you trying to figure out what they all had to do with the story and just how they all tied together, and even when you thought you knew, turns out you weren't entirely correct after all. I liked the characters, all of them, and loved how the writer, Ben Rehder, tied all the story lines together in the end. Quite a fun read, I didn't want to put it down. I will sure watch for another Blanco County mystery again!

1.0 out of 5 stars Motion Sickness, March 26, 2013

Switching points of view (POV) is a literary device used to generate suspense and advance multiple plot lines. This can be done brilliantly - my earliest recollection of the technique was The Lord of the Rings. However, Rehder is no Tolkien. With this work, he takes the concept to an extreme. He switches POV every 2 pages - and I'm not exaggerating. This constant switching of perspective left me with a bad case of motion sickness, akin to riding the Octopus ride for too long at the county fair. About halfway through, I stopped caring what was going to happen next and gave up - both times I tried reading this. Sorry, Ben, you lost me!

5.0 out of 5 stars The saga continues!, September 23, 2005
It has been interesting to witness the author hone his skills and develope his identity through his continued efforts. "Guilt Trip" is by fall the best yet, he has managed to bring his stroy to life through the story-lines. I drive Highway 281 often and he captures the true sense of the people and places in this beautiful part of Texas. The author does a good job of misdirection and clue compounding in the vastly entertaining story. He has added depth to the main characters and introduced several new and colorful characters to keep the story line interesting. I can hardly wait for the next book to see how Marlin does with his new flame...

4.0 out of 5 stars Quirky and Fun, May 24, 2012
Ben Rehder has done it again, written a great mystery filled with quirky characters that make you laugh! After years of reading serious mysteries, this series is a refreshing change.

2.0 out of 5 stars Dullest First Half of a Book I've read in years, September 6, 2007
There are a lot of books about the Blanco County Game Warden who is the hero of this book so someone must like them. The first half was just terrible. I only kept reading because I try to finish all books, no matter how dull. In the second half of the book the focus shifts from the game warden and his even duller rural county law enforcement buddies and looks at the bad guys. That part is interesting, there just isn't enough of it to save the book. It is way too late for that. Also the big tough game warden turns into Beaver Cleaver at the 8th grade dance when faced with the pretty, competent, smart, insightful, brave, strong, female deputy. I guess the author had his eye on a screenplay and wanted to make sure there was a strong, central female character. He just went a little overboard. Like every single "thriller" written in the last ten years the cover blurbs say it's funny and fun. Believe me it is neither.

1.0 out of 5 stars Like watching a ping pong match, July 24, 2012
I've never seen a book that bounced around with the story line so much. Murder, extortion, con men, dog psychics, car theft. 30% of the way through the book and I still wasn't sure what the story line was and by the end, wished I'd never invested the time in reading it. While the writing and editing is first rate, it has little to no excitement and is extremely hard to follow. Glad I got it while it was on the free list, would hate to have paid even a dollar for this. I guess fans of Ben Rehder expect and enjoy this kind of style based on the positive reviews here but there are much, much better writers out there who write about the exact some geographical location.

3.0 out of 5 stars Guilt Trip, May 7, 2012
Kerrie Marquart (Auburn, New York) - See all my reviews
Good read with fear and anticipation. Don't want to give away the plot and the only reason I gave it 3 stars is because the language was explicit but that is just my preferences. Enjoyed it on my new Kindle also purchased at Amazon and I am very satisfied!

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed this easy read, January 29, 2014
We have enjoyed all of the Blanco County series. Entertaining, fast reads that I have suggested to my teenage grandsons.

2.0 out of 5 stars very disappointing, May 24, 2013
I have read all of Mr. Rehder's earlier work and enjoyed them. But this story was just plain stupid, and boring.

Guilt Trip: Blanco County Mysteries
Guilt Trip: Blanco County Mysteries by Ben Rehder (Paperback - November 28, 2011)
$11.99 $10.75