5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW: GUNINESS WORLD RECORDS 2010
GREAT BOOK THAT ARRIVED RIGHT ON TIME. THIS WAS A GIFT FOR AN 10 YEAR OLD WHO HAS NOW BECOME THE "FAMILY QUIZ-MASTER".

THE PHOTOS ARE BEAUTIFUL, AND, THERE IS SOMETHING IN THERE FOR ANYONE OR ANY AGE.

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AS A GIFT, OR FOR YOURSELF.
Published on October 22, 2009 by JUDY

2.0 out of 5 stars Fancy looking
Pretty flashy cover not as much as I thought it would be. Not in "almanac" format.
Published on July 24, 2010 by Treespiker

5.0 out of 5 stars REVIEW: GUNINESS WORLD RECORDS 2010, October 22, 2009
JUDY "JUDY" (ORANGE COUNTY ,CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Guinness World Records 2010: The Book of the Decade (Hardcover)

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AS A GIFT, OR FOR YOURSELF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another entry in this fascinating annual series!, November 20, 2009
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Each year, I eagerly await the arrival of the updated "Guinness World Records." Indeed, it seems to get a bit wilder each year, as new (and sometimes wacky) records are reported. The rules as to what qualifies as a record are laid out (as they are each year). The fun begins even just by randomly leafing through pages (my favorite way of perusing these volumes).

The first page begins with "Firsts," such as the first cloned animal (Remember her name? Dolly!); the first in-flight movie (in 1925); the first e-mail; and so on. Some random entries. . . Pages 36-37: the most productive copper mine; the highest active volcano; the longest column of ants (a 328 foot long procession of army ants); the narrowest country. Pages 52-53: the newest Iguana; the most endangered reptile; the largest snake of all time.

But it's really the human achievements, I think, that intrigue most people. Among these (pages 76 and following): the farthest washing machine throw by an individual (a hair over 11 feet); heaviest vehicle pulled by hair (count me out in trying to match this feat!); longest waterfall descent in a canoe; greatest distance covered in a pedal-powered boat; circumnavigation of the globe on a bicycle).

The volume is organized by a number of overarching categories--Space, Planet Earth, Animal Planet, The Body, Human Achievements, Travelers' Tales, Gazetteer, Modern World, Engineering & Technology, Art & Media, and Sports.

A couple examples from a few of these categories to add some flavor. Engineering & Technology: tallest structure, first manned hydrogen-powered aircraft, largest machine ever built, highest capacity chicken manure station (on page 185; this isn't a joke!). Art & Media: fastest-selling download single; most effects shots in a movie; first film with digital water ("Antz"). Sports: Highest pole vault (female), most beach handball championships (female), most centuries in a test series (cricket; I'm clueless), fastest shot in NHL history (hockey), fastest 100 meter dash (male), and so on.

So, the preceding examples give a sense of the book for those who have never looked at it. For those who have? You'll know what you're getting. This won't be for everyone, but for those who like real records and quirky records alike, this is hours of amusement (and amazement).

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for tweens, October 20, 2009
My 9 year old came home with a book order form from Scholastic and really, really, really, wanted the Guinness 2010 and the price was $[...]! I said "ya know I will" and then she finished my sentence with "check online to get a better price". I so love that kid and all my kids because they know that if you shop around online you can ALWAYS get it cheaper. I have 2 stores one on eBay and a non-eBay and I can dig a bargain out of anything. She just got it (and before the book order other item she ordered) and we almost had to take the book away to get her to bed. I love it when reading is so fun and they get excited to read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for pre-teen..., January 17, 2010
I needed a gift for my nephew whose at that tween stage that can be difficult to buy for. He absolutely loved it- he dived into the book right a way & started reciting facts. I knew when I saw the book it was perfect for him & it had tons of colored pictures. The only drawl back to this book is the order in which the facts are presented- they are all random, there is no glossary, and no natural order. It actually drove me & all of the adults kinda crazy. There is no way to look up something specific without going through every page- and there are a ton of pages, but perhaps this is a generational thing, because my nephew didn't seem to mind in the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guiness Book goes way above expectations!!!!, December 19, 2009
Michael J. Turner (Fond du Lac, Wisconsin United States) - See all my reviews
Very Very Happy I ordered this book! Not the same book I remember as a kid!!! Remember the paper back version way back in the 70's 80's all in black and white?!?!? Nice hard cover and gorgeous color pictures! I got it for my daughter for a birthday present and she can't put it down! Thank you Amazon.com for an awsome price as well! And thanks Guiness Books for giving your fans (Old and New) a very nice book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Guinness record, November 5, 2009
I bought several copies of this book because I was in it. I had a very small section w/ my group of people but I was there. I wanted to give copies to all my relatives. I've always loved the Guinness World Record book and this one was just as "Super" as ever. It is so much fun to look thru and the pictures are really awesome. There are little surprises here & there also, like what record was made on each day of the year & what year at the bottom. There is something for everyone to be interested in. As soon as I showed everyone my picture, they were flipping thru it to see other things.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing book, August 7, 2010
I loved the guinness bokk of world records so much! I loved the page for all the records that have not been broken in a long time. I like all the colored pictures. Some of them are super cool. If you buy this book Ihope you enjoy it as much as I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guinness Book of World Records 2010, March 8, 2010
A Kid's Review
This book has a lot of interesting facts. It also has a lot of boring facts (mostly the sports section). And last, but not least, it has many disturbing or disgusting facts. I personally like the disturbing facts, but if you do not like gross things, do not get this book. Most of the gross facts are either in The Body section or the Human Achievments section. The vast majority of these facts are interesting such as the first video watch phone or the farthest distance flown with a rocket belt (page 190-191). The best facts are usually in the Modern World section or the Engineering and Technology section. There are so many disturbing facts (with pictures too!) that I would not reccommend this for ages 7 and below. Overall there are many good things, and many bad things about this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Granddaughter loves these books!!, December 15, 2013
My granddaughter (11 years) just loves these books filled with amazing facts. Reading these books exposes her to all different cultures and places. We read it armed with a globe of the world and a laptop nearby to look up additional information if so desired. She brings them in the car with her on long rides and they entertain her and her brother. Can't beat that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gross, weird, strange, interesting and cool, March 16, 2010
My 9 year old son wanted this book because he saw it at the school book fair.
School sold out immediately so I searched Amazon and got a way better deal on it.
Tons of weird, strange pictures. My son said it was " awesome".
The hard back is a good quality investment. Some pics may be too graphic for 5 and younger.

Guinness World Records 2010: The Book of the Decade
Guinness World Records 2010: The Book of the Decade by Guinness World Records (Hardcover - September 15, 2009)
Used & New from: $0.01