5.0 out of 5 stars My first Guiness World Records!
I have seen the Guiness Book of World Records over the years, and had gone though them while at my family or friend's homes. I must say that with this being my first personal copy, I'm not disappointed. And now I can browse through the records on my own time.

Published on October 29, 2010 by John D.

1.0 out of 5 stars They ruined this book
I had the GBWR 1984 as a kid and used to look up records all the time. Based on my experience I decided to get the current GBWR for my kids. Boy what a mistake! I have 2 basic complaints.

Published on December 4, 2010 by Elisha Fig

1.0 out of 5 stars They ruined this book, December 4, 2010

Number one, the format. This used to be a reference book, kinda like a dictionary. The new version looks like it was designed and laid out by somebody with serious ADHD and an espresso drip. I think they must have cut more than half of the records out to make room for the spinning artwork.

Number two, the propaganda and fun-facts. I wanted my kids to be able to enjoy looking up who the tallest man is, or who can run the fastest, instead there are all of these little "did you know" blurbs about how people are destroying the Earth, and general facts about the founding of the U.N. and UNICEF. Why is this material in a book about world records? Nuclear energy isn't listed in the section devoted to alternative energy? Who owns this publishing company,...George Soros?

I am severely disappointed. At least I can still get a copy of the older versions, the versions which are about, you know, world records. I just ordered the 1994 version, which is the last year before the reference book became a comic book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first Guiness World Records!, October 29, 2010

Even though the book is not as thick as the older editions, it's still packed with ALOT of information more than you can believe for a book that's about 1.5 inches thick from cover to cover (hardcover)

The quality of the pages is good and the print quality and layout is not bad either. At the bottom of each page there are records from around the world in small snippets, so when you're done going through the book, you can go though the snippets at the bottom.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase and I'm looking forward to the 2012 Edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for my 9-year-old daughter!, November 1, 2010
A. Cates (Los angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
My 9 year old asked for it this as soon as it was released. I bought her the 2010 edition last year for Christmas and the pages are completely worn out from reading it over and over. I have a feeling she will be asking for this every year to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than negative reviews would have you believe, January 5, 2011
As a child, i had a dog-eared copy or two of the classically formatted Guiness book; i.e., black-and-white photos only, carefully indexed and organized. I loved these books and feared, based on the negative reviews, that the new editions would be dumbed down eye candy versions capitulating to negative internet era influences of instant glance gratification philosophy of marketing that has influenced other classic media, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Well, the verdict is in: the new gorgeous full color photo on ever page with photos collaged literally from corner to corner absolutely IS a dumbed down eye candy version, shamelessly capitulating to internet era influences of instant glance gratification philosophy of marketing. HOWEVER, it it STILL a great book, chock full of many and vastly varying records, along with facts relating to those records, and in its ability to be cracked open at any time for any amount of time and immediately provide interesting, shocking, delighting, bewildering, disturbing facts and accomplishments from every corner of the planet covering every element of human existence still stands as both great entertainment value, and provides history, science, politics, sports, and entertainment information along side the records in easily immediately digestible portions, appropriate for a wide range of ages. I bought it for my eight year old son, for instance. As far as the actual contant comparison, it would be interesting is someone were to provide a comparison of a fact or record count comparing the new version to the classic versions of the eighties-nineties.

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible Format, October 14, 2010
Bachguy (Cleveland, New Mexico, US) - See all my reviews
This is a very pretty book, with lots of pictures; in fact, far too many pictures and photos instead of facts. Its pages look like comic book pages (I almost expected BAM, POW and BOOM to appear). The pages are confusing, distracting and disjointed, and its index is quite incomplete and useless. Just try to look up a specific record, like "the oldest continuously inhabited city in the world." Good luck! Normally, a picture is said to be worth a thousand words, but, with this edition, the opposite is true. Guiness sacrificed content and ease of use for "flash." I prefer the older editions, where you could look up a very specific record, read it, and say "wow." This book tries to say "wow" for you. Very disappointing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guiness World Records 2011, February 6, 2011
I purchased 2 of these as Christmas gifts for 2 of my 9 yr old grandchildren, a boy and a girl. They were both very excited as soon as they opened the package, and stopped to read some of the pages, even though they had more gifts to open. The pages are beautifully photographed or illustrated...very colorful. Even though this book is recommended for age 12 and above, The 2 9 yr. olds who received this as a gift are very smart in school and read above grade level. It was an excellent choice for both of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Loaded With Incredible Photos, January 5, 2011
Got this for my 11 yr. old son for Christmas after he saw it at a local wholesale club. It was a better price on Amazon. The book is loaded with fascinating feats and amazing pictures to back up the stories. He can't put the book down, and my husband and I love it too. This high-interest book is great for those "resistant" readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy every year., December 28, 2010
Great book. We buy one every year for my sons. This is one gift they look forward to getting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun--as always!, November 25, 2010
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I look forward to this annual update each year. There are a lot of goofy records here, but also some interesting tidbits as well.

This volume begins with "Fire" as a category. Here, we read of the largest gathering of fire breathers ever (269 people got together at Eindhoven in the Netherlands); we see the largest flaming image using candles (the image depicted the logo of the Sandoz company [Pakistan]); most people burned at the stake (133 witches were burned on one day in 1859 near Leipzig, Germany).

Randomly turning pages yields other records:

Oceans and seas--Oldest seawater (the water at the bottom of the 12,000 foot Canada Basin has been unstirred for several thousands of years); the warmest ocean (Indian Ocean); Newest forming ocean (the Afar Depression in Ethiopia).

Insects and arachnids--Largest spider (a male bird-eating spider, with an 11 inch long span--ugh!); largest beetle (a beetle from Africa, coming in at 3.5 ounces [doesn't seem that bad to me]); hardiest beetle (1,547 were living in a bottle stoppered for 12 years).

Human society--Most dangerous country in which to be born (Afghanistan, featuring such negatives as unbelievably high infant mortality rates [257 deaths per 1,000 live births]).

3D cinema--first full-length 3D movies (in 1953, French, Indian, and Japanese 3D movies were released); most expensive 3D movie (A Christmas Carol, released in 2009).

Roller coasters--Fastest (Ring Racer at Nurburgring in Germany at 134.8 mph); Most expensive (Expedition Everest, for $100,000,000); tallest (Kingda Ka at Six Flags Adventure in New Jersey--456 feet high; it6's also the second fastest roller coaster).

Baseball--Most runs batted in a World Series game (Hideo Matsui, 6 for the Yankees in 2009, tying Bobby Richardson); most games played at shortstop (Omar Vizquel, 2681); most postseason wins by a manager (Joe Torre, 84 wins).

Water sports--Largest race (13,755 participants swam the 2009 Midmar Mile in South Africa); Oldest Olympic canoeing medalist (Josefa Idem of Italy at nearly 44 years of age).

Another year, another set of wacko records! As always great fun. . . .

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Knowledge book, October 30, 2010
Saw someone with the 2010 book and decided I would buy 1 for myself and 1 for my son for Christmas.Actually, the 2011 book was cheaper than the 2010 book. Makes a great gift for some one who you don't know what to give them.I know he will be happy with this book.

Guinness World Records 2011 (Guinness Book of Records (Mass Market))
Guinness World Records 2011 (Guinness Book of Records (Mass Market)) by Craig Glenday (Mass Market Paperback - April 26, 2011)
Used & New from: $0.01