Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock - Xbox 360
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Platform: Xbox 360|Edition: Game only|Change

on November 1, 2007
Guitar Hero 3 (GH3) is the fourth iteration in this series of games despite it being labeled the third, though for most people the 80s edition that was the actual third game was a bit of a footnote since it only came out on PS2 and had very little in it that differed from Guitar Hero 2 other than the songs.

GH3 continues with the same basic formula as the previous games which will keep fans of the series happy, but at the same time adds some welcome new features. One of the best additions is that of online play so that you can now do co-op, face-off, pro face-off and battle mode with a friend over the Live network.

The battle mode is a change up from the normal face-off modes in that instead of gaining star power you acquire attacks from playing certain sequences of notes. Then when you turn the guitar up as if you were going to use star power it instead launches an attack at your opponent. The attacks vary in their nastiness and while I was skeptical of this new aspect of the game it's actually a nice twist for those more competitive players.

Another addition is the co-op career mode, but unfortunately you can't play this mode online which means you'll have to get a friend over with their guitar to experience this mode.

Speaking of the guitar the new wireless Gibson Les Paul style guitar controller is a welcome change from the original 360 GH2 controller. Overall it just feels a lot more solid, especially the whammy bar. Not being wired makes a big difference in terms of convenience. There are GH3 bundles out there with the original GH2 controller in them and I would recommend passing on those in favor of the wireless bundle.

The career mode remains mostly the same as in the previous games. There are now little animated vignettes between each set that don't add much to the overall experience, but certainly are a welcome change from the old bus driving across the country scenes in the previous games. The other addition to career mode is that at the end of certain sets you have to enter battle mode with another guitarist. By now most people know that Tom Morello and Slash are the two real guitarists who you battle against in the game. Both contributed original guitar compositions for their battle sections and can be unlocked as avatars in the game.

The playing experience itself is much the same, though it seems the game is even more forgiving in the timing of when you play notes than even GH2 was and hammer-ons and pull-offs are also very easy to do. For experienced players this will obviously make the game easier in some respects, but at the same time the note structure has been mixed up a bit and the later songs are pretty challenging on Hard and Expert.

While the multiplayer aspect adds a lot more playability to the game at the same time the core of the experience remains the songs and for this game there are even more original songs than before and the song list is pretty great.

Overall GH3 rocks the house in much the same way as the previous games, but with the addition of some new features it doesn't feel like more of the same. Multiplayer adds a new aspect that should give the game a lot more life overall between those times when you get your friends over to the house.

Here is the list of tracks by the original artists (or in the case of Talk Dirty to Me, original vocalist) used in the game. This doesn't include the bonus tracks by the less well known artists.

"Talk Dirty to Me" - Poison (Vocals re-recorded by Bret Michaels)
"Bulls on Parade" - Rage Against the Machine
"When You Were Young" - The Killers
"Miss Murder" - AFI
"Lay Down" - Priestess
"Paint It, Black" - The Rolling Stones
"Anarchy in the U.K." - Sex Pistols (re-recorded)
"Kool Thing" - Sonic Youth
"Before I Forget" - Slipknot
"Stricken" - Disturbed
"3's & 7's" - Queens of the Stone Age
"Knights of Cydonia" - Muse
"Cult of Personality" - Living Colour (re-recorded)
"Raining Blood" - Slayer

"Reptilia" - The Strokes
"Suck My Kiss" - Red Hot Chili Peppers
"Helicopter" - Bloc Party
"Monsters" - Matchbook Romance
I adore the Guitar Hero series. It is incredibly fun, can be played co-op, and exposes players to all sorts of great music. Guitar Hero III ups the ante with even more fantastic songs plus a new battle mode for fun head to head gameplay!

Once again you're a small time band starting off in your garage - or make that, your back yard. As you play through songs on your guitar controller, your career begins to take off. You make videos, play larger arenas, and earn money. The money lets you buy yourself new outfits and guitars. As you battle special players, you unlock their characters - like Slash from Guns 'N Roses.

In every Guitar Hero game there have been songs I've liked and other songs I haven't liked. That's going to be true pretty much no matter who you are. They try their very best to provide a wide range of music to suit all guitar tastes, and they do an excellent job at it. Some of the songs are SUPER in this set and got me up off the couch dancing around while I played along.

The new battle mode is a ton of fun. Before, you'd get a simple encore at the end of each set. This time you occasionally have to fight a newcomer for guitar supremacy. In battle mode you earn "attacks" that you can then lob at your opponent. These do things like break strings, make you play double notes, make your screen shake, and much more. It is super fun. Near the end of the game when you're down in "Hades", you have to battle the devil himself playing ... Devil went down to Georgia!

There are of course the extras to unlock by doing things like playing 100 notes in a row, the ability to play against friends head to head locally, plus the new ability to play against others online! Talk about a true challenge! It was always scary enough looking at XBox Live and seeing how amazingly high some of those scores were. Imagine trying to play those people live?

The graphics are great. Each location is fleshed out in fantastic detail, from the flickering flames of Hades to the glowing red lanterns of your back yard. The audience always seems a little robotic, but heck, how much do you want from a guitar game?

Many of the songs are now original band-sung songs - including a Living Color song that the band re-recorded specifically for this game! There are still a collection of songs that are "in the style of" - some are good, some are really not so good. The Stevie Ray Vaughn song stands out as the not-so-good reproduction. Still, what can you do. Why aren't those bands giving the Guitar Hero guys permission to use their real tracks? Don't they know how immensely popular this game is?

We do have the wireless guitar controller and it's worked pretty flawlessly so far. We've noticed a tiny amount of 'misses' with the red button, but that may be us getting used to it, we'll have to see.

Highly, highly recommended. It was so much fun that my boyfriend, a guitar player, would occasionally try to play the "real notes" rather than the Guitar Hero game notes. It really is absorbing!

Make sure you get TWO guitars to go with it, so you can play with a friend!
on November 4, 2007
A note to any official Amazon guys - you might want to merge this review set with the bundle on 360.

Okay. Now, I'm a fan of the franchise. I own a lot of it. All of it, actually, and twice on 360 and PS2 for the immediate predecessor of this installment. So, hopefully you will trust me when I say that I am a fan of the gameplay and the franchise in general in this preface.

It's kind of baffling what's happened with this game. Neversoft has certainly recognized some of the shortcomings of its predecessor, but have somehow managed to not solve even one of those issues, and have, in fact, introduced new problems to be addressed. I'll do this as a sort of point-by-point thing, to keep it organized:

1. Medium-to-Hard. In Guitar Hero 2, the jump from Medium to Hard was only slightly more enjoyable than stepping in front of a speeding bus. The main reason this was such a problem was that the game was very, very poorly designed for getting players over that average-to-hard hump. For one thing, the initial two difficulty settings compel you to adapt your grip on the fretboard to leave your index finger on the green button, pinky on the blue button, and keep each assigned to its place. With the introduction of the orange button, that's no longer really a viable strategy if you want to avoid crippling the weaker side of your hand. Additionally, in 2, upon reaching hard difficulty, the speed of the notes down the fretboard doubled, the fifth button was introduced, and chords and note orders increased in complexity. Those three things were enough to make hard a no-go for a lot of people in principle where a gentler slope would have taken care of that.

In response, Neversoft has tried to reduce the impact of the change in difficulty by making the Medium notes move just about as fast as the Hard difficulty ones. Unfortunately, instead of making the Medium to Hard transition easier (still very difficult because of the whole hand-training thing), it just makes the Easy to Medium transition much more jarring. Hard is still so hard that I barely want to try it at all.

2. Uncomfortable Play - I swear, the designers have put some of these songs together specifically to be painful for me. Seriously - playing Knights of Cydonia I thought I was going to cripple myself. On Medium. These guys really need to get some bad players into the office to see if they're not making something dangerous. I should not find out that I'm bad at a game by giving myself a repetitive motion injury.

3. Guitar Battles - This is a new problem for the single player. Guitar battles in multiplayer might be a good idea. I don't honestly know. Seems more interesting than a score-off to me. Unfortunately, in single player, because of the way the attacks are set up, they're really just an exercise in coin flipping. Some of the attacks are utterly crippling to the computer player while others, in addition to having a large delay before they become effective, essentially have no impact whatsoever. If you get the good attacks while you're trying to play, you'll win. If you don't, you lose. Whether you're any good or not is really not of much relevance. That's bad. Guitar battles in single player, for me, tended toward exercises in frustration at the computer not giving me the tools I needed to succeed and not having any other recourse to win. They need retooling.

4. Cooperative Campaign - This is a wonderful idea. It really is. But what half-brain decided that there should be exclusive tracks squirreled away in it that I cannot get to? That's right - I am totally unable to unlock those tracks, because I cannot play the cooperative campaign online. I'll confess - I'm old. My friends are married and have families. The only time I'm going to have somebody with another guitar at my house is if I throw a party, and I'm not really a party kind of guy. That's not a good reason to keep me from playing frigging Sabotage if I want to. I will grant that they have made the songs themselves available in online coop play, but nothing I do online seems to unlock anything for me to practice (and I SERIOUSLY need to practice Helicopter before I try THAT again). Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I'm going to assume I know what I'm doing.

5. Song List - Guitar Hero 2 was pretty good in this regard. It had a good sampling from a broad spectrum of rock (maybe a little light on new stuff). Guitar Hero 3 seems to be making a point of digging in the dustbins of rock history. It's not that the songs are bad, but many of them are outside of my experience, and that puts me off. I'm a child of the 90s. This game seems to be a schizophrenic effort to appeal to younger people than me and to older people than me. Some of the songs also puzzle me. Kool Thing? Really, guys? I can't even tell what I'm supposed to be doing there. It's barely a song. There's better Sonic Youth. There's a distressing number of songs where the lead guitar is nearly invisible, and that makes it kind of hard to play. The number of master tracks is also disappointingly small, compared to its soon-to-be-released competitor, Rock Band.

Don't get me wrong - the game is fun for what it is, but there's just so much here that could have been done better. Should have, really. I hope Neversoft takes some time on the next installment, puts in a fifth difficulty level (between Normal and Hard), and works out the kinks in their new stuff.
55 comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2015
This was a revlutionary game for the Guitar Hero franchise. Wireless guitar and 'Through the fire and the flames' by Dragonforce. It was a very challenging and extremely fun game. Always fun to pick up and play every now and again. Would highly recommend to any gamer!
VINE VOICEon December 7, 2007
I loved GH2 and bought GH3 the first day it was released. There's just something about the game-play and the guitar controller that is addictively fun and has me playing these games over and over, to the annoyance of my girlfriend. But Guitar Hero 3 is a bit of a step back.

The music isn't as good, for one thing. The non-master tracks all sound kind of garbled or they just sound "off" (Stevie Ray Vaughn's "Pride and Joy" or ZZ Top's "La Grange" for example). In GH2, the game did a better job of replicating the non-master tracks, IMHO. Then there are times when you're playing along more to the synthesizer track or the drums, rather than a guitar ("Suck My Kiss" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers isn't exactly a classic "guitar" song and the Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" isn't really a guitar game at all, though the Rock Band version might have you re-think that).

Also, the game-play just doesn't seem to be as well-synched as in the original GH2. The buttons come flashing at you in a random way and it isn't as much like playing a guitar as in GH2. I like the variety of music, though, and one of my favorite songs to play is Slipkot's "Before I Forget" and I'm not really a fan of heavy metal at all.

Also with the game play, as others have mentioned, the move from Easy to Medium to Hard really needs some work. Easy was far too "easy"--I got 100% scores on the first 10-12 songs I played, the first time I played them (that wasn't the case in GH2). And the Medium setting is just too hard in some cases (Muse's "Knights of Cydonia," Metallica's "One"). I don't think I'll ever beat Lou at the end of the Medium setting, and I can't even imagine trying to play at Hard or Expert (I'm an older guy, and my hands can't take the stress--developers need to keep us in mind, too; these games aren't all being played by teens and pre-teens; I can't imagine the playlist really appeals to those much younger than about mid-20s).

That brings up the whole guitar battle aspect of the game. These are either far too easy or far too difficult and there really isn't a lot of rhyme or reason to how the attacks get thrown at you. Luckily, I discovered that if you fail a battle three times in a row, you get the opportunity to "wuss out," or I might never have gotten past Slash and on to the rest of the game. As for exclusive songs in the co-op mode, that's just plain a bad idea (there are unlock codes to open them up for the Quick Play mode).

Finally, though, having purchased Rock Band and seeing the wealth of stuff that's available on that disc, I just have to say that GH3 is a bit of a "bare bones" presentation. There's so much more that could have been done with this. I enjoyed playing GH3, but can't imagine when I'll come back to it, unless a friend (or relative) with a guitar controller happens to stop by. You're paying quite a bit for a game that you'll probably (depending on your age/past experience with the franchise) finish very quickly.
on November 24, 2015
Neversoft played it pretty safe with Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock. It doesn’t break new ground and it didn’t need to. The existing formula has made the franchise a huge success. They did add a local co-op Career Mode, boss battles to the solo Career Mode, and a multiplayer Battle Mode. They also focused on improving the look and feel of the game with tremendous results. i actually enjoyed this game!
on September 8, 2014
I have no regrets about purchasing this game, but I do feel that it lacks something previous games in the series had. I can't quite out my finger on it, but I feel like the whole quality of the game feels like it has been rushed in production. Overall, this game is definitely still a great Guitar Hero game. It's a great game to pass time, and most of the songs on this game's song list are pretty good. (I do believe they could have added a lot more songs, but we get what we get.)

PLEASE READ: If you are purchasing this game in anticipation of buying the awesome downloadable songs, you might as well look somewhere else because as of March 2014, all downloadable content in all Guitar Hero games has been removed due to low sales and overall bad production issues. I made the mistake of not checking whether or not the DLC songs were still available before I purchased this game. So, fair warning about the DLC songs.
on November 6, 2007
Maybe it's my eclectic musical tastes, growing up with an organist for a mother I've always been a fan of metal because of the strong parallels to classical music, but the sound track is awesome on GH III. Metal, punk, pop punk, dinosaur rock... it's all there and such a blast. A sound track of the harder side of music from the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and 00's. There are songs I've listened to for years, that I've found a new found enjoyment of through this game because you actually learn the song, between playing the bass or the guitar you pick up riffs, rhythms, and phrasing you never realized were there.

I found "Easy" more difficult than "Medium" - differences in the rhythms. Hard is challenging and Expert is impossible. As a gaming fan I've been frustrated with a lot of the games these days because unless you're 13 and can camp out in front of the TV for days at a time, a lot of games out there are too big. GH III is great because I can go escape, rock it out, have a lot of fun, and 30 minutes later get back to work, pick up the kids, and other wise remain a responsible adult.

My left hand is brutally cramped up, but no more so than when I was taking real guitar lessons. I'll agree with the commenter that said the GH franchise should bring in some "Average Joe's" and watch/observe/converse with them to try and "blend" the experience from Easy through Expert better - it would probably make the franchise that much more successful. But, while it isn't learning the guitar for real, there is a learning process and it does take practice. Start a career from Easy, play through, then go to Medium, play through, and go to Hard and you'll be surprised how "good" you've gotten. Jump into Hard right away and the game will suck -- unless you're already a master.

As far as the "satan" concerns for some of the music, people need to realize that (for the most part) it was/is mainly a gimmick. It's about rebelling against the "establishment" and about the post-calvinist "black and white" of modern "christianity" - not religion or God, per se, but about the cookie cutter absolute and societal definition of acceptable and what "should be" versus reality. The bands that played that card were more about having fun and being/offering an experience of counter-culture than anything else (similar to the cardiologist that don's leather, skulls and a Harley on the weekends). Music is art and art has and always will be about pointing out hypocrisy in and through us all be it small or large - such things keep us honest, at least collectively. Curse words are edited out of all the songs, and the imagery in the game is "rock nostalgia" sprinkled with a lot of comedic effect. If we can't laugh at ourselves, where are we? Just have fun for crying out loud.

Personally, I'd rather my daughters listen to Slayer than watch most of what's on TV.

It's a fun, fun, fun, game.
on June 29, 2008
Basically, GH3 is for hardcore rhythm game fans. Many knock the game for the things it doesn't share with RB(full set of instruments, less dowloadable content) I will celebrate the differences. You wouldn't want 2 of the same game out there. GH3 is much more difficult than RB and offers more guitar centric tracks(for obvious reasons) Suprisingly, GH3 out trumps RB in forms of difficulty progression and actually telling a story. In RB you basically play songs in different locations until you see the end credits. I didn't even realize the last song of the game was the final song because it was just as difficult as the rest of the songs. You won't make that mistake in GH3. The final 3 songs are probably the hardest time ive had with the genre( even on normal) and the Dragonforce song that plays during the credits is unbelievable. I like the story in GH3. I wont spoil it but you basically go from rags to riches to infamy. All in all, at some points the game seems too hard and the play list is kind of hit or miss. All in all GH3 is worth a buy if you find RB too easy.
on May 18, 2013
I purchased this GHIII game to flashback to college... It's has my favorite song selection out of all GH games I have played. The biggest downside to this game is that you can't play CO-OP while both on the lead part. Too bad...