Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

Format: DVD|Change

on May 7, 2011
No it's not a movie for adults. This is for kids. A giant jack black falls down... seat first and smushes down right on a tiny soldier .. Dead on target.

Is that kids fare to you? My kids laughed and laughed. It was innocent humor with a good message about life's twists and turns and overcoming first impressions.
on April 2, 2013
I took my children to see this movie at the cinema very reluctantly. The book is a masterpiece (one of my favourite books) and my children got to know the meaning of the work 'travesty' which I muttered every time they begged me to take them to see this Jack Black vehicle.

I relented and have to say that I actually really enjoyed it very much. Clearly the story has been updated and Gulliver is basically a slacker mailroom boy who dreams of impressing his boss, an editor in a New York travel magazine. He ends up taking a boat through the Bermuda Triangle and ends up in Lilliput, a kind of Ruritanian country, where he makes some kind of success mainly by urinating on the castle when it is on fire and saving the king of Lilliput.

There are some brilliant comic performances by Jack Black and Chris O'Dowd as well as Emily Blunt. You also have Billy Connolly and Catherine Tate (a bit underused) as the king and queen of Lilliput.

Anyway we now have the DVD and are still enjoying watching it.
on April 30, 2011
I liked it. I'm a Jack Black fan and he delivers again. This is marketed as a kid's movie, so I'm not sure what all the nay-sayers are complaining about. Take a chill pill, pull the critic out of your arse, and Enjoy a funny, feel good movie!
A+
on May 28, 2011
Wow, it's a good thing we rented this through Redbox before reading the reviews here... I don't generally write reviews, but feel I have to help restore the balance. All of my family (40+ mum & dad, 4 kids ages 4 to 11) thought Gulliver's Travels was a good, funny movie. Yes, the 'peeing on the castle' could be seen as gross, but there was no flesh shown, so to my thinking, no harm done. *shrug* Must be a lot of wowsers out there...

So, to paraphrase the Review guide - "What would I have wanted to know before I watched it?"... That kids from 4 to 11 are likely to love it, and laugh-out-loud several times. That parents will smile and laugh too. That there's the typical 'moral lesson' in the story, but it's not heavy. It may not make your all-time-favourite-movies list, but nothing outrageous here.

And yes, I'm buying it now so we can all watch it again and again...
on March 22, 2015
I didn't really enjoy this movie. It was cute but not really funny or an interesting story line.
There are some comedians I don't particularly care for, and this main actor is one of them.
It had some good advertising, so I bought it.
My fault, knowing he's not my "humor style" I shouldn't have purchased the movie.
on July 2, 2011
Okay what did you expect? I didn't expect much, but they turned it into a chick flick. This has been the way of Hollywood. Vampires and werewolves: chick flick. Red Riding Hood: chick flick. The sinking of the Titanic: chick flick. Red Sox Nation: chick flick. Shouldn't us guys get a warning label? Please Please, leave Star Trek alone!!!

The product placement in the movie was higher than normal, Coke, Red Bull, Cremora, Planet Hollywood to name a few. If we list other movies, we would have to use scientific notaion.

Jack Black, mail room boy, has a crush on the travel editor at the newspaper where he is employed. He ends up writing a story for her which lands him trip to the Bermuda Triangle. This in turn sends him to Lilliput where he ends up helping a lowly commoner in love with the princess. Not too difficult to figure out the symbolism. Jack has the Lilliputians construct items similar to our own. While there is humor in this, as well humor in Jack's fascination with Star Wars and Guitar Hero. However, the movie lacks the biting political satire of the original tale, something they could of done if they had a half decent script writer.

No nudity, unless you count Jack Black's butt crack, no sex, no f-bombs. Jack crudely puts out a fire through urination. Looks like it was made for tweens.
on February 21, 2014
I like Jack Black, but the ending of this moving seemed to have no purpose other than to promote Jack Black as a musical talent. Truly, the last ten minutes of this movie ruined the entire experience for me. On the other hand, the ending did cause me to forget the other parts I didn't like. I'm also a fan of musicals, but not when movie isn't supposed to be a musical but force it to be one in the last ten minutes of the film. Disappointing.
on October 5, 2014
Jack Black is a talented comedian who needs to select his movies more carefully. We watched this for a good 40 minutes in the hope it would improve but it didn't. The writing is at fault here- Jack Black does his best but there is nothing for him to work with
on April 19, 2011
I seen the movie, it was really good. Jack Black and Jason Segel made an excellent performance in this movie. This duo were like Abbott and Costello in this movie, where a giant and a little guy stick together to become unbeatable team. Gulliver was a nerdy slacker who was working in a mailroom, going nowhere and the girl he has a crush doesn't know he exist. That changes, when he decided to become a journalist of the magazine where he works at, since his crush is the boss, he lied to her about some samples he wrote and she gave him an assignment of bermuda triangle. Gulliver goes to bermuda triangle and shipwrecks on an island with little people and their place looks like ninteenth century england. This is where Gulliver makes friends with little people and has a best friend on the island Horatio who looks up to Gulliver. Gulliver helps him land his crush the princess of the island. Gulliver had a make a choice go home, where people treat him like dirt and stay on the island where little people respect him. This movie is excellent, it has a great plot, great characters and a great love story.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 18, 2016
Jonathan Swift's Gulliver's Travels, originally published
in 1726, has been one of the most renowned classics of
English literature. Perhaps better that Mr. Swift not be
alive today to see this ungodly interpretation of his work
bastardized by the likes of Jack Black, an actor that
Hollywood still has not apparently realized nobody thinks
is talented nor funny.

Sorry to be so blunt, but sitting through this tripe only
makes you feel embarrassed for the actors that signed
on to participate. While I am certain the film was an
easy payday for a cast that only had to go through
the most wooden of emotions in front of blue screen, I am
sure none of them are too happy about including this film
on their resume.

The film is ever so loosely based on the original literary
works, deprived of its original political and religious satire,
and reduced to a mere children's story filled with pre-puberic
humor. It is exactly the kind of film you would expect Jack
Black to be starring in. For when you want to make a film
that caters to the lowest common denominator, what better
than to hire someone to play the lead whose only talent is
carry an entire movie with his patented assortment of facial
features that got old after The School of Rock.

In this adaptation, Lemuel Gulliver (Jack Black) is a mailroom
clerk in a large newspaper facility. He has a crush on one of
the newspaper's travel editors, Darcy Silverman (Amanda
Peet), and attempts to impress her by volunteering to go on
assignment to write a column. Darcy sends Lemuel into the
Bermuda Triangle where a turbulent sea storm shipwrecks
his boat on an island where he becomes imprisoned by tiny
inhabitants known as Lilliputs.

Oh, the writers must have dreamed of putting Jack Black into
this playground where he can strut his stuff amongst tiny city
models and stiff actors who point and gawk at every move
the giant makes. Here is a land Jack Black makes his own,
infusing every pop icon reference (including several Fox
properties) he can to make it hip and funny -- but unfortunately
the movie turns out to be anything but.

In an effort to make this garbage even more appealing to
audiences, the moviemakers decided to present it in 3D.
That would be well and good if there was a reason to make
audiences shell out a few dollars more to enjoy the spectacle.
Unfortunately, a great opportunity was totally shelved here.
For the life of me, I couldn't understand why the filmmakers
didn't allow "Mr. Eyebrows" and his supporting cast to make
better use of the props they were given for the benefit of the
format. It was after watching the film that I learned that the
entire film was shot for 2D and then upconverted for 3D.

That makes complete sense, for I will be honest with you,
Gulliver's Travels does not benefit by the 3D process
whatosever. Sure, the mere scope of the film, placing
big objects within small environments, offers an interesting
amount of dimensional spacing, but overall the film often
looks flat to the point you forget you are watching a 3D feature.
I feel somewhat ashamed, as the HTF 3D GURU that I
don't have more to tell you about the quality of the 3D --
but there just isn't anything I was inspired by. When you
have a feature originally staged and filmed for 2D, one
can't expect the film to break any new ground here. In
fact, nothing onscreen comes close to leaping off the
screen.

Ghosting is barely present here. I didn't notice it at all
through much of the film up until a scene towards the
end that takes place in a darkened cave between
Gulliver and Darcy where I saw quite a bit of image
doubling.

The Blu-ray transfer sports a very crisp, pleasing image
that is colorfully vibrant. One need only to check out the
lush greens of the Liliput country landscape to see how
well colors are represented in this high-def transfer. There
is no artifacts to be found anywhere.

A 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio track is rather ample, though
never pushes the boundaries of being exceptional. To clarify,
the audio is clear and strong and the surrounds provide good
support for the film's effects, but this is far from being the
best DTS track I have heard despite there being some nice
underlying bass response during the climatic effect sequences.

The Blu-ray 3D combo back also includes a DVD and Digital
Copy as ell as 60 minutes of all-new bonus material.

Gulliver's Travels should be a total embarrassment for
everyone involved with it. The film best appeals to kids
who might get a kick out of some of the film's more
vulgar humor. Adults will be completely straight-faced
throughout.