5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photos
I gave this book as a gift, and the recipient loved it! The photography is cool, the descriptions are great, and the collection as a whole is very informative.
Published on November 20, 2008 by S. Franke

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but numerous errors
Published on December 17, 2008 by Norm Venturino

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, but numerous errors, December 17, 2008
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
This is a nice pictorial display, but short on accuracy. While the writer claims to have extensive firearms knowledge, he fails to demonstrate it in several nomenclature gaffs. For example, in a picture of the Winchester 1894 lever action carbine, he identifies the loading gate as the ejection port? He also identifies "semi-automatic" weapons as "automatic weapons". Semantics perhaps, but none the less, significant mistakes to a gun enthusiast.

In another factual error, he identifys the Colt Thunderer as a .44 caliber weapon, when in fact it is a .41 caliber. There are other errors I caught and some I am sure I missed.

Again, from a visual entertainment book, I would give this 3 stars. But as a reference source, 2 stars at best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful photos, November 20, 2008

4.0 out of 5 stars Guns - a book for men!!, December 22, 2008
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I bought this book for a nephew. I have a family of hunters - deer, turkey, squirrel, birds, etc. They have all kinds of guns. Some even collect them. So my husband was looking through the book before we wrapped it and he was very pleased with the history and details of these guns featured. Good history lessons. Santa will bring him that same book, I bet!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice pictures, lots of errors., December 5, 2008
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
You can spend hours looking at this little book with its many photographs of a very wide variety of weapons from America, Europe, and Asia, going back hundreds of years. Each photograph has several labels, each pointing to a feature of the weapon. The annoying thing is that most of them are obvious, like "hammer" or "barrel", and some are just wrong. For example, the bolt disassembly tool in the stock of the Mauser 1898 carbine is identified as "Regimental identifying plate". That's just silly. But still, this is a very entertaining little book, filled with beautiful photographs, interesting details, and some history about many of the guns.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift!, January 6, 2009
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for my brother for Channukah. He absolutely loved it! The book is smaller than I had pictured in my mind, I was thinking it would be a large "coffee table book"; however it was on the smaller side in length and height. Though the book wasn't as I picutred it was amazing on the inside. The pictures and descriptions of the guns are great. Overall I think the book is great, not only the interior but it's a perfect coffee table book that won't take up your entire table! I would definitely recommend this book for anyone who has a love for guns.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great book for all ages, February 19, 2009
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I got this book for my little cousin at Christmas. The history and pictures are great and it is a very easy and informative read! This is my cousins favorite book and he reads it every day! However, my war buff Grandfather also really liked this book, so did my brother who likes to hunt and my dad and uncles who just have interests in history! Even the aunts and the mothers liked looking through the book and reading the captions and the pictures. Definitely worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift for gun enthusiasts, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I bought this book as a gift for one of my son's. He loved it and has used it as a reference numerous times since receiving it. The photos are high quality. The stats are specific, and there is even a really great story about a letter Clyde Barrow sent to Henry Ford. This book is a must have for anyone interested in firearms and their history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book as gift, April 30, 2009
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I purchased this book at Christmas for my husband, which he was pretty impressed with, and he suggested I order for our son-in-law's birthday, which I did. Even though there were a couple of discrepencies in some of the gun descriptions (according to my gun knowledgable hubby), he still gave it a thumbs up!

4.0 out of 5 stars great gift for gun lovers, January 27, 2009
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
I bought this as a gift for a friend who loves guns. It was a wide range of guns from antiques to present day. He said he couldn't put the book down until he finished it and now he goes to it for references.

3.0 out of 5 stars Gun: A Visual History, March 26, 2010
This review is from: Gun: A Visual History (Hardcover)
Book is OK, but noted some obvious errors without "digging".
It does cover a wide range of weapons, which is good.

Gun: A Visual History
Gun: A Visual History by DK Publishing (Paperback - April 16, 2012)
$15.95 $12.92