5.0 out of 5 stars CHESTER'S LAST SEASON - MINE, TOO
I love the Gunsmoke series - at least all the shows that concentrate on the original core cast.

Published 16 months ago by Adam Love

3.0 out of 5 stars I just expected by season 9 they would be the color version and was a little disappointed. but
I did not check to see if they were in color, I just expected by season 9 they would be the color version and was a little disappointed. but, i love the shows.
Published 4 months ago by Cathy J. Prater

5.0 out of 5 stars CHESTER'S LAST SEASON - MINE, TOO, July 26, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)

Matt, Chester, Doc and Kitty were at the heart of the shows and formed a fine ensemble cast. Of course, there were some very fine shows that featured stories that isolated each of the four in plots that were interestingly revelatory of that character's personal strengths and back history. But for me it was always the gentle interplay between the main four characters that made me want to schedule time to watch that week's episode.

The other western shows of the time (and there were MANY) all had shootouts, bank robberies, disputes between open range ranchers and farmers, et., etc., etc. None of them had the mature story-lines and time-tested characterizations that Gunsmoke possessed. They did not have Gunsmoke's three years of proven radio show scripts to draw from. Quite a few of the recycled radio scripts had to be softened a bit for TV. Some of the harsher realities of life on the frontier were left better to the imagination of a radio audience. Showing them on 1950's TV would have been considered a little over the line. If you have never heard any of the radio shows, I urge you to seek them out - you will NOT be disappointed.

Sadly, this season saw the exit of a key character. Dennis Weaver had played Chester for nine years and wanted to strike out on his own and do other things. Unlike many other series stars, his move proved successful for him. But it did not bode well for Gunsmoke.

Much of the charm of the ensemble came from Chester's relationship with Marshall Dillon and the gentle banter between both of them with Doc Adams. The underlying affection between them all was always apparent in their most cutting jibes.

The loss of Dennis Weaver left a hole that was never satisfactorily filled. It is not my intention to belittle the contributions of any of the actors that came after. It was the loss of CHESTER that left the gaping hole. The show was never the same to me after that. I had faithfully watched Gunsmoke from its premier episode. After Chester left, I slowly drifted away from the show.

I am so glad to have these initial nine seasons to watch again. Most of the hour-long color episodes that are being shown in syndication have James Arness only in the opening credits. When Matt is featured, he is usually alone, transporting a prisoner out on the prairie and has no interaction at all with the other main characters. Viewers watching today have no idea how much better the show once was. I hope they get the chance to experience Gunsmoke's beginnings through these DVD's.

This is the last season I will buy of this fine series. It preserves the show during its strongest years with a young, vibrant cast. This is the way I first saw them so MANY years ago.

This the way I want always to remember them.

Here are the episodes for Season Nine:

36. Journey For Three

* Chester's last appearance

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Good, August 12, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
The many shows in Season 8 and 9 that Chester was missing without comment or explanation (while Dennis Weaver was off doing other projects) causes you to reflect on what an important part of the show he was for the first nine seasons. However, the appearance of Festus in Season 8 and his return as a regular in Season 9 was a very good addition to the show. The writing is still very strong, the acting excellent. The episodes that Chester did appear in were all good, particularly with he and Festus in the same episodes. I will continue to buy the seasons as long as the writing remains strong and the acting good. At some point in the original run, I lost interest in the show, as it started to repeat stories, but through Season 9 everything is still going strong. I think it will be interesting to see the development of Festus into Season 10 and thereafter. On this set we even get the last appearance of Ken Curtis as a character other than Festus in Lover Boy, where he plays a very bad man. I think this show stayed on the air too long, however, clearly through the first 9 years it has to be rated as one of the top westerns of all time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Purchased for the episodes with Chester, October 6, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Won't buy the second volume, I don't think. But, I wasn't going to buy this one either. I enjoy the episodes with Chester, so got Vol. One of Season Nine. The Festus character is a little over the top for me Burt Reynolds character is believeable, but just doesn't hit the mark. The quality of the Ninth Season, Vol 1 is just as great and the service was, of course, timely and without a problem. Great series with, I admit, alot of gun action, but the writers have given the characters depth over the years, a sense of loyalty and friendship and I like the Marshal's rare glimpses into his background around religion and all the characters have values I see as lost in commercial TV. The complicated, but kiss-less romance between the Marshal and Kitty doesn't change and I know some future episodes will demonstrate the character's feelings evolve - so, I guess I'm hooked after all. With the fruit basket that is Washington D.C. right now, these DVDs are a staple of my day!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Stop!!, September 22, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
just keep them coming then people won't record them and sale them illegal..... All your going to do is mess up a TV Classic that ran for a record 20 years!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunsmoke, October 27, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
This DVD arrived on time and in very good condition. I just love Gunsmoke, because Matt Dillon will shoot you if you catch him the wrong way. I would recommend the DVD to anyone that likes good old westerns. I recommend the purchase to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars More then just a western, December 19, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
This is such a great series . very enjoyable characters. Interesting story lines. A time when tv didn't struggle with writing a new episode for next time .

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Series, December 10, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Gunsmoke is an excellent series. i have all that have been produced prior to this one. I would highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys westerns. The publisher needs to speed up the production on the remaining dvd's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Golly Bill Mathew, November 22, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I just added season nine to the collection I have of Gunsmoke. I can't wait for season 10 to come out. Get the first 9 seasons and you will be hooked also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gunsmoke season 9 vol. 1, October 20, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
I love this T.V. series! Gunsmoke is a great western and I love it! I will order every season...love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV Program, September 17, 2013
This review is from: Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 (DVD)
Great TV series, brought old memories. They sure don't produce the programs like they did. I would highly recommend this TV series. It lasted 20 years.

Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1
Gunsmoke: Season 9, Vol. 1 by James Arness (DVD - 2013)
$29.99 $20.03