Automotive Holiday Deals GG Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Adele egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Movember Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals BestoftheYear Shop Now HTL

I started using Gurin rechargeable oral irrigator on March 15, slight over 1 months ago. I wanted to test how long the irrigator will work on one charge, I have been using it once a day and it is still going (I will update this review when it runs out of charge).
UPDATE: Yesterday, I had my 6 months dental cleaning. The hygienist got done with me faster than normal and complimented me on doing a good job cleaning. I asked her opinion of oral irrigators and said she told me they are helpful especially in the hard to reach areas in the back of the teeth.

This is my first irrigator (I received a unit for evaluation) and it took me several tries to master using it. The things that are obvious to those who used this hygiene tool before were something that a new user needs to discover by trial and error. To use it properly you need to keep your lips tightly closed, and move the wand inside the mouth. The water from the irrigator will fill you mouth, so you will need to spit it out. This means you need to be able to stop the irrigator multiple times during the cleaning session. In order to avoid spraying the walls of your bathroom (been there done that!), keep the finger on the on/off button and use it before opening your lips. I typically do 1/2 of each side (e.g. button left) before stopping to spit out the water.

The first few days I used it I was not sure I would stick with it past the evaluation period. By the third day of use, I loved it! I definitely feel I get a better cleaned mouth especially on the inside of the back teeth. I can usually complete cleaning the entire mouth one full fill of the reservoir. Occasionally, I need to refill but that does not happen every time. The strength of the stream is the same until it is totally empty. My favorite setting is light pulse.

I am attaching a couple of photos (which can be located by following a 'customer photos' link under the main photo). The irrigator is shown on 1" gridded mat for size reference. The bottle is 7.5" tall, The nozzle is 3" long. The bottle is ergonomically shaped and is easy to hold. The empty irrigator weight 8.9oz. When it is full with water it weighs 13.7 oz. The buttons that select the setting and turn the unit on/off are on the back of the unit, right at the grip area.

I like

The fact this unit is rechargeable, does not need a cord. So far it exceeded my expectations of how long I can use it without needing to recharge the unit.

The unit is rather compact, and does not take much room on my vanity top.

I feel I am getting a better cleaning. The comments by the hygienist was a nice confirmation.

The unit came with two color-coded heads, each one can be used by different people.

I dislike

Nothing so far. If this is your first experience with an oral irrigator give it a few days before you decide if you like it. It did take me a few days to learn to use it in a way that felt good.

Ali Julia review

Update 5/22/2013 - The irrigator ran out of its first charge half way through the application this evening. My first use of the irrigator was on March 15, so the first charge lasted slightly over 2 months.
I'll update this review so there is a record of how long the second charge cycle lasts.
on June 26, 2013
After reading the reviews on Water Pik, I decided to order the Gurin. The instructions gave enough info to get started. It only took only 5.5 hrs to reach full charge. After installing the tip I fill the tank with "cold" water, which was a mistake on my part. After refilling with warm water, I set the mode for normal. I found the pressure was to great for my liking. After switching to soft, I was able to cover the front (top & bottom) and the back (top & bottom) before the tank ran out of water. I believe this unit has plenty of power/pressure, but someone with braces or a lot of bridgework would have to refill often. I will have to use the Gurin more to give a more complete report. Such as batteries longevity and actual effectiveness. The only reason for the four stars is because it is still to early right now.
on January 3, 2013
I purchased this item over six months ago for my wife. It was small and compact and had a rechargeable battery. It works awesome, if your looking for a high quality irrigator, you won't be disappointed with this one.
on August 1, 2013
Just started using this and am very pleased like that it is portable and I can even use it in the shower.Gurin Professional Rechargeable Water Flosser with High Capacity Water Tank
on June 19, 2013
This works great. However, I have to use it in the shower because no matter how many times I use it I invariably spray water everywhere. I would buy it again. Just keep that in mind.
on December 15, 2014
I am an avid flosser and was excited to try this since I have heard wonderful things about it. I was stunned to see how great it works. I will never go back to dental floss. This is amazing and I can tell I missed tons of "stuff" between my teeth with just using dental floss. This is great on your gums and teeth!
on August 17, 2013
I ordered the Gurin water flosser to use while travelling. At home I use a Waterpik Waterflosser, but it is too bulky for travel where bathroom space is especially limited (e.g. bathrooms with washstands). The Gurin is perfect. It fits comfortably in my size small hand yet it's water jet is as powerful as the Waterpik's without being either messier or more awkward to use. Thorough flossing requires 3 refills of the water reservoir; however, that's a minor inconvenience compared to the hassle of using dental floss with my bridges and implants.

Update: In April 2014 I tried to use the flosser on a cruise; however, the pump didn't work. When I got home, I emailed Gurin and received a warranty replacement within a week. They told me to throw the defective product away. Who could want better customer service? Thank you, Gurin!

Update October, 2014: Okay, so the replacement worked great for 3 weeks during two trips. The pump failed during my third pre-trip checkout in October. I downgraded this product to one star because that's what poor quality does for a great product. I will not go through another round with another Gurin replacement. Who wants to travel with a product that can't be trusted to function?!
on June 5, 2013
After a bit of getting used to this device works great. Well worth the investment so far. Priced right vs. competition
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Apparently a company can use any words they want in their marketing such as "professional" and "high capacity water tank." This is clearly not "high capacity" by any stretch of the imagination nor would you likely to find this being used in any "professional" application.

I've used an oral irrigation device for most of my life and have used several different brands and models. The last couple of years I've been using a Waterpik Ultra Water Flosser, the best I've ever used. I got the WaterPik after a less expensive oral irrigator, a Conair Interplak model which is no longer produced, broke down on me during the time I was wearing braces. The oral irrigation device made it much easier to properly care for my teeth, gums and braces. Using the WaterPik has markedly improved my oral hygiene and I continue to use it daily even though the braces are long gone. I no longer have to floss because the oral irrigation does as good a job, if not better, than flossing did.

My WaterPik water reservoir holds 22 ounces of water. It runs 2 minutes 45 seconds on a full tank. The Gurin "high capacity" tank holds a scant 5 ounces of water and only runs about 40-45 seconds before depleting. That was barely enough time for me to clean just my upper teeth and gums. A refill was necessary to do the entire mouth thoroughly.

I found the Gurin oral irrigator incredibly awkward to hold and maneuver in my mouth compared to my WaterPik... it is in fact impossible to use the Gurin oral irrigator properly. A huge issue with the Gurin is that you cannot maneuver the tip so that you can do the inside of your bottom row of teeth. Because of the tube in the water reservoir, there's no way you can tip the Gurin upside down to reach the inside bottom row. If you do tip it upside down no water flows since the water reservoir is upside down and the tube is not in the water anymore. So unless you stand on your head, which is difficult and makes you dizzy, you really can't reach the inside bottom row of teeth. This is not an issue with the WaterPik which has a highly maneuverable and easily handled handle/tip. The WaterPik also has a button on the handle that easily lets you stop the flow of water so it doesn't squirt all over the place if you remove the tip from your mouth ( so you won't have to stand in the shower to use it.)

The Gurin was also at a disadvantage in the ease with which tips can be inserted and removed compared to the WaterPik.

Even the most basic task of filling the reservoir was difficult with the Gurin. The WaterPik has a large, easily filled water reservoir.

People are saying that they have to use this in the shower because it squirts water everywhere. Do you really want to buy an oral irrigator that you have to go into the shower to use?

Oral irrigation is an extremely effective practice to utilize for good oral hygiene however I do not feel this is a good choice. For a few dollars more you can buy a vastly superior WaterPik brand oral irrigator that is easier to maneuver, holds significantly more water and has a much more adjustable water flow. The WaterPik is also more substantial and provides a much greater range of water pressure settings.

In practically every way I can imagine, the WaterPik oral irrigator is superior. The only "feature" the Gurin has that could be helpful to some people is that it's portable (for traveling) and can operate from it's internal battery.

I would not recommend this.

I was provided a sample for review.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon November 3, 2014
My teenage daughter has terrible teeth. She is at high risk for cavities because she has very soft enamel. She also has braces so she doesn't just go to the dentist twice a year for a cleaning. They see her every three to four months. At our visit earlier this month they suggested she start using a water flosser to help keep her teeth clean. Timing couldn't have been better because I received one for review a few days later.

Using this flosser was very intuitive. It is easy to fill and simple to use. There are 2 tips so it can be used by two different people. One word of caution - don't turn it on until it is in your mouth or it will squirt water all over the bathroom. Also warm water feels nicer on the gums than cold water does.

It is cordless and the battery seems to last a long time on one charge. It is also very easy to refill which is a good thing because to do a through job you need to fill this up twice. There are 3 different settings: normal, soft for sensitive gums and pulse to massage your gums.

The quality on this is not quite as good as I expected it to be. I guess I am comparing it to our electric toothbrush and it doesn't seem nearly as durable. So far we've had no problems with it so we are happy.

*free sample in exchange for an honest review*