5.0 out of 5 stars A Tent On A Stick
The last rainy day I used this--just a couple of days ago--no less than four people commented as follows during my commute home from the Wall Street area of Manhattan to home in Queens:

"Now that's what I call an umbrella!"

"Nice umbrella!"

"Where did you get that? I want one."

"You could fit a whole family under that...
Published on December 19, 2008 by John P. Thiel

1.0 out of 5 stars Used twice and it broke - Garbage
Published on July 15, 2005 by J. Farinella

5.0 out of 5 stars A Tent On A Stick, December 19, 2008
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)

"Now that's what I call an umbrella!"

"Nice umbrella!"

"Where did you get that? I want one."

"You could fit a whole family under that thing."

and so on.

Anyone who owns a Gustbuster will hear similar comments, particularly if they get the huge one that I refer to as "a tent on a stick." When I first showed up at work with it closed up, leaning against my desk, colleagues would come buy, pick it up to admire it, and even open it saying things like, "Do you go parasailing with this thing?" and "Whaddaya say we go try base jumping off the top of the building with it?"

Besides being extremely comfortable in otherwise uncomfortable conditions for one, my wife and I walk hand in hand comfortably under it rather than knocking into each other as we huddle underneath something smaller or walk wide apart while using separate umbrellas.

I feel it's actually easier to carry than smaller umbrellas, partly because it is not excessively heavy even given its large size.

We bought another, smaller Gustbuster umbrella for my wife, and she not only likes it for herself but has given the same as gifts to a couple of close friends--and she's a real Japanese fashionista (while I am the typical American bear).

As for durability, I've had mine for well over a year now, used it heavily, and it's still just like new except for some scratches on the wooden handle. For comparison, I have a Windefyer from Sharper Image that's nicely proportioned but heavy, started rusting fairly quickly, and weighs enough that I'm confident it could double as a billy club when folded into its compact size. Gustbuster proves that you don't have to be carrying a pound or more of steel to make an umbrella durable and strong.

Fashion-wise, this umbrella goes as well with a suit and tie as it does with jeans and a t-shirt. Most of the time when I've seen Wall Street businesspeople with huge umbrellas, they were carrying golf umbrellas--which really look rather odd when you're otherwise dressed for business.

I don't know if they make these by hand, but it certainly looks like that kind of attention to craftspersonship was given in putting it together (like those umbrellas they make in London) but with more durable materials for the shaft and ribs.

BOTTOM LINE: If ever I manage to break or destroy this umbrella--the wind certainly would not be the culprit--I'll go out and buy the exact same one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, not perfect., November 1, 2008
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
As with most Gustbuster umbrellas the Doorman 68" is well-made and functions as designed. The finish on the handle was not as strong as one would expect. It scratched easily and lost color.

1.0 out of 5 stars Used twice and it broke - Garbage, July 15, 2005
J. Farinella (Perrysburg, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
My wife is a school teacher and escorts pre-schoolers from the school bus to the school door each day. This umbrella lasted exactly TWO rainy days before the clasp near the top of the umbrella that holds it in the open position collapsed into the umbrella stick, making the umbrella useless. It no longer stays in the open position. Lesson learned? ..... Go to some golf shop and buy a nice umbrella from them, I guess.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent large umbrella for the dry professional, October 16, 2012
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
I must say that there are a lot of people slamming the GustBuster line of umbrellas and I have to wonder if some of the reviews are fake. I have owned three of these umbrellas and never had one break. I purchased this new Doorman model for Portland to use when dressed sharp in a suit. As you can see from dimensions, it's large. But it's not "clown large" and I think most people won't notice that it's oddly over-sized. There are only two things I'd say about the umbrella for people who are picky: (1) in order to have the GustBuster design where the canopy can stand strong winds, there has to be really two layers for the umbrella and they overlap. This isn't a problem, but it makes the umbrella thicker overall and so slightly heavier and more bulky. (2) The wood on the handle could be nicer. It looks like it will chip over time and it does not have a thick or strong lacquer. Still, I think it's a nice touch that it has wood at all. Very classy.

After throwing away my last umbrella (a beautiful but cheap over-sized rainbow-colored model) because of design failure or fatigue, I have to say this model is a great replacement. The size is perfect for any professional and it looks very sharp. See my pictures for design details.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor Quality, January 21, 2013
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
It is a large umbrella, which is why I bought it despite some of the marginal reviews. I've had it for about 4 months. In that time, the wood handle has split, come unglued, and falls off the shaft. If I were to hold the umbrella simply by the handle, a good updraft would see my umbrella floating away with a wood handle in my hand. Secondly, the velcro tabs on the closure straps have ripped away from the straps and I need to sew them back on. Thirdly, the plastic tip is very soft and I expect it to wear out before the umbrella. Lastly, the umbrella has a tendency to not stay closed, unless you use the velcro straps, hence the velcro failure is a real pain. I would not buy it or any product from GustBuster, nor would I recommend it to anyone. There have to be better quality umbrellas out there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very large and very well made, January 12, 2008
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
Great umbrella, very well made. The first one I received had one of the tips broken. I called the manufacture and they sent a replacement out the same day and they sent UPS out to pick up the damaged one. First class customer service and top notch product.

5.0 out of 5 stars The umbrella I've been looking for, December 27, 2012
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
It's been over a year since I bought this umbrella and it's still holding up great. Where I live, rain is often accompanied by strong winds, which means that small umbrellas are just glorified hats - the rain will soak you from the chest down. But regular large umbrellas get flipped over and torn by strong winds. Not this one, though - I've walked through some very strong winds and it hasn't even budged, it's really solid. The only thing that you have to keep in mind is to hold on tight to it - it's so big that when the wind pulls it up, it pulls it so strongly that it can rip the umbrella out of your hand. The anti-wind flaps help, but it still takes some strength to hold on to it.
The only issue that I've noticed is that the velcro strips that keep it wrapped tightly when not being used wore out after about a year, but I bought new ones and got my wife to sew them on to replace the originals, it only cost a few bucks. Everything else about this umbrella is awesome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Windy City no match, October 18, 2011
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
I have been using this umbrella for years now. I still do not understand why everyone does'nt have one. I work in the Loop downtown Chicago and whenever it rains I see umbrellas in the garbage cans all torn up and people fighting with the wind. I smile and keep walking. Has not let me down yet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not bad..., February 17, 2005
Ana M. "Ana M." (Southern California) - See all my reviews
This is an exceptional umbrella. It's a lot larger than I expected but I was happy I purchased the larger one.

It's kind of hard to find good quality large umbrellas in Southern California (hence the reason I ordered online).

I've already had several people I know order this umbrella because they've seen mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Big enough, March 9, 2013
This review is from: GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black) (Sports)
My brother is 6'5" this should be big enough to cover him in the rain and I also bought the gust buster for my sister in law she loves the umbrella

ARRAY(0x96813b40)

GustBuster Doorman 68" Umbrella (Black)
$49.95 $45.74
Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available.