1,296 of 1,317 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Healing my CFS/adrenal fatigue
WOW. This book is outstanding. Others have reviewed the book's content, and they do it far better than I could. So, instead, I'll attest to the healing power of this diet.

Published on January 27, 2012 by AndreaP.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful
Published 15 months ago by Babs McBee

1,296 of 1,317 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Healing my CFS/adrenal fatigue, January 27, 2012
This review is from: Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, Dyspraxia, A.D.D., Dyslexia, A.D.H.D., Depression, Schizophrenia (Paperback)

Over a year and a half ago, I became sick. Super sick. So sick I was unable to get out of bed. I eventually realized my adrenal glands were shot. So I quit my job and school and took time off, expecting to recuperate within a few months. Ha.

I researched and researched, pouring over everything I could read online. I had a Candida infection (resulting from allopathic drugs) that never went away. I'd literally feel poisoned, especially after eating. My immune system was a mess. I had zero energy. I suffered severe chemical and mold sensitivities and began to develop hives. I started developing arthritis in my knees and fingers. Some days it was so bad it prevented me from knitting/crocheting, two of my favorite pasttimes. I experienced constant congestion and back-to-back sinus infections. My body was in terrible shape. I'm not a dramatic person by nature, but I assure you, some days I wasn't sure how much sicker one could get before the body just gave up altogether. I kept getting weaker and more exhausted by the day. For months, I didn't leave the house. For the record, I'm 32 years old. (Mind-blowing, isn't it?) After several months of research and trial and error, I discovered the adrenal issues were a symptom of a much larger problem - severe leaky gut and gut dysbiosis.

If the preceding paragraph sounds like hyperbole to you, I can't say I blame you. Before my experience, I'd have been skeptical too. I had been preparing to study biochemistry in grad school. Before I became ill, I thought chronic illnesses and autoimmune diseases could merely be 'managed.' In blind faith, I had accepted what the medical establishment tells us. That was fine, until the medical establishment failed me...repeatedly. I gave up on allopathic medicine and knew it would be my responsibility to heal myself. As much as this illness has consumed me, it really was a true wake-up call. A blessing in disguise.

So I researched. Boy, did I research. I took vitamin/mineral supplements. I got my detox pathways up and running again, as per Dr. Myhill's methylation protocol. I followed her advice for supporting mitochondrial health. I started eating meat. I had been a vegetarian for 16 years, but I was so sick I had no difficulty adjusting to eating meat again. In fact, I craved it. Things improved slightly, but my quality of life was still abysmal.

Finally, a few months ago I happened upon some website extolling the GAPS diet. I looked into it but figured I was already eating a clean (mostly) paleo diet, so I didn't need to buy this book. I didn't think it was that different from what I was already doing. When I had to stay home on Christmas day because I felt so toxic and crummy, I decided to purchase the book.

So, sure I had already eliminated processed foods and gluten. But I still ate cheese everyday. I still ate sweet potatoes and oats. I still ate a lot of fiber. This book showed me the error of my ways. These things are fine for a healthy gut. But my gut was a complete wreck and needed special help. More importantly, this book showed me what I WASN'T eating that I needed to be eating: lots of bone broth and marrow, organ meats, and lots of ferments, amongst other things.

I started following the GAPS diet intro on January 1st of this year. The first two weeks were brutal. I had been toxic for so long that I was used to feeling lousy, but the die-off this diet produced was intense. In the book, she stresses the importance of managing die-off; but, because I was so toxic, there was really little I could do. The diet alone, even without the introduction of probiotics, sauerkraut, and kefir was enough to produce rapid die-off.

Then early last week, it was like the fog broke. Gradually, I started having more energy. I announced to my shocked boyfriend that I wanted to go for a walk in the park like we used to do. We did. I suffered no repercussions from it, whereas before GAPS it would have taken me days to recover. I now go for a 30-45 minute walk nearly every day. I can't stress how utterly amazing this is. I prayed that GAPS would help me. It was my last resort. However, I never expected it to work this quickly. Truth be told, I'm still stunned.

I'm nowhere near fully recovered. I've still got toxins circulating. I still feel die-off, but it is nowhere near what it once was. True, I take other supplements. However, since starting GAPS I have stopped taking the majority of my supplements, simply because I no longer need them. At long last, my diet is providing the nutrients my body has been needing all along for repair (particularly cholesterol and saturated fats, which are sadly demonized in our culture). I probably sound like a crazy person because I'm so, so excited about this book and this diet; but if you're sick like I was, you know all too well what it's like to live in a chronically ill body. I don't know what percentage of CFS is caused by gut dysbiosis, but I know that mine was. If yours is, this is, without a doubt, the diet to follow.

Because I'm having such rapid success on the intro phase, I intend to stick with it for a few months. Some people fly through it in a matter of days before starting full GAPS. That's the nice thing about this diet; you move at your own pace and let your body be the guide.

I'm also curious to see how this diet helps me with the mental health issues I've contended with since childhood (namely fits of debilitating anxiety, ocd, and depression that have become increasingly severe in the last few years). I had tried several SSRI's over the last ten years until a new doctor put me on Adderall (which is nothing more than a mixture of amphetamine salts and is very, very hard on the adrenals) after diagnosing me with ADHD. The SSRI's never worked. I'd be happy if GAPS prevents my anxiety from getting worse, but truly I'd love to see the anxiety eliminated permanently. At this point I have no expectations. After all, I've lived with the anxiety for 30 years. But if anything can help, I firmly believe it'll be this diet.

This book saved me. Reading success stories of people recovering from CFS is what got me through the worst moments. I hope my story does the same, and I will update again in a few months as I progress along my GAPS journey. I wish you all the best of health.

UPDATE 4/10/12: Spring has sprung here. I no longer seem to be affected by pollen, which in previous years gave me terrible allergies and sinus infections. In fact, I have not had a sinus infection in months. The arthritis symptoms are completely gone. I've lost 15 pounds and walk an hour or more just about daily in addition to my chores around the house. Also, for the last 3 months my monthly cycle has been just that (cyclical). In the 20 years I've been menstruating, I've NEVER once had a regular cycle. Now it's literally every 28-29 days. There has been no improvement on the mental stuff yet; in fact, the die-off seems to be temporarily making it much worse.

UPDATE 3/1/13: I've been on GAPS for over a year now, with no deviation. No cheating whatsoever. I can honestly say I don't miss any of the "normal" food that I used to eat. This stuff is just so nutrient-dense that I don't ever think of eating anything else. And I used to literally be addicted to sugar. So, that's pretty cool. As to my progress - physically, I'm not much stronger than I was six months ago. But I'm still light-years ahead of where I was two years ago. Still taking walks, doing chores, knitting, able to function like a human being. I'm experiencing new die-off symptoms (caused by breaking up biofilm in my gut with probiotics and systemic enzymes, I believe) like visual disturbances, rosacea and other rashes, adrenaline rushes, numbness/tingling/burning in my extremities. Apparently, these things are all typical for Candida overgrowth. I'm not surprised that I haven't experienced more physical improvement. My Candida infection was/is quite severe, and I've always anticipated that it would take several years to recover. Happily, though I am able to report a significant improvement in my mental well-being. My depressive episodes started to lift just a few months into GAPS, and now they are all but gone. My favorite improvement by far, however, has been with my anxiety and panic attacks. It took about a year, but they are about 85% gone, at this point. I can't tell you how wonderful it feels to have some relief from this torment for the first time in over ten years (most of my adult life).

It should be obvious, but in case it's not, this protocol is not (nor does it claim to be) a quick-fix. I've had gut dysbiosis (and many, many rounds of antibiotics) since birth. It takes a long time to undo decades' worth of damage. The diet is only the base, although Dr. Natasha says that for many GAPS folks, the diet alone is enough. In my case, after the infection is gone, I will still need to detox, fix my adrenals completely, get my metabolic hormones back in order, and perhaps chelate. I have no delusions about how long this is going to take.

Thanks to all of you who have commented or contacted me over the past year; it's been wonderful swapping stories and information. I'm very grateful to you all. Here's to continued healing! :)

UPDATE 11/13/13: A lot of healing occurred this year. A lot. I now walk 4-5 miles almost everyday. I am doing so much more than I have in the last few years. I am still quite toxic but can now tolerate an infrared sauna, which is great for detox, every other day. (My adrenals were too weak, and I was so toxic my body could not handle it before.) The little things that used to require so much effort are back to being a routine part of my life, i.e. doing my hair, wearing make-up, etc. I feel more like my old self than I have in a long, long time. Occasionally, I feel even better than I remembered. There are still periods every few weeks of fatigue and die-off, where my IBS symptoms act up, anxiety and brain fog skyrocket, and I feel rough. But I haven't had one panic attack! What I (and my fella) are most excited about is I actually get to celebrate the holidays this year! I missed out on them the past two years, so I'm making up for that. Lots of GAPS baking and so forth. I have read most of the other reviews here, and I am so happy about and moved by how much this diet is helping people with chronic, so-called "untreatable" conditions. My thoughts are with all of you, and I want to wish everyone happy holidays!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, April 30, 2008
Barbara Geatches (Alexandria, VA USA) - See all my reviews
When I first saw this book, I had no interest in reading it. After all, I wasn't dealing with any of the conditions listed in the subtitle and neither was anyone in my immediate family. However, I briefly heard Dr. Campbell-McBride speak at a Weston Price Conference and realized that it might be more applicable (and interesting) than I thought. I'm so glad I ordered it. This has to be one of the best books I've read on health and nutrition.

I think the author has done a disservice in choosing the subtitle as she did. The reality is if you are concerned about your health and how to stay healthy, this book is relevant. And for those that eat a western diet and are exposed to environment toxins, this book may very well be an answer to prayer.

She does an incredible job explaining how the digestive system works and how it can become damaged by the foods we eat and the environment we are exposed to (and it's passed on to future generations). She also explains how different illnesses and conditions occur and why, as well as what can be done to help repair the digestive system and improve overall health.

This is a must read book for ANYONE concerned with their health and how to stay healthy. It's also an important book for all parents, regardless of the health of their children, especially given the diet that is acceptable in today's world.

5.0 out of 5 stars This just makes so much sense., July 30, 2011
My husband on his own discovered a lot of these same principles and healed himself a few years ago. When we heard about this, we were surprised with how much the GAPS diet had in common with what he was doing.

Now, I've ordered the book and I've read a lot of it and it really makes sense. I am planning to start the diet and see if it can help me in a variety of ways.

The book contains a lot of research and good information, and it seems very credible. The information is presented in a way that makes sense to non-scientists.

If you're new to this, there is a series of YouTube videos with the author, and that is worth watching. (There are also many before & after videos of people who have done this program.) There is also a really interesting set of videos and an interview on the CHEESESLAVE blog; you can Google that.

I had waited to buy the book, because it is fairly expensive, but I am really glad that I bought it. After I started actually reading the book, I ordered a second copy to give to a friend of mine who has an Autistic child. I hope she will read it.

This book doesn't suggest anything magical; it does take time and work to prepare food that is good for us, BUT I think these principles are correct, and I think this will be worthwhile.

EDIT 7/31/11: Also, I noticed Amazon lists this book as out of print, but it is not. You order it through the author's website, and it cost me $35 including shipping (in the US).

EDIT 1/18/12: I realized I never updated my review to let people know whether I have seen any benefit from the GAPS diet. I have! I did the diet last summer and fall, primarily to hopefully help with my ADHD. After about 3 weeks of the full diet (I skipped the intro diet) I started to see some improvement in my ability to focus, and after about 6 weeks my improvement was very obvious to my husband and I. I just kept getting so much done! Then, I got pregnant, and I had pretty bad morning sickness all day every day, so I stopped doing GAPS and switched to the "Things that sound like they won't make me nauseous Diet". Now, it's been a few months and my morning sickness is gone. I think most of the benefit I saw from GAPS is gone too, which is not surprising, since 1 1/2 - 2 years is the recommended amount of time to see lasting results, and I only did it for a few months. Now I am planning to start back up on GAPS again, though, to help me with my attention again, and because it's probably the best thing I can do for this baby.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful, July 24, 2013
Babs McBee (Silver Spring, MD) - See all my reviews
I followed this diet for over two years and initially saw great improvements in my digestion and overall health, but like some of the other reviewers, the diet also caused me to develop some health problems. After about 6 months on the diet I reached my peak I felt great, had lots of energy, and was having normal bowel movements after years of diarrhea, but I started going down hill from there, having constipation, low energy, and severe mood swings. Instead of listening to my body screaming at me that this diet was no longer working, I blindly refused to let go of the idea that this was the "perfect" diet, and assumed that I was doing something wrong and just needed to do the diet more intensely, I tried going back through the intro, doing more broth, more fat, more pro-biotic foods, but just continued to get worse. I finally reached a state of anorexia, not because I was deliberately trying not to eat, but because all food was completely unappealing to me. It was around this time that I heard an interview with Matt Stone of 180 degree health, and decided to give his recommendations for increasing metabolic rate a try. I'm glad to say I'm doing significantly better now, I have a good appetite, a lot more energy, better digestion, and more stable moods. Looking back on GAPS I can't say the diet is completely worthless for everyone, it certainly has the ability to make some powerful changes to the human body, but I do believe that most people could probably achieve the health results they are looking to get from GAPS through other less difficult and less risky means, and that GAPS should really be used as a very last resort. And if anyone reading this does decide to try GAPS, I strongly recommend adding starches back into your diet as soon as you start having normal stools and not waiting 6 months or longer like Dr. Natasha recommends, I think I might have been alright if I had stopped sooner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good....but......, October 10, 2013
I struggled with whether to rate this book with 3 stars or 4 stars. I wound up going with 4 stars.

My daughter and I started the diet in October 2012. We have been on the diet for 1 year now. We started from a point where we were already eating commercialized "organic" food. My daughter did eat meat prior to us starting the diet. But I had been a vegetarian for over 20 years. I initially picked up this book because it had been getting discussion on an autism parenting group that I belong to. I started to learn about the diet by reading information online, then decided it was potentially worth pursuing further and purchased the book. The intention was to try the diet for my daughter, who had just turned 7 at the time we started the diet. Even though I had been a vegetarian for so many years, I wanted to support her by doing the diet with her.

However, as I read the book, I realized that I needed to try this diet for my own issues as well, extreme PMS and major digestive issues (which turned out to be ulcerative colitis, as diagnosed via colonoscopy 3 months after I had started the diet).

We started the full diet with the larger variety of food in October. We started the restrictive, elimination portion of the diet (Intro Diet) the 2nd half of December. A year later and we are still in what I would consider to be Intro Diet. Not due to obvious food reactions (still haven't figured out anything specific we might be sensitive to). We eat almost everything on the full diet other than the Navy Beans and Lentils. However, we don't eat honey other than rarely. And only have 2 small portions of low sugar fruit per day. We are both still struggling with yeast overgrowth. There are a few other foods we typically don't eat much of either, based on working with a Nurse Practitioner who is also GAPS Certified.

A year into the diet and not one of my daughter's autism symptoms is better. However, there have been other issues that have disappeared. She used to have consistently rashy private parts. She has been to a number of medical doctors and had the area swabbed and analyzed numerous times resulting in being told "some girls just get that" and being told to use anything from vaseline to diaper rash cream to being given a prescription for anti fungal cream or being told to use over the counter anti fungal cream. When we started the diet in October, the rash started to become more intermittent. A week after starting Intro Diet, the rash disappeared. We haven't seen it since.

My daughter was sick with strep throat multiple times a year as well as extreme sinus issues. She was on multiple rounds of antibiotics each year. But the sinus issues were just getting worse. The doctors were urging us to have her tonsils and adenoids removed, yet could not guarantee that would solve the issue. A few weeks after starting the full diet, we started to see improvement in the sinus issues. They disappeared a few weeks after starting Intro Diet. This summer, my daughter came into direct skin to skin contact with at least 2 children that wound up having strep throat. She never got it.

I have no doubt that this diet has helped improve her immune system. But has not helped with the autism.

As for me, I used to get sick a lot too. I have been less sick. After I got my colitis diagnosis, I held off taking the medication for 4.5 months, thinking that the diet would "cure" me. Well, I got worse and worse to the point where all I was eating was broth and chicken and fats. I couldn't tolerate anything else and was looking like a walking skeleton. I was very weak and barely functioning. I wound up going on the colitis medication, which helped some. And then I recently started a high dose of prescription probiotics, which has helped even more. I believe in my heart that the diet is helping me (as I haven't been sick with contagious illnesses like I was before). But as far as healing the colitis, I needed additional support. I don't know if the diet will heal the colitis. I am certain that if I was eating a Standard American Diet, I'd be worse off. And it is possible with the support of the medication and probiotics, as well as some other more targeted things I'm doing, maybe I will heal and not need the medication at some point in the future.

So these are the reasons why I wound up giving this diet book 4 stars. The reason why I would give this book only 3 stars is for the tone of the book. The book leads you to believe that this is a miracle cure. The book's tone is that this diet so simple and easy. And it is not. This diet is HARD. It is a LOT of work. I spend huge amounts of time in the kitchen day and night. Just for my daughter and me, I typically have 3 loads of dishes in the dishwasher throughout the day, plus all the things that need to be hand washed. When we were on Intro Diet, I would have between 3 and 5 loads of dishwasher dishes going plus all the things that had to be hand washed. Of course, some of that is also due to my daughter not necessarily eating the same thing in the same way week after week. If it were just me, I wouldn't necessarily be spending the extra time on some of the things I do for her, being that she is a child. However, I know a few adults that are on this diet without the considerations of a child, and they also complain about the work it takes, and the several loads of dishes to clean each day. There are some concepts in the book that are not entirely clear, such as information on dairy, and that all of the nut based recipes are very supplemental (a lot of people tend to over do it with eating nut butter/nut flour "treats").

The diet book, as all diet books would be, is generic. Which is another reason that this is not a one size fits all diet. This is why, after starting the Intro Diet (about 4 months total of being on GAPS), I sought out the expertise of an actual medical practitioner who also had GAPS Certification. Somebody with actual medical training, knowledgeable about this diet is very difficult to find. And very costly as well, and not often covered by medical insurance. However, I recognized that we needed more customized information, backed by medical testing. I wish that Dr. Natasha (author of GAPS Diet), would stress that it can be beneficial to seek out additional, more personalized medical advice. The book is presented as if you do these steps in this order, most people will be cured.

The book itself is not a stand alone resource either. There is an additional website with more up to date information that needs to be checked fairly often for updates. For instance, when we first started this diet and even at the beginning of the year, there was no mention about the possibility of needing to stay on Stage 2 of Intro Diet for 6+ months. So now we have moved so far along on the diet and I looked back at that FAQ and Dr. Natasha is now claiming that for certain things, you will need to stay on Intro Diet for 6+ months. How in the world do you explain to an 8 year old child who has been slowly going through Intro Diet and has been doing this for a year that you are going to have to backtrack and spend 6+ months only eating broth, boiled meats and boiled vegetables, and raw egg yolks. The answer is that you can't. So why wasn't this information either in the book or in the FAQ section 6 months ago? This diet is very emotional and I find that even being farther along on it that I tend to have low morale with all the work and being exhausted with it. Children on this diet are are continuously exposed to situations where other kids are eating all kinds of things they can not eat and some kids even get teased/bullied for their healthy food. I could see being able to backtrack or even first stay in Stage 2 of Intro if you have a very young child like toddler aged or maybe even up to age 3 or 4 and who is at home all day and not in child care or preschool. Or if the child is old enough to perhaps make some serious decisions on their own (don't know at what age that would be...junior high??? high school???). When we initially started this diet, the information was to move through the stages once you no longer see "reactions" or symptoms improve. So for my daughter, she moved through the first few stages on the diet rather swiftly. With staying in Stage 3, 4, 5 for longer periods. A few weeks in Stage 3, many weeks in Stage 4, and several months in Stage 5. We added in new foods one at a time and waited 4 to 7 days in between introducing anything new. At times I wasn't sure if there was a reactions, so I would remove an item, not add anything new for at least a week, and then retry that food item. And now all of the sudden the information is that if certain things have not improved, go back and stay in Stage 2 for 6+ months. I would say that is a rather major piece of information that should have been communicated sooner rather than later.

So to sum things up, the book is absolutely vital to starting the diet. However, the diet may or may not help and certainly might still not cure. Try to seek out knowledgeable medical opinion with a practitioner either certified in GAPS or familiar with it and get personalized advice and appropriately targeted medical testing. Realize that the book is not "stand alone" and stay current with the supplemental information located online:
[...]
[...]

Lastly, the book draws heavily from the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet), so it is sometimes beneficial for some people to read the SCD book. And, it is important to know that the diet also draws heavily from Traditional Dietary guidelines as put forth by the Weston A. Price Foundation (google that), along with the cookbook Nourishing Traditions (can be found on amazon). If you are having a difficult time sourcing pure foods, you can contact a Weston A. Price Foundation chapter leader (as listed on their website). Another good resource is Paleo Diet. Although not specifically addressing the same issues, there are many more Paleo blogs with recipes online than GAPS. Paleo recipes sometimes require some easy modification of either leaving out an ingredient or two or substituting. Good luck....

5.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately, completely correct., April 3, 2009
My daughter's MD recommended I read this book to help my daughter's eczema. I resisted. I didn't want another restrictive diet for her. We'd already tried a restrictive allergy diet and if anything it made her condition worse, plus was so hard to administer. But eventually daughter number two also started getting eczema, which scared the heck out of me. It had been so many years since I was allowed to sleep through the night... having the situation get worse was not acceptable. So after a few more months of procrastinating I got the book and read it, hoping it would be utter nonsense that I could then disregard. It wasn't nonsense. Even my mother--who loves whole grains and is just as skeptical a reader as I am--agreed that it made sense. So we tried the diet in the book for both kids and for myself too, so I could see what it was like. In one month daughter number two's eczema went away. My first daughter is still on the diet and is getting better skin and is sleeping much better than she has in years (yay!!). For myself, I didn't notice any difference at all in the way I felt on the diet. But I'm healthy, so the diet's not really made for me I guess.

The diet in this book is difficult to administer. You should know that from the beginning. It means completely changing the way you look at meals. And you need to put some effort into home food preparation because nothing commercially prepared will suit the diet. I wish that there were an easier way to help sick kids whose whole body and mind are not functioning correctly. But there isn't. This was the right thing to do for my kids. I would highly recommend it for other tricky cases that haven't resolved easily with all the simple, common treatments out there.

If you do try this diet, I also recommend getting an SCD cookbook. The recipes in the GAPS book are just so-so. But there are a few SCD cookbooks out there with really stellar recipes. I actually made an almond flour birthday cake for my daughter from one (by Raman Prasad, or something like that? I forget the name.) and everyone at the party was shocked at how immensely tasty it was. It was by far the most popular cake I'd ever baked, and I'm a pretty popular baker.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hope for eczema, constipation, celiacs, food allergies, and more!, August 31, 2009
lattebreak (Quad Cities, IL) - See all my reviews
This is definitely one of my favorite books. I read it all in one day... I couldn't put it down! All I did that day was feed my 3 children meals and read. It was so worth it. I have had eczema all my life, as my mother and grandmother had, and my daughter also got about 6 weeks after she was born. I tried a number of natural remedies to help my daughter's eczema (which covered her legs and itched), including a gluten-free diet, oils, creams, and digestive enzymes, but at 18 months her eczema had still not cleared. This book explained why. It's an inability to digest, caused by a lack of good bacteria, which babies are supposed to get from their mothers while going through the birth canal and through breast milk in the first 2 months of life. Though I had given birth vaginally and breastfed, I didn't have enough good bacteria to pass along to her sterile newborn body (since my mother didn't have enough to pass along to me) and so the good bacteria didn't cultivate and left her vulnerable to bad bacteria and yeast, causing her eczema to appear at 6 weeks. Eventually she developed other symptoms like poor sleep and constipation, also signs of an inability to digest and an overload of toxins from the bad bacteria and a plugged-up colon. For quite a while I have been feeding her a similar diet to the one recommended in the book, but when I added the probiotics that Dr. Campbell-Mcbride helped to develop my daughter's constipation disappeared within a few days and her skin cleared up within a week. I'm amazed! Her skin hasn't looked this good since she was a newborn! She is also much happier and sleeping better. She is finally digesting her food! I have also begun taking the probiotics for my similar problems. I can tell I'm finally digesting my food also. What a relief! I am passing the book around to about 10 people that I know it would help. It's not just for parents of autistic children. It's for all the people (which is half of the population) who are constipated and irritable. It's definitely worth the read! I should add that I am not new to nutrition. I have been studying nutrition for 12 years (it was part of my major in college) but until this book I never really understood the digestive system. It is well-explained and thorough, but easy enough for someone who doesn't have much nutritional knowledge to understand.

Another thing that I love about this book is that it gives me hope of eating gluten again. I have been gluten-free for several years because my skin was clearer and I felt better, and I assumed that I would have to be gluten-free for life. However, according to the book, after the diet is maintained for 6 months-2 years (depending on the severity of your condition) the microvilli in the intestine heal and the intestines are able to digest gluten again. That's so exciting!

UPDATE: After writing the above review I put my two sons on the diet also, and my children and I have since completed the GAPS diet. We stayed on it for 8 months. My daughter no longer has eczema and has regular, easy bowel movements (before GAPS she only eliminated about every 4 days, and it was extremely difficult and painful). My oldest son (8) was lactose intollerant before the diet and is now able to digest milk. My middle son wet the bed until he was almost 5. He had no other signs of digestive distress or gut dysbiosis. I figured out the bacterial connection, which Dr. Campbell-Mcbride doesn't specifically address in the book. After putting him on the diet and giving him a probiotic dose of 130 billion/day, he was dry within a month and hasn't wet the bed since (a year later). The behavior of all three children has markedly improved, and they are much happier overall. And why wouldn't they be? I'm cranky myself if I don't feel well! I continue to take probiotics and give them to my children to maintain the gut health we have achieved. I also continue to feed them a healthy diet from scratch, free of as much junk food as possible (although we certainly aren't perfect). Other than that the children have returned to a normal diet. I continue to be careful, as I have been dealing with this a lot longer than they have and adults don't recover as quickly as children do.

If you are hesitating to take the plunge because the diet is completely overwhelming, take heart. Once you get started it isn't so bad. And the benefits FAR outweigh the temporary inconvenience. You can do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars First Choice for Understanding How to Heal Autoimmunes and Food Allergies!, May 27, 2008
N. Orlovsky (WI, United States) - See all my reviews
If I had to chose 1 book for understanding my body better and how to heal my autoimmune diseases (of which I have MANY) and gluten issues, this would be it! Although it is not yet easily available in the US, I would recommend hunting it down. It would be really nice if Amazon started carrying it, as I know numerous people who are trying to get copies of this book (published in the UK). HINT HINT HINT

I would have to agree with the previous review that the author does do a disservice to the book by listing only a few of the major diseases or problems that this book can help. Autoimmune issues are huge and becoming more and more common and so are food allergies. They should most definitely be listed on the front cover as well, as they are explained in the book too!

The book explains how to determine if your body is digesting fats appropriately and what to do if it isn't. It explains about good fats and bad fats, how your digestive system works, why we need probiotics (what kind and when to take them), digestive enzymes and who needs them and why, why some people get brain fog, or can't digest glutens and foods with casein, lists of good foods and bad foods for changing your diet, and so much more.

It is written so that anyone can easily understand it and the diagrams/sketchs are most helpful in getting the visual of the processes! As I read it, I just couldn't believe how often she was describing me and all of my health issues. Excellent Book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!, April 12, 2011
I am a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner who over the past 5 years has changed the way I do my practice to a way more holistic approach. This book was recommended by a colleague and is well worth the money! Great information, well written and is a book that should be read by every medical provider.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best news for me since 1982, July 31, 2010
stand2fish "standing" (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
Gut and Psychology Syndrome. This is the science behind Dr. Mark Hyman MD'S The Ultra Mind Solution. Following these principles, under my medical doctor's supervision, I have weened off all psychiatric medications for nearly the past 10 months. I had been under a psychiatrist's care since 1982 and have been on most of the meds used for Bipolar 11 Disorder. Now, I have no depression, no foggy brain, no side effects, a great sex life, no anxiety, and hope to get off disability sometime soon. People need to take control of their own health and use their own will power. After electric shock treatments and acupuncture and years of nonfunctioning it was surprizing to me that our gut actually produces most of the Seretonin used by the brain. I wish I would have found this earlier. My wife and kids are amazed to "have me back." 58 year old professional male.

This is a major indictment against the entire psychiatric community and welcome relief to millions of fellow sufferers who are tired of being guinea pigs under the supervision of their psychiatrists who just prescribe more and more combinations of mind numbing drugs with little hope of ever overcoming their "mental illnesses." This Gut stuff is real. It works. Finally hope for the rest of us.

Used & New from: $24.83