5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT
Published on March 2, 2008 by Madeline E. Washington

2.0 out of 5 stars Installed in my home, and I'm disappointed
Published on November 22, 2009 by D. Wood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Installed in my home, and I'm disappointed, November 22, 2009
This review is from: GutterBrush Gutter Guard 120 ft. House Pack for Standard 5 In. Rain Gutters
I live in Georgia, the a relatively wooded area and I installed GutterBrushes towards the end of last fall, after cleaning the leaves out of the gutters. At first, they seemed pretty good, keeping a good part of the leaves out of the gutters. I will say though that a lot of leaves still do get caught in the brushes, causing them to stick up and look kind of odd, all slotted in them. However, they were doing their job so all was forgiven. The big issue came in the Spring when the pine pollen season ended and all of the debris from the trees, the pollen "pods" stated to collect in the brushed, clogging the brush sections closest to the roof. Now that debris seems to hold onto leaves so I'm noticing more and more collecting on top of the brushes, which probably isn't good.

Bottom line, I wasn't expecting a miracle here, but I expected more when I spent nearly 900.00 on them in my gutters. In then end, I'll still have to make the annual tip up the ladder, only this time it's to clear the crud from the brushes. These make work if you live in a area with mostly/all hard woods and have a small to moderate number of trees. But if you're around a lot of pines, or have lots of trees, these may not perform to your expectations. They didn't for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Gutter brushes don't work, February 1, 2012
James Farr (Land O Lakes, FL, US) - See all my reviews
I bought these brushes for my whole house. I have large oak trees. The brushes don't work. They leaves fall into the gutters anyway. I still had to clean my gutters 2 times a year, but the brushes made it harder to do. To do a good job I would have to remove the brushes to get all the debris that fell under the brushes. This made cleaning the gutters even more work. I used them for a year and finally just removed them. It is easier to clean the gutters by hand. Good idea, but it doesn't work.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT, March 2, 2008
We've had these on our house for a year and they are everything promised. Installation was a breeze. Only problem we had was we choose a freezing cold day. Simply because we wanted to get them right up. Hubby was trying to make a big production out of the instal as he couldn't believe it could be that simple. It's been a year now and they work perfectly. I'd recommend them to anyone. How happy am I that my husband no longer has to get up on the ladder and do the gutters? VERY HAPPY.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommend for pine needles, June 8, 2013
I live in South Carolina where you have tall pine trees with lots of needles. I installed gutter brushes thinking it would help with keeping guttersclean well I was wrong it created more work for me now each time I have to clean the gutters now I have to clean the needles out of the brushes , so I would not recommend these if pine needles are your gutter problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works for the big leaves, maple seeds stick in the bristles then grow!, June 27, 2013
Installed these almost three years ago. The large maple tree leaves do not get stuck in brushes and do blow away or get washed out of the bristles. The maple tree "helicopter style seeds" get stuck in the brushes and eventually start growing. This necessitates getting up on a ladder to remove the seedlings and while up there to remove the brushes to clean leave debris that clogs the gutters under the brush. Perhaps the design could be improved by covering the brushes with a fine screen material like panty hose mesh but more coarse to allow water to pass more easily. Sad to say, I currently have to clean gutters at least once a year, the gutter brushes are a real pain to remove, especially from under the gutter support struts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - especially for pine needles, July 22, 2013
I'm not sure what problem the other reviewer had with his pine needles, but the gutter brush was the answer to my 12 year gutter pine needle problems. My house is under a whole bunch of pine trees and no other solution I tried worked with them. So, I did a test with the gutter brush 13 months ago on half my gutters and have only had to clean the brushes out once so far - just yesterday. And even without cleaning it out, the rain still flowed through the brushes for good water flow even though the tops of the brushes were caked with pine needles. Yes, the pine needles have to be cleaned out of the brushes eventually, like the manufacturer's video says on their web site. But, not only is it extrememly easy to do that (just pull out the brushes, shake and then put them back in), but that's a heck of a lot better than the much more difficult job I previously had to do 4-5 times a year of cleaning out the completely stopped up gutters that interferred with rain flow. It's a great product that solved my gutter problems. I just ordered more gutter brushes to take care of the other half of my gutters.

2.0 out of 5 stars Works but other problems, July 7, 2013
Dennis Kelly (MONROEVILLE, PA, US) - See all my reviews
Easy installation however they have to be shaken out at least once a year which requires getting up on the ladder, removing gutter brushes and shaking off all the stuck leaves and seeds and whatever else has stuck to them before reinserting the brushes in the gutter. In my case, the gutters have overflowed in heavy downpours I feel due to the extra space taken up by the brushes. Since I have to get up on a ladder anyway to shake out leaves and seeds it defeats the purpose of my buying these in the first place which was not to have to do anything. For the price I paid, I could have paid to have my gutters cleaned for 10 years.

3.0 out of 5 stars BuckeyeGuy, June 30, 2013
It really all depends on how much and what you have falling if these are to work. I have two different houses in NE Ohio with them and even on different sides of each house the result is different. On ALL sides, there's the small stuff that doesn't blow off the brushes, settles into them instead and/or settles beneath the brushes themselves. In all cases, even where the brushes keep the big stuff out, there's crud that gets through and doesn't rinse out. In all instances the brushes need to be removed and the gutter rinsed of the crud. Some brushes are full of crap and some aren't. One thing that's positive is that if you clean the brushes in the fall, they do result in a "dry" gutter throughout the winter rather than one filled with ice and that's a positive because for the most part any water flows out and the black color helps absorb some heat and thus melt things.

Overall, you may not make as many trips up the ladder - you can go longer than you normally would - but when you do, you will have a tougher job than you would expect. Whether the reduction in trips is therefore better than the trip(s) you would make otherwise or the trips you make with them depends again on the trees, silt, crap, and whether the brushes keep it out, capture it, or hide it under them in the bottom of the gutter. No question it keeps the leaves out but there's soooooooo much more than leaves falling into a gutter. They've certainly made me realize that!

4.0 out of 5 stars a great help, June 5, 2014
Put GutterBrush up a year ago. We have a huge honey locust tree close to the house that in fall drops millions of small leaves. Most wound up on the ground instead of clogging the gutters. The small amount that got stuck in the top of the brushes was easily removed using my shop vac with an extension-no ladder work as the gutters are low enough to reach from the ground. My neighbors two maple trees are also huge & almost no leaves got trapped. Now his trees are shedding their "helicopter seeds" by the bushel, yes some are stuck in the bristles, but again the old shop vac will take care of them. They were so simple to install & now I climb the ladder twice a year instead of four or five. The bottoms of the gutters are clean enough to let the water flow without any worries.For a retired guy who just can't drag out a ladder & climb it alot , they are a godsend. The $500.00 I spent to do the gutters on our 3 bedroom rambler was well spent!

2.0 out of 5 stars NOT for Locust Trees!, October 21, 2013
Very simple to install. Concept seems simple enough, and I suppose it is a successful concept for trees with larger leaves, like maples, oaks, etc. However, we have a medium/large Moraine Locust - a very tiny-leafed tree. The tiny leaves work their way right through the bristles and end up clogging the gutter, nearly as quickly as without the Gutter Brush. So, now, not only do I have to get up on the ladder to clean out the gutters, but I have to pull the brushes out, shake them and re-install them. Next time, I probably won't re-install. Plus, those tiny locust leaves form along a central TV-antenna-shaped main stem with 3 or 4 lateral crossing stems (like an old telegraph pole along the railroads). When the leaves fall off those stems, the naked stems get caught in the top of the gutter brushes, and build-up and stick-up over the tops of the gutters. Looks like my gutters are growing hair or something!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›