Safety Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Jake Gyllenhaal's Jack Twist per review by Andrew J Dobrow

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2006 8:17:26 AM PST
Mr Dobrow said that Jake Gyllenhaal's performance was "annoyingly static, while it should have been dynamic". I disagree, I saw a man whose dynamism and exuberance has become BEATEN DOWN, by his lover's inability to embrace their love. To me it was well played, and portrayed as more than just the 19 yr old's maturing, but rather someone whose spirit has been broken.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 9, 2006 3:14:00 AM PDT
I think both performers did a wonderful job. Sad they didn't get the Oscar.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2006 10:21:42 PM PDT
Moni says:
Donna Delaune: <<I saw a man whose dynamism and exuberance has become BEATEN DOWN, by his lover's inability to embrace their love. To me it was well played, and portrayed as more than just the 19 yr old's maturing, but rather someone whose spirit has been broken.>>

Amen.

LOL! Could Mr. Dobrow be watching too many action movies...?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2006 1:34:44 PM PDT
Caryn says:
I disagree with Mr. Dobrow as well. In fact, I thought Jake G. did an incredible job of playing Jack. And watching him through the years, being rebuffed by Ennis, become more and more of a broken man, was wonderfully exuded by Jake G. as Jack. I really thought Jake did an incredible job of bringing Jack to life, as Heath did with Ennis. Without both of their performances, this movie is not believable. Jake was able to express so much of Jack through his eyes, that I was mesmerized. I was really more surprised at how good Jake's performance was, since I heard so much about Heath's performance before I ever saw the movie. Jake WAS dynamic as Jack. Jack was brought to life by Jake G. and I think it was a career performance.

They deserved co-oscars.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2006 6:43:59 AM PDT
M. FUSCO says:
Jack Twist was disappointed and tragically tormented over Ennis' inability to give more than he could, but he was certainly not a 'broken man'. Far from it. Rather, he grew into a self-assured and courageous man over the course of the film. Jack stood up strongly and unequivocally to Lureen's insulting, bullying father at Thanksgiving dinner, and later to Ennis himself when thretened about his Mexican 'activities'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 5, 2006 9:20:21 AM PDT
Movie Man says:
Hear, hear. Ms. Delaune! The fact that Jake was beaten down was made clear by his tears when Ennis rebuffed him on the post-diveroce visit, by Jake's visit to Mexico, and by the pain that Jake expressed in not being able to survive on the few short encounters with Ennis. The juxtaposition between the flashback scence in which Ennis hugs Jack at Brokeback Mountain--where Jack's face is flush with love--and the ensuing return to the present, where Jack sees Ennis drive away for the last time and his face looks cold and hollow--communicates that Jack is a broken man. And we should all remember that in her phone conversation with Ennis, Lureen mentions that Jack "drank a lot." What is this drinking, but the action of a broken man medicating himself? Gyllenhaal presented this exceptionally well!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Mar 27, 2006
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about