4.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with this air-mouse
Published on May 21, 2010 by AJV4U2C

2.0 out of 5 stars Had an older version which I loved.. This one sucks.
The company has changed something about the product, but still markets it as the same model. The new version is horrible, to say the least.
Battery life is awful.
Range is abysmal, it drops connection randomly, and lags extremely even at close(2-3 feet) range.
Published 12 months ago by Dakota

4.0 out of 5 stars Can't go wrong with this air-mouse, May 21, 2010
This review is from: Gyration Wireless Air Mouse GO Plus GYM1100NA (Personal Computers)
The first thing I noticed about this mouse when I opened the package was that it was smaller and sleeker than I originally anticipated. This was a good thing because I did not want something that would rival the size of my remote control. I spent about 2 weeks deliberating this purchase because I wasn't sure which air-mouse to purchase (this one, Logitech MX Air, Gyration Air Mouse Elite, Gyration 2100, etc.). The characteristic that sold me over was the shape of this mouse.

After doing countless reviews of the other air mouses, I noticed many people complaining about the awkward shape of their air-mouse mouse when using it as an air-mouse. I must say, hands down, I love the shape of this mouse! It's a hybrid between a remote control and a Wii Nunchuck. It perfectly contours in my hand, and the ergonomic shape was my ultimate dealbreaker.

The sensitivity and overall accuracy of the sensors is great. The learning curve took me about one whole day to get accustomed to using. And after about a week, I swear I should be in the next Harry Potter movie because I'm a flatout magician waving this thing like my personal wand. Battery life is great; I've used it for 5-6 hours at a time without charging it and it still doesn't require a charge.

A GREAT feature about this mouse is that the orientation of the mouse doesn't not matter when using it as an air-mouse. I can be pointing the mouse up towards the sky, down in the ground, wrist turned in, wrist turned out, or lying slanted on my chest and the left/right perception of the pointer will not be disoriented. This is absolutely fantastic.

Another two great features that this mouse has to offer are programmable buttons as well as programmable gestures (like "left swipe") that allow the user to open numerous programs or window functions.

The only gripe I have with this mouse is that the double-click locking feature that allows this mouse to remain an air-mouse often unlocks, meaning that I have to double-click the trigger button again to keep it as an air-mouse. However, my friend who also owns this mouse doesn't have this problem. In all, it's not a big deal. I wish I bought this mouse years ago. Hands down, it's the best purchase I've made from a convenience point of view in a long time. And if you spend a lot of time working on the computer like I do, I don't mind spending money if it makes doing my work a little more comfortable.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, from the leader of this technology, March 7, 2009
I am a teacher who uses this in the classroom. I used to use a green laser pointer (green is tremendously brighter than red), but these are very fragile.

With this, I can walk around the room, using a Powerpoint, and use the mouse cursor as a pointer. The hand motion is quite fluid and intuitive. It took about 15 minutes to get the hang of it. The key was rotating the wrist rather than pointing at the screen.

The good:
1) vastly better than a pointer.
2) much better than a slide advancer type of controller.
3) it does not dominate a presentation; it complements it.
4) the size, weight and format is ideal.

The bad:
1) a new user would not be able to just pick this up and start talking, it does require a short learning period. I am told that some do not find this motion as intuitive as I found it.

2) The battery is non-standard and a replacement is not readily available. (all vendors, including Gyration, are sold out)

3) If it is not charged you are out of luck. A shell to hold AA or AAA batteries would really help.

4) The battery life is sub-optimal

5) the RF receiver would benefit from a clip to hook it to something, to that it does not get lost. Another model from Gyration has an internal storage compartment

6) The device itself could use holster. When preoccupied with a discussion, it is too easy to put it down then wonder away. It is a bit bulky for your pocket

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect in the right application., August 23, 2009
googull (Redmond, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I own two of these with the companion keyboards to navigate and pilot my boat across 3 displays. I don't have a flat surface so an air mouse was my preferred option.

Don't buy an Air Mouse from any manufacturer for general desktop use unless you have no desktop! These products do have a learning curve and none of them work as precisely and easily as a dedicated desktop pointing device. Once learned though I now command my desktop with the wave my hand almost as quickly as I do with on the desk. The Gyration product doubles as both an air mouse and a desktop mouse so when a flat surface is available viola! There is a button on the mouse that must pressed when you want to move the pointer on screen while in Air-Mode. Thank goodness, otherwise every hand motion would move the pointer! The supplied driver includes features to define tasks, open apps, locate the pointer, all very useful and easy to assign - no programming required.

The device is heat sensitive, so if left in the sun they stop working until cooled. Also the 100' broadcast isn't as strong as I had hoped so about mid-day the mouse motion sometimes becomes intermittent even when I am only 20' away through a single wall. In fact one of my devices is rated for 30' and the other for 100' and I really can't tell the difference when swapped.

Otherwise, I love them as they are my daily work horse and have been aboard for the last (2 years) ~3500 nautical miles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, January 21, 2011
I've had this mouse for six years and the battery is waning but still functional. I've dropped it a few times and it still works. The learning curve is short - most people who stop by my cube can pick up the basics in a few minutes, being proficient takes a few hours. While you're learning it can also be used as a desk-mouse. Tremendous help to my borderline carpel tunnel. Highly recomended for reducing wrist strain.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item, November 3, 2010
Great item simple as that. Arrived intact secure in a fitting box, buttons are crisp feeling and set well. The only thing, almost not even worth mentioning, is the mouse sits a little loose on the charger. But unless you have cats bouncing around your house you'll be fine.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had an older version which I loved.. This one sucks., October 12, 2013
Battery life is awful.
The old and new charger are not compatible; the old charged quickly with a wall charger, the new, very slowly with a USB adapter. This makes finding a universal power supply more difficult as well- (despite the fact that the 'U' in "USB" means 'universal', lol).
I loved the old version of the product, which is why I bought this one.. i am absolutely disappointing with this product as of now. I will likely never purchase a gyration product again as a result of this experience.
The old one was very nice though, accurate pointing, good range an battery life, very quiet clicking, programmable buttons were very useful as well.

1.0 out of 5 stars Decline in quality, May 16, 2012
Around 2005 I purchased this product in my local store and I found it amazing! Setup was easy, it worked great. The idea of having gyroscope in the mouse is just incredible. Perfect design and perfect implementation. I said "Thank you guys at Gyration!".

Now when I needed similar device for my other HTPC I had no question where to go... Gyration! I went again to the store and bought exactly same model as the last time. When I openeed the box I was slightly disappointed by several changes in the design, like no LED indicating battery charging, no power supply (just USB cable). But these by themselves were still OK. Now the real surprise, it did not work well. The mouse had mechanical problems cousing my coursor to jump all over the screen, I returned the mouse back and bought the new one online - same thing, does not work properly. But I knew it is a god product, so, I tried third one with no luck. Apparently Gyration attempted to make manufacturing cheaper and cheaper and sacrificed the quality of a product, it is imposible to use it now.

I was really disapointed and called their technical Support. Here is the response I've got: "That's a new one on me. I haven't seen the jumping behavior that you are talking about but I am passing the information to our Engineering group to see if they have an answer."
Basically support deminstrated complete ignorance and suggested to return the product back to the store.

This is an example of how good companies become bad companies...

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone, September 4, 2013
Amazon Customer (Chicago, IL United States) - See all my reviews
I had high hopes for this mouse as my arm and wrist have developed problems because I am at a computer allot. The problem with a mouse of this type that you may not realize (and this is not specific to just this brand I would guess) is that 1.) each time you have to stop to type with both hands, you have to put the mouse down. This is a pain if you have to do it allot. And 2.) when you finally move the mouse very precisely between, lets say, two letters, to highlight something for cut/copy, as soon as you click to actually cut, or paste, the whole mouse moves and you miss, This has really been a big problem for me. Also, with this particular brand, I find myself constantly clicking the trigger too fast, (double-clicking the mouse brings it in and out of the mouse move mode, which is either the trigger has to be constantly pressed to mouse the mouse, or it is always moving), and the mouse is always bouncing between the two modes. This causes allot of weird mistakes.

Of course for some of what I said, it may just be that I have not used it with the best technique. I will continue to try different methods of using it....

I guess I am just saying this mouse may not be for everyone - despite the great reviews.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stopped working after a couple of days, August 2, 2013
When I first received this item it worked great for a couple of days. After that it never worked again. I would not recommend this product or the provider to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Responsive mouse I have ever used, July 9, 2012
I have a hand problem,and using a mouse sometimes is a chore. However, I used this mouse at my Daughter's house after my grandson proclaimed it the best mouse ever, used by all his teachers. I had to get one for myself. It was delivered quickly and the price was great. I am loving it...