Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:$2.99

on March 10, 2016
The fun continues in the second book in the H.E.R.O. series. The author has managed to convey a comic book feel to a novel. Actually, it’s better than a comic because the characters are so well developed and even nuanced, plus there is great dialogue and exposition.

Psystar is called upon to use her telepathic abilities to ferret out the location of a kidnapped child. However, when she gets to the location, she learns that the FBI had not even captured the suspect. Taking matters into her own hands, she captures the kidnapper, but gets badly wounded in the process. Psystar seems to have it the roughest of all the heroes. She’s besieged by the thoughts and views of everyone around her, she gets shot an awful lot and every major use of her abilities ends up with her unconscious.

Spartan, Rael and other supers are kidnapped by a group intent on auctioning them off to the highest bidder. They have a telepath who wipes their memories and instills in them a desire to please.

I thought it funny that Lance and Rael kept screwing up and calling Psystar by her real name, Stephanie.

I immediately purchased the 3rd book in the series.
on June 8, 2014
The entire H.E.R.O series available on Amazon
Free ebook version on Amazon- First book in series - H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis

H.E.R.O. - New Markets is the second book in the series by Kevin Rau with the first book, H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis available as an ebook for free on Amazon. New Markets starts off just a few days after the adventures in the first book. The young heroes are still learning about their powers and adjusting to their new lifestyles as superheroes.
In this book Lance and Rael find themselves captured by highly trained soldiers working for an unknown mastermind who plans to wipe their minds and sell them as bodyguards to the highest bidder. I won't spoil the whole story of what happens to them but can tell you their is plenty of action in this book.
One of the things I really enjoy about Kevin Rau's super hero series is the time he spends on what does and doesn't change in the young heroes lives. In this second book Stephanie goes back to college but finds it hard to attend classes since her mindreading powers are always on and can overwhelm her. She quickly finds it impossible to keep her new alter ego and secret with her friends and classmates. There are other fun scenes in this book such as Firebane, who doesn't want to be a superhero full-time and keeps needing to leave to get to her normal job in time. I found this additional character development refreshing because you don't get to see the "normal" part of a superheroes life in many comics books. Of course superheroes are not always flying around saving people or fighting super villains. They have normal lives also.
I rate this book 5 out of 5 because I love the characters and want to continue to see them develop as bot people and superheroes. These stories are highly recommended to anyone who likes superheroes from the comic books and movies. I also think that fans of urban fantasy or fantasy in general will find this series enjoyable and fast paced.
At $2.99 as an ebook the price is excellent and you can get the first book in the series entirely for free so what do you have to lose? Try them, you will like them!

More about this book directly from the author's website:
Following immediately after the events in H.E.R.O. - Metamorphosis, Lance, Stephanie and Rael continue learning and developing their powers. A kidnapping leads them to become involved in the discovery of a new black market involving the capture and sale of supers. Other heroes become involved as some are kidnapped, others attempt to find and free them, and yet others stop crimes and a fire that occur along the way.

A failed attempt to rescue some of the victims leads the group to bring in more established heroes in the form ofGatecrasher and Hellshock, and new hero Firebane joins the team in a final bid to save the victims before they can be auctioned off.

H.E.R.O. - New Markets is a novel set in the H.E.R.O. universe. It explores the powers, life and interpersonal relationships in a way rarely seen in comic books or movies. It is a full-length novel of approximately 125,800 words.
on December 7, 2014
Kevin Rau delivers what he promises -- a fun, evolving story of super powered humans, aliens and the future worlds he sees them building. I particularly enjoy what some of his characters are doing on Mars and look forward to seeing that develop further.

With great power comes great responsibility -- or hideous villainy. Rau does not pull his punches. People die heroically stopping banal evil. Monsters gleefully slaughter innocent bystanders. Criminals with deliberate, murderous intent, ambush heroes. Heroes accidentally break things. Villains accidentally fix things. Mistakes and confusion divide people. Caring and planning bring people together. It's what we might rationally expect from a world where random 'gifts' of super powers can happen to anyone.

Be prepared for a jet sled ride through world-shaking events crammed into a tiny slice of time, snap decisions on incomplete information, nasty wounds, horribly inadequate hydration and 'good enough' solutions for a crazy enjoyable universe.
on June 8, 2015
I both liked and was incredibly frustrated with this book. The story and concept shows a lot of promise, but the writing is wooden. A tight edit to remove unneccessary and excessive words would improve this book immeasurably. Let the reader's imagination do some of the work - don't describe everything in such detail.
on November 29, 2014
Wow! I was never into reading superhero stuff until I have read the books in this series. Now, I cannot get enough of it, Each character is totally believable and fun to follow. Kevin Rau has completed a great piece of fiction with this series. I like the characters better than what Marvel has produced. Way to go!!!!!! A must read.....
on April 28, 2014
Some of the way the characters react to having suddenly acquired super powers is interesting. Overall, the character development seems superficial to me. Things are just a little too 'good'. I think this is an improvement over the first - but unlike the 'Wearing the Cape' series this does not really get me interested in the characters.
on June 27, 2015
Rau still hasn't quite gotten a hold of his style in this second book--there is a sense of amatuerness in the prose--but overall it's a fairly harmless book. If you like super-hero fiction and aren't too picky about how the tale is told, you can do far worse than read this.
on December 19, 2012
I am not quite sure what to put that hasn't already been said.

This was definitely a fresh take on a tired genre. I liked the way the author built his characters and the idea that being a superhero isn't all fun and games.

My only criticism is that the story is a little slow to develop. I appreciate that the author took the time to explain the characters physical and psychological transformations, but the pace bogged down at times.

I should note that I received this book free to review from Amazon.
on June 1, 2014
I have just finished H.E.R.O. New Market. It was better than the first book I must say. I have grown to like the characters but there are just way too many questions that are not answered. Answers to questions that fill in details which would allow one to identify with the characters. These guys become "Supers" and receive no Tactical nor fundamental training... are just out there making it up as they go?! Even a City Dog catcher is trained before allowed to go out into the public. And who Mentors these guys?! I am not an Artist but I know how to color between the lines.
on April 19, 2013
I was sort of surprised to like this book as much as I did. It was recomended to me by someone who said pretty much the same thing to me and she had already gone on to read the rest of the books <G>. The characters are engaging and the plot is well thought out and full of interesting ideas. I have to admit I'd like the parents to have at least dropped in on their semi adult kids to flesh out the history more. But only just finished the 3rd book so maybe that will happen later.