• H10N1

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$3.99

on July 9, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
There is just no way to say how disappointing this book was. While the beginning showed promise and the idea of what would happen in the wake of a global pandemic had the makings of a good plot, this story line started getting less and less interesting about a third of a way through the book when it became clear that the pandemic was no longer the focus of the story.

I kept thinking that at some point the characters would be led back to the original storyline but instead the writer threw everything and the kitchen sink into the plot. Maybe the idea was to confuse things but over the next few chapters we were introduced to: bikers itching for a fight, rocket launchers, a house collapse, stolen motor home, Really nasty moonshine made from sweet potatoes, a forest fire, septic tank clean-out truck adapted to carry fuel, biosphere, rice paddie, and on and on. None of them helped the story hang together, that is for sure!

Even at that point I tried to give the book a fair shot; and then the sexist language, four letter words and lecherous behavior started. Give me a break.

What a total waste of time. I stopped reading when a character hires leather clad cowboys to get his revenge on some of the virus survivors. That was the last straw for me; mark this one a disappointing waste. I have no idea how it has almost 4 stars from any reader. And it really had next to nothing to do with a pandemic. Bad; very bad; and it makes it into my "Groaningly Bad" category.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2011
Format: Kindle Edition
H10N1
By Marsha Cornelius

The world is hit by a killer virus H10-N1, (AGAIN) the main characters are this CDC (centre for disease control) Doctor Sanchez and this driver Rick DeAngelo. Rick the driver at this emergency medical centre in New York turns out to be this highly resourceful chap, the kind of guy to have around at the end of the world kind.

Rick teams up with doctor Sanchez, and they set out on this quest of adventure and survival in a stolen van, (yes the doctor steals a van).

They encounter along the way zombie like walking dead, (victims of the virus) dogs, snipers and pregnant hillbillies some attack their van others ask for help.

This new reality comes across as you read the book, you can't help thinking this may be more fact than fiction, this may actually be the "new reality" that we find ourselves in after a major incident involving NBC weapons.

The pair become an unlikely kind of Bonnie and Clyde of the Medical world on the run from the Government.

The story builds as they weave in and out of the dead body strewn streets. I found the tension between the breast loving Rick and the sexy doctor Sanchez interesting because they have to work as team if they want to survive. When the mutual contempt and rivalry peak they both find that they are both in danger, so they must cooperate.

The intellectual point at the core of the book is ever present mob mentality. looters first steal the TV OK motive theft, but the big question is why do they have to burn down the store? Why go mad raping and killing and acting like animals?

The riots in the UK came only weeks before I read the book. It was observed that rioters became possessed with a kind of madness they risked 5 years in jails (UK courts don't like looters) to steal a bottle of wine. as in the book rioters burned down buildings and risked killing people living in flats above shops and for what? A TV or a pair of trainers.

The book was hard to put down, the book is entertaining, gripping and in places it made me think and in others it made me laugh. In fact this author is brilliant and for a first book this is a good start.

The Rick character is flawed, for a start he is not a handsome Brad Pit type who blows rioters away with his M16, he saves the doctor from danger, and she saves him. The doctor is not a helpless daft woman who needs saving every five minutes.

Oh yes there are guns in the plot, In guns we trust is the unofficial motto of the book. The author bless her cotton socks is from Arizona,I expected some gun action and I expected some bad guys getting blow to kingdom come. The book did not disappoint. "Never get out of the boat" a quote from the movie Apocalypse Now", well in this book the quote goes like this "Never get out of the car without a gun and a face mask". There is a lot more to this book than shoot ups and desperate people asking the pair for help.

We follow the road and the story of Rick the sleazy breast lover and Sanchez the cynical, distrusting, but caring, idealistic doctor off into the sun set out west. Play music happy ending.

The author is on twitter [...]she is great fun and try pulling her leg about viruses or the CDC, go on I dare you. The book is highly recommended and I look forward to reading Marsha's next book.

This review was of the kindle edition

Paul Kendall Leeds, UK
on January 10, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
After a pandemic annihilates most of the population, this story follows a few survivors. The author does a good job of predicting what life might be like after something like a pandemic. The beginning of the book was a little difficult for me to get into but about the time I was ready to give up, the story grabbed my attention. The lead characters Teaya and Rick are intriguing to follow in the story as they struggle with what has happened and their own pasts.

This is also recommendable because it uses little foul language and doesn't have graphic sexual detail.
on October 29, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I had about a half dozen novels lurking in my Kindle, waiting for me to read. I opened them all and read the first few pages to get a sense of which would be a great read. When I got to H10N1 I found myself a dozen pages in before I even knew it. Done deal. This was the one.

There are quite a few post-apocalyptic novels out there, to be sure. Any number of these should be able to hold the interest of anyone into the genre. This book does a whole lot more than hold your interest. It grabs you by the undershorts, picks you up and says, "C'mon, Bubba. We're going for a ride."

I loved it.

The action was non-stop. Any breaks were well thought out breathers that built different but necessary story lines. I found myself cheering for Rick and Sanchez from the start. Their rocky and passionate relationship is an underlying current that only adds to the tension of the novel.

At first I wasn't sure about the Biosphere component but the author quickly proves its value and it was one of the most enjoyable sections of the book.

Grit, laced with humor and believable characters round out the completeness of this book. Highly readable and completely worth the download.
on August 10, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I recently read a similar length book in a 26 hour period. I've been trudging through this book for the last week and it finally hit me last night that I'm wasting my time. I'm not enjoying it. So far (this is in the book description so I don't think it's giving away any of the secrets of the plot) it's a PA (post apocalypse) story with two characters that don't get along. It would be like sitting in the back seat of someones car while they argue. Uggg. There's nothing exciting, scary, dramatic, or quite frankly interesting so far.

This one's not for me. I really wanted to like it, but couldn't.
on June 23, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
H10N1 is about a flu pandemic that leaves most of humanity dead. The first half of the book is straight adventure with plenty of dramatic flair provided by the protagonists who really don't like each other at the beginning of the story but grow to depend on each other for survival. The second half of the book is almost a straight romance with all the aspects of a romance: girl finds boy, girl loses boy, girl gets boy they live happily ever after in the post-apocalyptic sunset.

M.R. Cornelius is an excellent writer and I found no technical flaws with her story. Her research is impeccable, her character development infallible and her plot line plausible. I applaud Cornelius for combining the post-apocalyptic adventure genre with the romance genre; unfortunately the combination just didn't work for me. From the numerous glowing reviews it did work for a lot of readers. H1ON1 is a good story just not a great one.
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
This one really fooled me. I though I'd finally found a kindle ebook written by a writer who had mastered their craft. NOPE! The beginning is so much better than most books of this ilk, it's like it was written by a different---and better---writer. The intro suicide assistance hotline was damned clever. Chapter one was decent, too, the doctor seeming intelligent and decent. Then what happened, Cornelius? You set up two good characters and the moment they start talking...kablooey!

After your two protagonists get in the van your story just falls off a cliff into just another kindle apocalypse amateur written mess. The worst part of it, for me, was the contrived conflict in their dialog as they drive through the end of civilization bickering like morons. You know, there is REAL conflict and then there's just arguing over nothing and glib nastiness. Yes, it's a challenge to write good dialog, but bickering is not the answer.

Thank goodness for amazon's 7 day return policy on kindle books! Just go to manage my kindle and return for a refund. No problems. That's why I'll try anything...I just return the bad ones... and most kindle books are definitely worth returning.
on June 5, 2012
Format: Kindle EditionVerified Purchase
I got this for free somehow. I think it came up on a free book list.

A post apocalyptic novel about an epidemiologist (Dr. Sanchez) from the CDC, working in a NYC hospital after a flu epidemic ravishes the world. of course, Sanchez is a hottie, as are many of the chicks in this story.

She decides she does not like what is going on. The government is just issuing suicide pills to the afflicted, and working to protect the powerful. Everyone else is pretty much on their own.

Riots, fires, the works. Typical PA stuff.

So our hero grabs some supplies from the hospital and goes to steal a car so she can go somewhere else. It is not clear to me that she actually had a plan in mind, just up and decided to take off. She runs into a security guard of sorts (Rick) when she goes to steal a Hummer. She decides the Rick would be a good guy to run off with so they go off together. They steal the armored van that Rick has been using on scavenging expeditions instead, that just happens to have some kind of new engine that runs on water so it will never run out of gas, as the Hummer has a tracking device installed.

As they try to leave town, they get shot at a few times by the locals. Rick gives her a pistol to shoot. Apparently there is some kind of arms locker in the van as well as the magic engine that runs on water. The book actually says this about the arms locker "popped open a wall cabinet full of weapons -- everything from what looked like a rocket launcher to M-16s, handguns, and knives." Rick is forced to use a "high powered assault rifle" in their defense. I get a kick out of phrases like that. I wonder if there is such a thing as a "low powered assault rifle"? Or a "medium powered" one? Maybe it was one of the M-16s that was in the locker. if so, why not just say that?

They get out of town and along their way. At some point they decide to split up so Sanchez finds an abandoned vehicle and gasses it up from other abandoned vehicles and off they go. She decides a short distance down the road to stop to help a couple she finds along the road, and ultimately decides to give them the vehicle and go back off with Rick in the van with the magic motor that needs no gas.

They go off to Arkansas where Rick knows a couple people who have a pot farm. The pot farmers welcome them with open arms, even though they are barely able to survive themselves. a nasty militia group comes by and steals the van and blows up the pot farmers' house while they are all drunk/stoned.

Sanchez convinces them all to just leave and head out to Arizona to the Biosphere that a friend lives in, so they pack up and head out.

They get there and find the place is protected by automated LASER beams, but the friend gets them in.

After a few days, they lead a revolt against the "leader" of the few people living there because he has been playing video games instead of doing useful work, and they exile him outside the Biosphere.

The exile returns a short time later with an army of thugs and tries to take over. Apparently he can control the place via his cell phone remotely.

In the ensuing fight, several of the group are killed and Rick is gut shot, but they win out. He almost dies, but manages to pull thru and they leave the next day for some place in California they heard about on the shortwave radio where some guy they briefly met along the road lives and there is free power available from a local wind farm. They all live happily ever after in California apparently.

I couldn't make this up. This is what the author actually wrote.

It starts out as pretty good, but very little is really believable as the story unfolds. The author is clueless about most of the stuff being written about, so it makes it very hard for me to get into the story. Some of the medical stuff seems closer to something that is at least potentially possible, but most of the story is full of one implausible thing after another. I can take some of that, it is fiction after all, but it has to be tempered with a lot of stuff that really can happen.

The writing is pretty good, probably better than the story itself in some respects. Writing mistakes were fairly rare. I ended up trying to decide whether it was a 2 or a 3 star book. I ended up calling it a 3. I usually give 2 stars to books that are not very good but somehow I ended up finishing them anyway and this is better than those kind of books.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2014
Format: Paperback
I really enjoyed reading this book. I had a hard time putting it down, and when I was almost finished I couldn't!!! I was up till 2:00 a.m. because I had to see how it was going to end. I LOVE it when a book does that for me. I usually can't put them down because I want to see who falls in love, but in this case I had to see who lives, and how it will end. It was great.

The whole premise behind this book is absolutely terrifying for me. I love to read scary stories, just like I love to watch scary movies, BUT, when it is about something that could actually happen it's just plain scary.

There are some great characters in this book. Taeya Sanchez and Rick DeAngelo are my favorite, and have an interesting relationship. When they first start out on their journey to find a safe haven, they were not very nice to each other. It was actually kind of entertaining. Rick trying to prove what hot shot he was, and Sanchez trying to prove how smart she was all the time. Their relationship grows, and it is fun to read and see where it goes. Even in the midst of so much trauma.

Dr. Sanchez has a friend that works in the Biosphere in Arizona and she decides that is where she needs to go to help find a way to conquer the pandemic. In their travels to Arizona Rick convinces Sanchez to meet his friends Judith and Devin first. They are a couple who lives off the land and provide for themselves. They are such a great couple. All four of them take their knowledge with them to Arizona and to Sanchez's friend Mai. Judith helps bring the gardens back to life and the Biosphere back to working order before moving on.

If you are a germaphobe like me beware :). This book will work on those fears. I am blown away by the fact that when faced with the world wide pandemic people fight, instead of coming together. What is wrong with people? The world is coming to an end, and everyone seems to think that fighting, and killing is the best thing to do. How is that ever the best thing to do. But, it makes for a great story.

This book just good. It is well written. It's exciting, scary, creepy, and even humorous in spots. I really enjoyed it.

Now, and FYI, there is the f-bomb quite a few times in this book, and some sex, but it's not descriptive. I think it's an adult book, but it was really a great book.
Format: Kindle Edition
H10N1 is the first novel by M.R. Cornelius. Cornelius had first tried her hand at romance novels and using her own words, was a "dismal failure". But she did, "increase her repertoire of adjectives such as throbbing, pulsing, thrumming, vibrating, hammering, pumping". H10N1 is a post-apocalyptic thriller about a flu pandemic. If you've seen Contagion then you have an idea of what you are in for. I have not so that may not be a fair comparison. But I did watch Carriers. It can be streamed from Netflix if you haven't seen it. I think that is a better comparison, personally. The pandemic happens fairly quickly. Eventually you learn how it effects the whole world. But if you read or watched enough of these types of stories you know what's going to happen and H10N1 is no different. Same story, different plague. I was not happy for half of the book and didn't follow the story very well. I can't tell you what happened other than road trip, meet bad guys, run away from bad guys, repeat. The adventure portion of this book is not its strong point. Sadly, it's a thriller with few thrills. I also found the narrators voice to change from a sophisticated educated person to a frat boy making crude sex references.

What Cornelius does do well is the second half, when they reach the bio-dome. Don't worry, this is better than the Pauly Shore movie. So much better. I wish that the book started here. This is the gold at the end of the rainbow. The characters come to life and the story becomes interesting and memorable. Loved it all the way through to the end and the epilogue.

Cornelius did write romance stories previously and that clearly taught the author how to write about relationships. If Cornelius continues to focus on what she does best she will be very successful author.