Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

on August 9, 2009
I have had this water bowl for my dogs for about a year now, and it has been fantastic up until a few months ago, when it started to overflow. This occurred about the same time we got a new Anatolian Shepherd, so I just figured she had broken something in it. So I took the unit apart, and as like others have said, it is a very simple system, with a float on a lever, with a small rubber stopper, that presses up again the incoming water hole, and when there is sufficient pressure (ie.. the water bowl is full, lifting up the float) it shuts off the water supply by pressure. When I took the unit apart and looked at the rubber stopper, I noticed that the rubber now had an indentation in it. The incoming water hole funnels your garden hose down to about a 1/16-1/8" hole, so it comes through in a pretty high pressure. Well, apparently, the manufacturer expects this rubber stopper to have a pretty short lifespan, as if you look at the clip that connects the float to the assembly, there is a SPARE RUBBER STOPPER! You just pop out the old stopper, and put in the new stopper. Overflow problem solved!

SO if you can put a pressure regulator on your hose before the water bowl, to lower your water pressure, you will definitely maximize the lifespan of this item. However, it appears that it does in fact have a limited lifespan, that the manufacturer is aware of, but does not make well known, unfortunately.

Otherwise, it is great item, that does exactly as it advertises.
66 comments128 of 129 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2013
I got this yesterday based on its better reviews than some others. Some of its bad reviews were related to the bowl leaking at the hose connection. I now know why that is. It should thread right on to the male 3/4 inch hose threads, (which are slightly more coarse than a 3/4 inch pipe thread.) However, the female threads are 3/4 inch PIPE threads and therefore, too fine to properly grip the common hose threads. Any Ace Hardware, or ohers, will sell you the pieces you need to correct this issue, (about $5.00-$6.00). This is the only issue I've had so far, once I got it properly threaded, with the right pieces, there was no more leaking at the connection. The manufacturer really needs to correct this issue and send the product out with the right part. I used to work in a hardware store, so I'm familiar with this kind of stuff, others who may not be, will simply say it leaks, and and send it back.
11 comment44 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 27, 2009
I have owned other automatic waters.

Found out that if you use an inline pressure regulator, it lasts longer.
0Comment25 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 6, 2013
Being pretty handy, I made my own modifications that anyone else can do. Instead of using a garden hose (which can be toxic) or buying an expensive RV hose, I went to H-Depot, bought a Y Valve for the Spigot. I also purchased a pressure regulator (25psi) that screws onto the Y valve - hose fitting style. Then onto that I added a 1/4" tube adapter and ran 1/4" vinyl tubing to the dog dish. Mine is about 15 feet away from the Spigot. You then need a 1/4" tubing - 1/2" NPT brass adapter that threads onto the fitting on the water bowl. Teflon tape all fittings. No leaks, easy to install and it works great! Maybe Homelife can offer this as a kit for future models?
44 comments27 of 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 15, 2010
Nice idea but has a cheap plastic fitting that you can't tighten the hose to. Leaks if left snug if you try to tighten more the hose pulls out of the fitting. Had to go to Home Depot and buy a $6.00 brass fitting to fix the leaking problem.
on August 2, 2008
My dog used to have a nozzle that fit on the end of the faucet outside. He had to lick it to get the water to come out. This is so much better! The other only gave out a small stream and he had to lick at it for several minutes swallowing air with the water.

Pros-This product supplies endless fresh water. It is easy for the dog to drink out of. It decreased the air my dog swallowed over other automatic waterers that hook up to the faucet. My dog gets to drink as much as he wants.

Cons-green algae grows in the bottom. We just dump it periodically and wipe it out.

Summary-we will definitely be buying more of these as the need arises.
on September 4, 2012
After reviewing the automatic water dishes that were at the Amazon website, I choose the Aqua buddy 2 Quart Waterer over larger products made of Stainless steel. The advantage of the water container. 1) Size: cleaning the basin periodically, due to debris falling into the bowl is important to me. Larger basins are harder to lift and turn over. Size doesn't matter because it refills automatically anyway. 2) Materials are plastic (non-BPA). Even stainless steel will tarnish and rust. The smooth surface of these plastic containers will minimize the accumulation of algae. Weight: it is light so that I can lift the bowl for cleaning.
review image
on September 2, 2008
Looks well-designed, has a nice clean look, connects easily and fills up perfectly, right near the top, looking like it will work as advertised. However, it constantly leaks a very small amount and over the course of a few hours will begin to overflow, defeating the whole purpose of it. I took the whole thing apart and tried to fix it, but it is a design flaw in the seal.

If you have several pets that are constantly drinking water, you will probably never notice this, but to me it is very annoying and not worth buying the product.
on July 26, 2011
I needed an automatic watering system for my chickens. I have only 25 so I thought this would do just fime. I almost didn't buy it because, of the negative reviews. I am so glad I did. It works great. The only issue was the attachment to the hose leaked a little but with the extra turn of the wrench all was fine. It never has given me a problem and my chicks are very happy to have constant water.
on December 7, 2011
This is the best automatic dog watering bowl. I have had several different kinds and they leak or over fill , With the design of this automatic dog watering system It does not over fill or leak.