4.0 out of 5 stars "Throttling" no big deal
The other review reveals the Bolt plan, which advertises itself as "unlimited" 4G is, in reality, not exactly "unlimited 4G." That's because the its speed is throttled once you've reached 1GB of data.

Published on June 28, 2012 by Real-Life Test

I was looking into purchasing one of these for our clinic but first wanted to make sure that an unlimited plan wasn't going to hobble us at an unreasonable spot.

Published on April 24, 2012 by J. W. House

4.0 out of 5 stars "Throttling" no big deal, June 28, 2012
This review is from: H2O Bolt Spider Hotspot (H2O Wireless) (Wireless Phone Accessory)

While that is somewhat disappointing, and definitely can make you feel sort of tricked, it shouldn't be a surprise. Truly unlimited 4G data (even 3G) is rare these days and slowing your speed down at some point is now the norm. What's important is *how* slow it becomes.

In this case, the slowdown is to 3G, which I don't consider much of a hardship, especially not when talking about AT&T's 3G, which I believe is one of the more consistently fast 3G networks. Even a mediocre 3G connection is sufficient for streaming, music, movies -- whatever. You may not even notice any difference. And that's only after the first GB.

After that, the speed doesn't get throttled again. The rest of however much data you plow through is 3G and it is indeed, unlimited from then on.

For $50 a month.

To me, that's a steal. So, I think I'm gonna give it a try.

I gave this review four stars to counterbalance the two stars of the other one since neither one of us is really reviewing the product.

2.0 out of 5 stars Took twenty minutes to get a tech to tell me it's throttled at 1gig, April 24, 2012
J. W. House "joehouse" (Los Angeles, CA United States) - See all my reviews

Finding no information on their website regarding speeds, allowed traffic or throttling I clicked on their "chat with a tech" icon. It took a tech twenty minutes of me asking very specific questions to finally fess up that the plan was throttled upon hitting 1 gig of traffic.

I'll be looking into other services.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, November 13, 2013
The spider works well! When we looked at the website to check the service in our area, it wasn't the best. It was a notch below.
When we tested the spider we realized that a notch below the best means it only works well outdoors or right at the window. We had to look for a "sweet spot" in the house. Once we found it, it worked fine. It is our primary source of internet for our house since we are transients and don't want the hassle of installation charges and contracts, etc.
It works well for netflix. We don't use HD, though as we watch videos straight out of laptops (again, we're transients).

Overall, this is a nice way to get internet quickly and at a good price ($50/mo.) . We were using our mobile phones (at&t) for internet. It was a huge relief to not worry about usage.

It's portable and can be brought along for roadtrips. We haven't tried that yet, though. One thing that was nice was we had internet even when the power went out due to a storm cause the spider has a battery.

3.0 out of 5 stars Product is perfect and works well, July 25, 2014
Product is perfect and works well, however, the Bolt customer service is terrible. Paid bill one month and didn't have service and had to fight with them for hours on the phone and no one could help me. Called back numerous times until someone FINALLY got service back on but it took a lot of phone calls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomeness ; the bad reviews are nuts., November 29, 2013
Kristin Bunner (Winston-Salem, North Carolina, US) - See all my reviews
I love it!! Seriously it was so easy to install I just plugged it in, called the company, paid them and boom internet! It's actually unlimited and I for one haven't noticed any speed decrease at ALL! It's one of the fastest wifis I have ever seen and I'm a 7.34 GBs in usage! It's awesome! Particularly as I swapped form NetZero and they had me on a 49$ plan that ONLY gave 8GBs. I have no complaints at all and think that this is the product for anyone that needs an internet!

1.0 out of 5 stars 3rd rate product selling at a first rate price, June 23, 2014
Cold Ethyl (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
I'm in the best location for reception for this wifi bolt but have nothing but problems.
1 Streaming- Youtube and netflix buffers every 15 minutes. Add 20 minutes onto the length of the movie to get through it.
2 Desktop computer- When it comes to surfing, H20Bolt can't surf. It would be more honest if they called it, "being pulled on a tire tube" because this ain't fast.
3. Multiple users- NEVER let more than one person use this garbage internet provider. If you do, hopefully you don't have to work the next day because this is slower than an 80 year old on a golf coarse.

Truly, I'm not lying or trying to be mean. But I was with Clear for 4 years and loved it. This bolt is supposed to be the same thing but it's not. It is a joke.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, May 11, 2014
Works perfectly fine if you have service in your area. But, it is literally impossible to recharge, and it was nearly impossible to charge it in the first place. I paid for this, and a month of WiFi (after two weeks of calling to get it set up--- irritating!) And I could not get them to charge me for another month of WiFi. Every time they told me they would have someone responsible in that area call me back to set it up. THREE TIMES and it never happened. Gave up and I have a useless $90 hotspot. Don't waste your time.

5.0 out of 5 stars great purchase, January 28, 2014
Great speed internet. I placed the hotspot by the window got great strength of signal. I had to call h2o to help me activate it

1.0 out of 5 stars received after delivery man put it in a hard to find spot., February 24, 2014
Didn't work well not sure if just this one or the area. After it took time to find the package we took all setup time to realize no signal in area needed. Warning try local buy local. Friend has this in nearby town with no problems.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hotspot, July 21, 2014
Works great when there is a signal. The coverage is kind of hit or miss though.

H2O Bolt Spider Hotspot (H2O Wireless)
H2O Bolt Spider Hotspot (H2O Wireless) by Locus Telecommunications, Inc.
Click for more info