5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Take on the Classic Game for Younger Children, January 6, 2010
goonius (a room in a house on a street in a city just like any other.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
We put this in my 4 year old daughter's stocking this year for Christmas, and we've gotten a great deal of play out of it since. It's a great deal of fun to play because, with only minimal assistance and suggestions, my daughter can rely on luck, which puts the two of us on a level playing field. I don't have to 'dumb down' my playing to give her a fighting chance, which makes it more fun for me too!

The game plays pretty much like the classic game of Yahtzee. There's a pad of paper with a similar layout to the Yahtzee scoring system, only replaced with animals, and symbolic shapes to signify the 'full house' and other scoring combinations. We actually play without the second half of the sheet, only playing the top half of the sheet because it overwhelms my four year old. The scoring is a little different also, with the bottom half of the sheet being mostly lower-scoring combinations versus that being the big payday in original Yahtzee.

There are five dice with six animals; a puma, an elephant, a camel, a snake, a baboon, and a parrot. Each is color-coded for ease of recognition, and matching with the scoring sheet.

Even my not-quite two year old can get in on the fun with this one, which is nice because she so often gets excluded from games to a great extent. All of our card games are too old for her, Animal upon Animal requires too much skill, and Sochen Zochen is just beyond her capabilities. But with this one she can get her turn rolling the dice and feel like she's a 'part of the game' even if she isn't really aware of scoring or the actual gameplay. She really likes the baboons on the dice :)

The tin makes nice storage, and is used for rolling the dice in as well, and it does come with four small pencils, which seemed to mark up the dice terribly. They need their own separate bag, as the dice needed a really good cleaning first time we opened the game.

All told, this is a great game, in a perfect, durable small package (great for taking on vacation!), with playing possibilities for a large range of ages. I highly recommend it.

Also, if you are concerned with country of origin, the game and its pieces are made in Germany.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little game, February 11, 2009
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
Yes, this game is very small. All of the pieces fit inside the tin, which is used as the cup for the dice, which is a brilliant idea. My three girls 3,5, and 11 all enjoy this game. My younger two don't understand the scoring aspect, but still enjoy this game; while my 11 year old is able to understand the scoring and pick the best use of her rolls. We are a gaming family, and play a game before bedtime every night. We play this game probably once every other week, it's not an absolute favorite but still well liked. However, my youngest is fairly sensitive to sound, this game is pretty loud (shaking wooden dice in a tin can!) Otherwise, we would probably play it more often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for young kids, March 8, 2007
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
This is a fun game for pre-math children, but anyone of any age can enjoy it. Plays just like Yahtzee but with animals on the dice instead of numbers.

5.0 out of 5 stars fun and easy, December 31, 2007
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
It was fun to play and easy to score. The dice are a little larger than regular numeral dice. Because there are no numbers the scoring is a little different. There is no chance or small straight (there is a large straight where you roll one of each animal). Instead there is two pair. All in all it was a quick game and fun to play because of the animals. The entire game comes in a small round tin that can be used to roll the dice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for little ones and big ones!, May 27, 2014
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
Our whole family loves this game, from the 3 year-old up to the 48 year-old and Grampa too! Such a great way to play yahtzee while little ones are learning to count and identify.

5.0 out of 5 stars Animal Yahtzee, January 3, 2013
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
My four-year-old grandson pronounced this game "awesome"! He especially likes the score pad, because I suspect it makes him feel like a big kid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun!, December 30, 2012
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
My 4yo got this in her Christmas stocking, and she loves it! It is a very easy game for little ones to play since the the dice have pictures on it. Great game for the preschool/Kindy set.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very cute and kid sized, December 8, 2012
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
This is a perfect little can to keep the whole game in. The sheets to write on are a little small to see, but fun. My 4 year old enjoys playing.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best little game ever, November 29, 2012
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
I bought this game for my daughter when she was 4. We still play this game now - even though she is 9! It truly is the best little game ever made. Simple, doesn't require a lot of space and quick (maybe 10-15 min per game). The whole family can play and it is much faster and easier for younger kids to understand than regular yahtzee. Highly suggest this game!! And remember to scan the mini score cards - so you can make more copies later. We very quickly used up ours and have made many many more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Travel-Size Game That Helps Teach Counting, February 26, 2012
Tatze (Pasadena, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: HABA Animal Yahtzee (Tier Yatzi) Game (Board Game)
My 5 1/2-year-old daughter, who doesn't really want to bother with numbers, loves to play this game. The animals are more interesting to her than the dots on regular dice. She knows how to fill out the point sheet by herself after only playing a few times. And she also quickly learned the strategy of first filling in the more difficult patterns. She is learning pattern recognition, counting, and strategy all without being turned off by those intimidating numbers. The canister is very small, so it will travel well for a quick game while waiting for dinner at a restaurant. We are giving this to all of our friends who are turning 6 this year!

Rate and Discover Movies