Only one study Bible provides more than you'd expect—right where you'd expect it. Imagine having instant visual and textual helps at your fingertips when reading any given passage of Scripture, and you've just begun to experience the HCSB Study Bible
. We're On the Same Page
In focus groups around the United States led by a world-class market research firm, three different survey methods yielded the same result: "Study Bible users" and "non-Study Bible users" alike agree that the combination of all features working together in a study Bible is more important than any single feature. There's no better way to raise one's level of interest and biblical comprehension than to get that "just right" mix of information and presentation. That's why the HCSB Study Bible
is designed so that every clarifying resource—a word study, cross reference, color photograph, alternate translation note, timeline, map, or relevant contemporary essay—is right there on the same page spread with the text to which it refers. A Number of Reasons to Read
At its core, the HSCB Study Bible
is about one thing: deepening your knowledge and understanding of God's Word. But there are a number of ways this unique Bible supports that paramount goal, including 15,000 study notes, 290 Hebrew and Greek word studies, 66 highly detailed book introductions, 62 maps, 27 topical articles, 20 charts, and 18 illustrations, all focusing on the most important topics and questions in Bible study. About the HCSB Translation
The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) is the work of one hundred men and women representing 17 different denominations and reflecting the very best in updated Bible translation scholarship. You will notice the attention to both accuracy and readability—how greater word precision makes for a tighter translation that clarifies the meaning from verse to verse. Above all, each contributor involved honors the Bible as God's inspired and inerrant Word. And that's why the text of Scripture itself is the uppermost feature throughout the pages of the HCSB Study Bible
Inside the HCSB Study Bible
- More manageable size than some study bibles—at 2,300 pages, the HCSB Study Bible has all of the features that users expect, but not more than users want.
- Two-column format, top to bottom, the highly preferred layout in research.
- 50% of the page devoted to text is the goal for as many pages as possible, so notes and ancillary content don't get in the way of the scripture.
- Pew-friendly notes—focus on the most important concepts and are often in paragraph form, always in an accessible style and tone.
- Fewer photos, more thoughtfully placed—the highest-quality and appropriate images for the text on the page, from the leader in 4-color Bible reference.
- References—enhanced prominence with color and located in between the columns of text.
- 4-color verse and reference designations help readers to visually move from notes and references back to the text.
- Readability—not only is the Bible text itself in a readable 9-point format, but the study notes are in a 7.5 point, uncompressed type so they will be easier to read.
- Horizontal instead of vertical timelines—the clear preference, and to give additional context, the timelines integrate Biblical and nonbiblical events.
Praise for the HCSB Study Bible
"The HCSB is a translation that the common man can read with confidence and understanding." —Gary D. Chapman, author, The Five Love Languages
"I love the accuracy of (the HCSB). I love that it champions the veracity of God's Word... this is a version I’ve been looking for." —Beth Moore, author, Praying God’s Word
"I really appreciate the HCSB translation. It is very readable, with a great reference system." —Charles Colson, coauthor, How Now Shall We Live?
"The HCSB Study Bible is a marvelous tool to help open up even more the message of the Bible. A real gift to the church." —Darrell Bock, Dallas Theological Seminary
"A fine new translation now has a study Bible with notes by solid scholars. I am happy to commend it to you." —Mark Dever, Capitol Hill Baptist Church
"The strength of the HCSB Study Bible lies in the recognition and emphasis on the supremacy of Scripture. Helpful tools are immediately accessible to engage the student of the Bible with the ultimate purpose of life transformation. Utilization of knowledge from distinguished scholars serves as a tremendous asset." —Stephanie Edge, Union University
"First, you'll love this translation! I've had the privilege of reading every word, every line, and every paragraph of the HCSB. You'll discover it's 'friendly' and yet very true to the biblical text. Second, the HCSB Study Bible will motivate you to both read and study the Bible. The explanatory notes are clear, concise, and based on careful interpretation." —Gene A. Getz, Center for Church Renewal
The Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB) translation team includes one hundred men and women representing 17 different protestant denominations and reflecting the very best in updated Bible translation scholarship. Above all, each contributor involved honors the Bible as God’s inspired and inerrant Word. In addition to the core translation team led by general editor Edwin A. Blum, as well as the Holman Bible editorial staff, contributors to the HCSB Study Bible include Jeremy Royal Howard, Craig L. Blomberg, Gary Habermas, Walt Kaiser, Mary A. Kassian, Andreas Köstenberger, Robert A. Stein, Ed Stetzer, and dozens more.